OT Grill question | The Boneyard

OT Grill question

Reaction Score
Helped a neighbor move and he gave me his weber grills genesis (older but mint condition)

The grates look porcelain and well taken care of.
What do you use to clean the grates.

Any Amazon link would help?

Reaction Score
Not sure if you have a pressure washer but I found that using a pressure washer with a regular degreaser works well.

And you can clean the entire grill.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm of the school that a reasonable amount of buildup = flavor. Once I get chunks in the corners, then I'll break out the brush. Your flare ups will come from the flavor bars, so you want to make sure you get any major buildup off those. Be gentle, those things rot out after a few years.

One thing about the Genesis you should know is that you need to take care aligning the bottom sliding part. The hole will always hit the drip tray, but if you leave the slightest opening in the front or back of that sliding piece, you'll get drippings on your deck or patio.

Reaction Score

Or just do this.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Just let that sucker burn for a while on high heat. Them brush it.

While spraying the grates with water, boils off all the gunk. I actually use a brush that has a water reservoir built in and I love it.

It has horrible Amazon reviews. Haha

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Fire is your best friend. Kills and cleans everything. If you have a huge buildup and want to do it quick, put some tin foil over the grates and start it up. Close the lid and leave it for 10 min. All that gunk will be gone guaranteed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
While spraying the grates with water, boils off all the gunk. I actually use a brush that has a water reservoir built in and I love it.

It has horrible Amazon reviews. Haha

I use this too and also love it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm of the school that a reasonable amount of buildup = flavor. Once I get chunks in the corners, then I'll break out the brush. Your flare ups will come from the flavor bars, so you want to make sure you get any major buildup off those. Be gentle, those things rot out after a few years.

One thing about the Genesis you should know is that you need to take care aligning the bottom sliding part. The hole will always hit the drip tray, but if you leave the slightest opening in the front or back of that sliding piece, you'll get drippings on your deck or patio.

I find that the flavorizer bars directly over the flame don‘t have any buildup. So I just rotate them when they start to show build up and it burns off. The stainless steel ones are worth it, as you said the others will eventually fall apart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom