OT: Grass Seed | The Boneyard

OT: Grass Seed

Reaction Score
Like many lawns, mine looked great for about 2 weeks in the mid May. Now it's browning up despite 300ft of garden hose and various timers operating 6 impact sprinklers. I put down crabgrass preventer in early spring and plan on seeding in September.

I've just learned of a special seed blend developed by URI called URI #2 that is supposedly formulated for the New England/Northeast. Does anyone have any experience with this seed blend or know where to get it near Glastonbury?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
discussed often here. my spin, if you have lots of sun? zoysia. the climate here in Connecticut has changed. now iffn we don't get some rain real soon, well, let's just say you is whizzin up a rope with that 'watering the lawn' jibberjabber… of course, if you had the zoysia, it'll just be snoozing, all brownish/yellow like until the rain comes back, but since it is wholly uniform in appearance, I think that it looks tight, as compared to your neighbors hot mess.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
discussed often here. my spin, if you have lots of sun? zoysia. the climate here in Connecticut has changed.

Might still be a bit risky. While climate change has brought the southern part of the northeast into zoysia territory, if you plant it this fall and you get a nasty cold winter, you're probably not gonna be all that happy with your lawn come spring. It may work fine nearer the Sound, but inland, I'd be cautious.

We're now firmly in zoysia territory in Pgh and I've looked into it, but pretty much no brick and mortar home & garden places sell it yet as they're unconvinced. Online only. I tilled my side yard a couple of weeks ago as it was all moss, clover and weeds, and am letting it lay fallow, after mixing in some peat moss and topsoil. Might sod it next year with zoysia if the weed issue continues.

All our stores sell bags of crap labeled "Penn State Mixture". Given the clay soil here, a lot of it is fairly shallow root stuff, so it sucks on my lawn. I've had horrible drainage issues and tons of moss that took me a year to eliminate. Now using mixes heavy in fescues and it's working out OK so far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get all my seed from the place below for landscaping and site work on my jobs. Pretty sure they carry the URI #2. I haven't personally used that seed so can't vouch for it

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Might still be a bit risky. While climate change has brought the southern part of the northeast into zoysia territory, if you plant it this fall and you get a nasty cold winter, you're probably not gonna be all that happy with your lawn come spring. It may work fine nearer the Sound, but inland, I'd be cautious.

We're now firmly in zoysia territory in Pgh and I've looked into it, but pretty much no brick and mortar home & garden places sell it yet as they're unconvinced. Online only. I tilled my side yard a couple of years ago as it was all moss, clover and weeds, and am letting it lay fallow, after mixing in some peat moss and topsoil. Might sod it next year with zoysia if the weed issue continues.

All our stores sell bags of crap labeled "Penn State Mixture". Given the clay soil here, a lot of it is fairly shallow root stuff, so it sucks on my lawn. I've had horrible drainage issues and tons of moss that took me a year to eliminate. Now using mixes heavy in fescues and it's working out OK so far.
I believe that now, summer begin, is the best time to plant the zoysia.

Reaction Score
I've had really good luck with Pearls Premium. Used to get at Whole Foods in CT, but WF no longer carries (unless that changed). I put some older Scotts down in some bare spots this past fall and spring, but still waiting for anything to grow. Plan C??

And probably not good time to plant w heat / lack of rain / watering restrictions.

Reaction Score
I believe that now, summer begin, is the best time to plant the zoysia.
Used to be able to get plugs by mail order. Tried it one year... not 1 of 500 plugs took. My father did it about 50 years ago to fill in the baseball field we made in the backyard. Still doing ok.

Reaction Score
It’s been bone-dry and scorching hot.

Your lawn is dormant. Enjoy the break from mowing - it’ll be back.
Definitely enjoying the break, but it's like a zen moment for me to mow the lawn during the month of May when even the shittiest lawns look halfway decent.

Reaction Score
discussed often here. my spin, if you have lots of sun? zoysia. the climate here in Connecticut has changed. now iffn we don't get some rain real soon, well, let's just say you is whizzin up a rope with that 'watering the lawn' jibberjabber… of course, if you had the zoysia, it'll just be snoozing, all brownish/yellow like until the rain comes back, but since it is wholly uniform in appearance, I think that it looks tight, as compared to your neighbors hot mess.

Zoysia is awful. Turns brown by early October, spreads into beds and across borders, and is late to green up in the spring. It’s lower maintenance in the summer but you have to rake the crap out of it in the spring time in order for it to come in.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Lawns may look nice when they are green and manicured, but large expanses of grass lawns are actually bad for the environment. The more yard I can cover with native shrubs, flowers, etc. the better. Less maintenance and better for the wildlife and environment.

Reaction Score
Zoysia is awful. Turns brown by early October, spreads into beds and across borders, and is late to green up in the spring. It’s lower maintenance in the summer but you have to rake the crap out of it in the spring time in order for it to come in.
My backyard which adjoins the neighbors has been largely taken over by the zoysia they have. It looks nice when it’s green and certainly is uniform as it chokes out everything else but it took for freaking ever to green up this year. Just like you said, gotta take all the dead stuff up for it to come in. Also it can be a pain in the ass to mow if you let it get even a little too long.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lawns may look nice when they are green and manicured, but large expanses of grass lawns are actually bad for the environment. The more yard I can cover with native shrubs, flowers, etc. the better. Less maintenance and better for the wildlife and environment.

Yup. Bigger waste of space than cemeteries and golf courses so many better things you can do with property than a manicured lawn.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yup. Bigger waste of space than cemeteries and golf courses so many better things you can do with property than a manicured lawn.

I promise to join your mailing list after I sell my house.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

Do not get me wrong I love golfing and see a need for courses, but I do not really get the obsession with large grass yards, especially single seed yards. Very unnatural. I have two acres and keep about half an acre of grass for the kids to play, but the rest I have begun to replace with native plants and gardens that are nice scenery and much more natural than these cookie cutter plots that society has made the "norm."

To each his own though. Plant grass seed that is meant to be in the area you live to cut down on fertilizer and watering requirements. Those are the real negative impacts that lawns have on the environment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty sure this thread is telling me that my lawn is zoysia...takes forever to get green. Invades beds. Nice to look at when it's mowed, but yeah, wouldn't recommend.

Reaction Score
White Dutch clover. Greens nicely, provides charming white blossoms that nurture bees, enriches your soil with nitrogen-fixing nodules, and learns swiftly how to grow just below your lawnmower blade setting.

Reaction Score
Like many lawns, mine looked great for about 2 weeks in the mid May. Now it's browning up despite 300ft of garden hose and various timers operating 6 impact sprinklers. I put down crabgrass preventer in early spring and plan on seeding in September.

I've just learned of a special seed blend developed by URI called URI #2 that is supposedly formulated for the New England/Northeast. Does anyone have any experience with this seed blend or know where to get it near Glastonbury?
Fine fescue, tall fescue, rye grass, and Kentucky blue grass and Texas bluegrass. Not sure about the proportions. Also crabgrass preventer won't work once the crabgrass seeds from the prior year germinate. They germinate once the soil temperature hits 65 F, which could be anytime between late March to early May.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good to know. Thanks.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Fine fescue, tall fescue, rye grass, and Kentucky blue grass and Texas bluegrass. Not sure about the proportions. Also crabgrass preventer won't work once the crabgrass seeds from the prior year germanate. They germanate once the soil temperature hits 65 F, which could be anytime between late March to early May.
You should add some California sinsemelia

Reaction Score
Wait for the last week of August and water till it kicks in. Its a waste to do anything now.

Reaction Score
If in Connecticut, I would go with Kentucky blue grass, perennial rye or tall fescue. You can go with a combo of all 3, commonly known as a northern mix. You could throw some fine fescue in if you have shade. Kentucky blue grass is the prettiest in my opinion. It is the grass of choice for most northern sport stadiums..Yankee, Fenway Citi, etc all use Kentucky blue grass.

Reaction Score
If in Connecticut, I would go with Kentucky blue grass, perennial rye or tall fescue. You can go with a combo of all 3, commonly known as a northern mix. You could throw some fine fescue in if you have shade. Kentucky blue grass is the prettiest in my opinion. It is the grass of choice for most northern sport stadiums..Yankee, Fenway Citi, etc all use Kentucky blue grass.
That’s the mix I use 95% of the time unless a client request something different

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom