Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pats less inept. Win.

Formula Pats are applying this year:
1. Control Game for 2-3 quarters.
2. Establish lead.
3. Offense goes quiet.
4. Defense can't stop Pillsbury Dough Boy.
5. Still have lead late.
6. Make mental errors on offense to turn ball over or quick change of possession.
7. Defense can't stop refrigerated roll of Pillsbury pop-ups.
8. Other team wins by a few points.

Only thing ruining the formula tonight was the Jets, rudely, dropping a pass for a 1st down that would have iced the game - no Patriot within 5 yards of Jet - hit him in hands. Also Jets, inconsiderately, drop a Brady pic on Pats last drive in regulation that he was throwing on the run to his right, upfield 30 yards, to a well covered Gronk, when all that was needed to win was a few first downs.

I'm starting to wonder whether the go-go offense causes the Pats to be winded late. They are really, really tough to watch late in games this year.

Reaction Score
The AFC stinks this year and the AFC East is the worst division in football. If the Texans can stay healthy they should have a fairly easy road to the Superbowl.

Reaction Score
Brady sucks at the long pass. He is a great short passer and great at reading defenses. The Pats did lose very close games that they could have won. They could easily be 7-0.

Reaction Score
Nobody in the NFL this year has looked like a Super Bowl team. Right now every team has major flaws. I'm sure at the end of the season there will be a team that gets its together.

Reaction Score
Nobody in the NFL this year has looked like a Super Bowl team. Right now every team has major flaws. I'm sure at the end of the season there will be a team that gets its **** together.
This is why I expect a team like the Giants or Packers to win this whole thing. I don't trust Atlanta, and those previous two teams have the experience and the quarterbacks able to make a run.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I got a kick out of the announcers...when a Brady pass touches a receiver in the hands they say it should have been caught. Didn't matter if the guy was draped by three defenders or if the receiver was stretched out horizontal while experiencing a seizure...they should have caught the ball

Reaction Score
This is why I expect a team like the Giants or Packers to win this whole thing. I don't trust Atlanta, and those previous two teams have the experience and the quarterbacks able to make a run.

As a Giants fan I would love to agree with you but watching the defense give up huge chunks of yardage against most everyone who can run is scary. I mean RG3 gets 40 if they don't turn it over against them........I think as they get healthy they could prove better on D but still having to play the Cowboys, Eagles, Steelers, Falcons, Saints, Ravens, RG3, Bengals and Packers this schedule will make it hard to make the playoffs!!!!

It's a whacked league.....Eagles beat the Giants they are the team to beat, 49ers rip up the Jets they are the best team, Giants put a hurting on the Niners they are the team to beat, texans get killed they suck then bunce back and beat the Ravens handily......there's a lot of this happening, inconsistency shall say by so many, should be interesting to see who rises from the dust this year!!

Reaction Score
Brady sucks at the long pass. He is a great short passer and great at reading defenses. The Pats did lose very close games that they could have won. They could easily be 7-0.

Can't agree with this.

When Brady had good downfield WRs, he excelled at the long pass. Suddenly, he has possession receivers and he stinks at the long pass? Ain't buying it.

The best downfield WRs for Brady were Randy Moss (who caught a ton of bombs from Brady) and David Patten. Otherwise they've had Troy Brown, Wes Welker, David Givens, Brandon Lloyd, none of these guys are burners.

Look at the game last night. Brady threw three very long throws. All three were on the money. Two were dropped right into the hands of Lloyd (he may have been interfered with on the first one), and Welker totally gave up on the third though it was on the money. Welker has never been a downfield threat. Lloyd also dropped a 15-20 yarder early in the game on a slide.

The problems with the Patriots have been on defense, but I assume since guys like Sergio Brown and James Ihedigbo and Josh Barrett are gone, the secondary will be at least as good as it was in the playoffs last year. Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson are essentially replacing scrubs at safety, and although they might not be starter quality, they are light-years improved over the safety gang from last year. Dennard is also an upgrade over Sterling Moore.

The offense is hurting right now because Gronkowski and Hernandez are shadows of themselves. The whole Patriots offense is predicated on TE play. That's why they look so sluggish. Gronk and AHern can't move out there. Couple that with multiple hurt offensive lineman, Mankins is out, Connolly too, and you're limited. Brady had the short passing game last night because they were worried about him staying in the pocket with street free agents like Thomas, Wendell and McDonald in the middle.

I thought Brady was precise and on target last night.

Reaction Score
I got a kick out of the announcers...when a Brady pass touches a receiver in the hands they say it should have been caught. Didn't matter if the guy was draped by three defenders or if the receiver was stretched out horizontal while experiencing a seizure...they should have caught the ball

Are you referring to the perfect throws to Lloyd? They were right on the money.

Reaction Score
Have you watched the Patriots play this season? The Patriots secondary play is the worst I've ever seen, and it seems like that's been the case for years now. At this point I have to assume its coaching, no matter who they bring in, it seems like these guys never, ever turn their head to make a play on the ball.

Can't agree with this.

When Brady had good downfield WRs, he excelled at the long pass. Suddenly, he has possession receivers and he stinks at the long pass? Ain't buying it.

The best downfield WRs for Brady were Randy Moss (who caught a ton of bombs from Brady) and David Patten. Otherwise they've had Troy Brown, Wes Welker, David Givens, Brandon Lloyd, none of these guys are burners.

Look at the game last night. Brady threw three very long throws. All three were on the money. Two were dropped right into the hands of Lloyd (he may have been interfered with on the first one), and Welker totally gave up on the third though it was on the money. Welker has never been a downfield threat. Lloyd also dropped a 15-20 yarder early in the game on a slide.

The problems with the Patriots have been on defense, but I assume since guys like Sergio Brown and James Ihedigbo and Josh Barrett are gone, the secondary will be at least as good as it was in the playoffs last year. Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson are essentially replacing scrubs at safety, and although they might not be starter quality, they are light-years improved over the safety gang from last year. Dennard is also an upgrade over Sterling Moore.

The offense is hurting right now because Gronkowski and Hernandez are shadows of themselves. The whole Patriots offense is predicated on TE play. That's why they look so sluggish. Gronk and AHern can't move out there. Couple that with multiple hurt offensive lineman, Mankins is out, Connolly too, and you're limited. Brady had the short passing game last night because they were worried about him staying in the pocket with street free agents like Thomas, Wendell and McDonald in the middle.

I thought Brady was precise and on target last night.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Are you referring to the perfect throws to Lloyd? They were right on the money.

It may prove to your comment that Lloyd is no burner but he to sky for one while draped and the ball went off his hands. Not exactly an easy catch but the announcers made it seem easy.

Overall...I think Brady did his best like always

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Have you watched the Patriots play this season? The Patriots secondary play is the worst I've ever seen, and it seems like that's been the case for years now. At this point I have to assume its coaching, no matter who they bring in, it seems like these guys never, ever turn their head to make a play on the ball.

The facing the receiver defense is mindboggling obscene. And man, when they a team to 3rd and long...you know they are gonna throw deep and get that interference call every time.

Reaction Score

This argument doesn't pass muster because the DBs who leave the Patriots do not go on to play elsewhere. They are just bad. I mean, Barrett, Brown, Darius Butler, they get cut, and then never play. The DBs who have been brought in like Gregory were regulars on their previous teams. So, yes, part of it is coaching, but also vanilla zone defenses which seem to confuse the players. But Belichick was a DB coach part of his career, and this is how he teaches it. At the end of the year, they seem to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom