OT: Good news for the USMNT game at The Rent | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Good news for the USMNT game at The Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is it wrong that I'd rather watch this (and I am) than the MLB All Star game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The All-Star game is terrible. It served a purpose decades ago when I couldn't see every team every day. Now it's just a waste of three days.

Reaction Score
Haven't they announced the attendance? I agree the crowd looks good.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I notice that the midlevel signage is missing. I wonder if they routinely take down the signs or are they paving way for a new banner scrolling LED scoreboards to wrap the stadium?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Got a text from someone there saying television attendance is an optical illusion.

Reaction Score
I notice that the midlevel signage is missing. I wonder if they routinely take down the signs or are they paving way for a new banner scrolling LED scoreboards to wrap the stadium?

Previously reported that ribbon video boards are being installed all around stadium in conjunction with end zone video board upgrade.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Previously reported that ribbon video boards are being installed all around stadium in conjunction with end zone video board upgrade.

Is that right? I missed the ribbon video board news. Knew we were getting a new scoreboard so this news is like Christmas morning to me! Would be great if this ribbon board would help out with 1st and 2nd down defense crowd noise.

Reaction Score
It wouldnt be an international US soccer game without one wtf call. Ummm...red card on the keeper? Crowd looked and sounded great. Not bad for a Tuesday night.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Haven't they announced the attendance? I agree the crowd looks good.
Announced attendance was 25k and change. As CTGoonie said, it was only the upper corners that were empty.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Beer $11/$15 wow
I'm not sure if the concession operations tonight were a dress rehearsal for football or not but -

-I believe we have a new concessions operator
-There were a handful of interesting new options (I had a hot dog topped with italian beef, broccoli rabe, and provelone for $7... it was ok)
-Prices are not even remotely fan friendly (in general) and need to be reduced across the board. It's gouging.
-I get it if you want to charge a lot for beers to discourage people getting hammered, but... these are the most expensive beers in sports it feels like. $10 for a Ten Penny (wasn't sure if it was 12 or 16oz). $11 for 24oz domestic lights.
-THESE WERE THE SLOWEST CONCESSIONS EVER. I visited multiple stands around the concourse. Across the board - well staffed - yet the slowest people ever. I can't even begin to describe. They NEED to fix it - there was only 25k there tonight.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We probably won't hear anything until of the day of the game. 25K seems to be the base for soccer at the Rent. I'm hoping for more than the 18,724 that came to the USMNT game in Portland.

Attendance - 25,432. Good time, the field looked great.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yeah, but it's actually a cost decrease. $11. for 24oz v. $8 for 16.

For comparison: the largest, most expensive beer at the ASG tonight was $11. The same as the Rent's entry point for a meaningless Gold Cup game.

Do. Better.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The field looked great and so did the crowd. I think someone said that 25K was the largest so far for a US Men's Gold Cup game. That's awesome and shows that the Rent is worthy of more USMNT games. Good turnout. Quick question...I was trying to tell from the quick shots on TV but is the new video board up yet? It looked bigger but not by much and I know TV makes things look different. I dunno how big the new board is going to be.

Also, in terms of crowd, remember that the Rent is not a soccer specific stadium so there were going to be empty seats. That was expected. The last Gold cup game in Salt Lake had empty seats and that was where Real Salt Lake play and they are a soccer specific stadium. Overall I think it was a great showing for the Hartford area and shows we are worthy of more games being played here. Fox Soccer studio crew gave some good shout outs to how great the field looked and crowd as well a few times during half time and pre-game.

Reaction Score
Not a soccer guy but the Rent had more cool atmosphere than 90 percent of the UConn football games I've been to (most since Rent opened). Must kill the Rent no-fun-police rent-a-cops to not tear up all the flags/signs. Having a full lower bowl and concentrated seating was helpful (better than fans all spread out).

After 10 years still can't believe they haven't figured out how to empty Rent quickly. Here's an idea - after the game, cut off Silver Lane from Pratt entrance to Silver Lane, disable the stoplights and make it all out-bound traffic. Give the (few) locals plenty of notice. would save a lot of headaches.

Harder to criticize slow concession service cause the folks are volunteers. That said, don't have to custom prepare every. single. order. How about having dogs/popcorn bags/beers lined up and ready to to go.

Hoping the ad signage down at the "ribbon" level is a sign the promised new scoreboards on the way. Still embarassing to have just two places to see score and time.

Reaction Score
I thought it was a good crowd for the game. We got a lot of help in that dept from the CR fans and everybody in our area of the lot was really having a party almost until the end of the BEL-CUB game. Must have been pretty empty in there for that one. It was smokin' hot out and I really think that may have made a difference of maybe a few k. Saw a few with not cover and that was a big no-no.

I didn't walk the stadium as much as I normally do and kept getting beaten to the concession stand by others in our group. After what we ate and drank outside that wasn't on top of the agenda. Field looked like a GC and I think contributed to some nice plays. Not a lot of goals but well played and competitive. A few totally blown calls right in front of us but overall not egregiously one-way. The players decided the game and that's OK. Most people involved in the event considered it a success and anyone who says otherwise wasn't there and has no concept of the size of the other fields in this tournament. Seriously, Tuesday night 95 degrees on arrival and a lot of moms brought kids because dads were working.

Reaction Score
945154_10201455905976578_799595404_n.jpg

1010849_10201455907816624_161217481_n.jpg

Scoreboard and Sam's Army rocked all night.

Reaction Score
Also, in terms of crowd, remember that the Rent is not a soccer specific stadium so there were going to be empty seats. That was expected. The last Gold cup game in Salt Lake had empty seats and that was where Real Salt Lake play and they are a soccer specific stadium.
Huh? I know what a soccer specific stadium is, but what connection are you trying to convey regarding attendance?

From the scoreboard picture above, is it really new? Or, is it just the video screen itself. The faded National Flag Blue board sure could use a new coat of paint, Maybe that's in the works as well, but more faded, no videos, and a bowl season takes all precedence.

Great crowd for the game, including the American Outlaws. Good for Hartford and our US "B" or so team's defeat of Los Ticos.

Side topic: Does Sam's Army still exist, or has it died a slow death?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Huh? I know what a soccer specific stadium is, but what connection are you trying to convey regarding attendance?

From the scoreboard picture above, is it really new? Or, is it just the video screen itself. The faded National Flag Blue board sure could use a new coat of paint, Maybe that's in the works as well, but more faded, no videos, and a bowl season takes all precedence.

Great crowd for the game, including the American Outlaws. Good for Hartford and our US "B" or so team's defeat of Los Ticos.

Side topic: Does Sam's Army still exist, or has it died a slow death?

Quick thoughts on the event. Game later.

Wow it was hot.

25k exceeds the capacity of most soccer specific stadiums in the US. Can't compete with Seattle, shouldn't try. A was a good showing.

Doubtful we'll ever get a qualifer against and team except maybe Canada. I'd say it was 35% Tico supporters.

I don't know how you folks park or get out but I was out in record time last night (on 91 by 10:08) and I stayed until the end. Same for FB, it rarely takes more than 15min from seat to Silver Lane/highway.

Noticed the new menu, hoping the prices come down. It all volunteers so every game is new people.

Definitely a plus atmosphere. The student section (and everyone else) at the FB games can learn a lot from the AO and the Tico fans.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Guy's a tool...

TheBackPage: Seriously Connecticut?? You can't sell out a 40,000 seat stadium for a Gold Cup game? Why would USA #soccer ever come back there for a game?

Must think East Hartford is Seattle.
He is the absolute worst. I used to listen to ESPN radio on the drive home every day... Can't do it with this guy on the mic.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I thought it was clear, my bad. My point was that I was not exoecting all 40, 000 seats to sell out and that we should be proud of getting 25k+. If the Rent happened to be a soccer specific stadium, 25k would have probably sold it out. I dunno exact numbers but I think most soccer stadiums hold less in the US? My point was it was a solid turnout.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
He is the absolute worst. I used to listen to ESPN radio on the drive home every day... Can't do it with this guy on the mic.

He hasn't been on the mic for 1410 in years . ...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
He hasn't been on the mic for 1410 in years . ...
Ha... You are right. It's the current crew I can't stand (the Bower Show). My bad!

Still, not a particularly intelligent comment from Page.

Reaction Score
I don't know how you folks park or get out but I was out in record time last night (on 91 by 10:08) and I stayed until the end. Same for FB, it rarely takes more than 15min from seat to Silver Lane/highway.

This^^^

Never have an issue (from old grass Red lot just over grassy knoll or from the Blue lots for last 7 years). I've had more issues getting out of high school games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom