OT: Grillmasters, How do you marinate and grill your ribs? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Grillmasters, How do you marinate and grill your ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
This is my Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Smoker about which I previously posted. Yeah, it's small but very effective. I used to use a large stick burner and it was a giant PITA. Do your really care about what anyone else thinks, jleves?
IMG_5273.JPG

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
View attachment 14294
Here is the thing with 3-2-1. You sound like you know what you are doing, but I don't recommend it for beginners as there is a propensity for the wrap process to turn the ribs to mush is you're not careful.

3-2-1 is also only the formula for full rack of spare ribs. Use that method on St. Louis or baby backs and they will be destroyed quickly. When I wrap St. Louis I usually go 2.5 - 1 - 45 or something like that. Learn the "bend test" for donenss. And then when you really get addicted, build your own smokers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 52

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
This is my Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Smoker about which I previously posted. Yeah, it's small but very effective. I used to use a large stick burner and it was a giant PITA. Do your really care about what anyone else thinks, jleves? View attachment 14293
I honestly don't know enough to have my own thoughts. Basically, I see two camps - one that says for the best bbq, you have to use charcoal and another that says electric is so close and so much easier that it's not worth going with the charcoal solution. And then I'm going to be building an outdoor kitchen, so I have options for grills and smokers and generally just want information, opinions and ideas. In the end, I'll make up my own mind but right now, RFI seems a good idea.

Reaction Score
Smoking/grilling without cold beer is a violation of Missouri state law.

Having lived in KC I'd say doing anything without a cold beer is in violation of Missouri state law.

Reaction Score
That's what scares me the most. 60 to 100 bucks I want to have something that turns out good. It's damn near impossible to mess up a pork butt or dry out ribs, but even if you did the cost is less than half that of brisket. I'm not hurting for money but I don't want to through 60 bucks down the drain

So if you screw up a brisket, cube it and sauce it and call it burnt ends and be done with t. Yeah it's not true burnt ends, but not also not miles and miles from the real burnt ends that you'd get called out for it - unless you live in KC.

Reaction Score
So if you screw up a brisket, cube it and sauce it and call it burnt ends and be done with t. Yeah it's not true burnt ends, but not also not miles and miles from the real burnt ends that you'd get called out for it - unless you live in KC.

Problem for me also is that I'm a regular at the local bbq spot which is pretty damn good. Their burnt ends are on point. In sure my failure wouldn't come close to what I buy there. But I'll still probably try at least once.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Problem for me also is that I'm a regular at the local bbq spot which is pretty damn good. Their burnt ends are on point. In sure my failure wouldn't come close to what I buy there. But I'll still probably try at least once.

You definitely should. Just go in with a good plan.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Along with brisket another cut of meat try is Tri Tip.

It's a cut built for low and slow. And oh so delicious.

More popular out West, you may need a butcher to make the cut for you.

What is a Tri-Tip and why is it so good for the grill?
No, no, no, no, no, no!!! Tri tip is built for grilling. Direct heat (450 ish) for roughly 15 minutes on the fatty side, flipped and cooked on indirect heat until you hit about 125 internal. Try Bobby flays 6 hour marinade. If you can't find tri tip on the east coast ask your butcher for a triangle steak. That's what some call tri tip

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No, no, no, no, no, no!!! Tri tip is built for grilling. Direct heat (450 ish) for roughly 15 minutes on the fatty side, flipped and cooked on indirect heat until you hit about 125 internal. Try Bobby flays 6 hour marinade. If you can't find tri tip on the east coast ask your butcher for a triangle steak. That's what some call tri tip

I'll take the hit for misusing "low and slow". I was referring to the method you describe of searing and then moving to indirect. The idea is to let the fatty capelr down over the meat and as it cooks over indirect.

A great cut of meat easy to serve for a cookout.

Reaction Score
Damn we need a BY Rib Tailgate party in the fall.

My wife and fam loved my ribs by the way (many thanks to the BY), but you guys make me feel like an amateur. Didn't know there was so much science in cooking ribs.

Reaction Score
Looks like you picked a good time to make ribs.

Low pork prices make it a big summer for ribs
It looks to be a big summer for ribs, thanks to record inventories and lower prices. Restaurant chains including Chili’s and Del Frisco’s Grille are promoting the dish, and consumers are increasing grocery store purchases. Pork is cheaper because the US pig herd expanded to the largest on record for this time of year amid lower feed expenses. The wholesale ribs price was at a six-year low June 30. And there are signs prices could keep falling. Last week, hedge funds cut their bets on a hog rally for the first time in a month. Ribs are processed year-round and stored in freezers during fall and winter. Most are then consumed in the spring and summer. “Ribs have always been a favorite at Ruby Tuesday, but we’ve seen piqued interest,” said Peter Glander, the chain’s executive chef. “It’s a little bit of an indulgence.”

August_West

Reaction Score
Looks like you picked a good time to make ribs.

Low pork prices make it a big summer for ribs
It looks to be a big summer for ribs, thanks to record inventories and lower prices. Restaurant chains including Chili’s and Del Frisco’s Grille are promoting the dish, and consumers are increasing grocery store purchases. Pork is cheaper because the US pig herd expanded to the largest on record for this time of year amid lower feed expenses. The wholesale ribs price was at a six-year low June 30. And there are signs prices could keep falling. Last week, hedge funds cut their bets on a hog rally for the first time in a month. Ribs are processed year-round and stored in freezers during fall and winter. Most are then consumed in the spring and summer. “Ribs have always been a favorite at Ruby Tuesday, but we’ve seen piqued interest,” said Peter Glander, the chain’s executive chef. “It’s a little bit of an indulgence.”

yeah, Ive been picking up stuff for cheap for a while. Like real cheap.

on the other hand. Steaks are through the stupid roof. I cant even justify buying them much anymore. I dont like paying 23 dollars at a grocery store where it isnt even prime grade for a single rib eye I can eat in one sitting.

Reaction Score
3. Do not over cook ribs. There is a thin line between done and tough ribs.

Tough ribs are the product of cooking them at too high a heat, not the length of time you cook them. I've found a cook temp of 235 to 250 degrees to be the sweet spot.

Reaction Score

CA-I have to disagree. I've smoked tri-tip on my egg before and it was delicious!

August_West

Reaction Score
CA-I have to disagree. I've smoked tri-tip on my egg before and it was delicious!

Lets just make sure we are talking about the same things here.

Because in reality you are both right.

Tri-tip cut as a roast absolutely kick ass in a smoker. I agree. I did a roast in May. so good.

Tri-tip cut into steaks, (marinated is an absolute necessity here) and then cooked as CAHusky states is incredible too. (I just did some a couple weeks ago, Tri-tip takes marinades so well)

Reaction Score

Tri-tip cut as a roast absolutely kick ass in a smoker. I agree. I did a roast in May. so good.

Tri-tip cut into steaks, (marinated is an absolute necessity here) and then cooked as CAHusky states is incredible too. (I just did some a couple weeks ago, Tri-tip takes marinades so well)
Agreed. I'm referring to smoking the entire roast.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Not sure why I was so adamant they needed to be grilled and not smoked the other night. I think i was drunk. In any event, I am talking about a tri tip roast and , in my opinion, they are much, much better grilled although they can be effectively smoked. I just don't know why someone would put the time and effort in to smoking one when the much shorter cook on the grill provides a far superior product. Just the opinion of one man who happened to grow up in the heart of tri tip country. Brisket, beef clod, pork butt/shoulder I agree wholeheartedly need to be smoked. Smoking tri tip is just a waste of time to me.

August_West

Reaction Score
Not sure why I was so adamant they needed to be grilled and not smoked the other night. I think i was drunk. In any event, I am talking about a tri tip roast and , in my opinion, they are much, much better grilled although they can be effectively smoked. I just don't know why someone would put the time and effort in to smoking one when the much shorter cook on the grill provides a far superior product. Just the opinion of one man who happened to grow up in the heart of tri tip country. Brisket, beef clod, pork butt/shoulder I agree wholeheartedly need to be smoked. Smoking tri tip is just a waste of time to me.

It comes out nice. Try it. Dont impart heavy wood to it. I did mine a perfect medium rare through every inch. Not an outer ring cooked more.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It comes out nice. Try it. Dont impart heavy wood to it. I did mine a perfect medium rare through every inch. Not an outer ring cooked more.

I've done them. Just like them better grilled so always do them that way now. I really need to break out the smoker more often. I used to cook on it every week during the summer but haven't used barely at all in the last 2 years. I've been looking at moving away from my UDS (charcoal/wood) and going back to a Traeger. So much less work. I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Reaction Score
Wow! Not so fast, I'm not a Ruby's fan but there ribs are good. Now with all these great recipes I would gladly come to anyone 's house and drink beer and eat ribs. Willing to travel, after all its summer time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom