OT: Good news for the USMNT game at The Rent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Good news for the USMNT game at The Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone know how ticket sales are doing for this match?

We probably won't hear anything until of the day of the game. 25K seems to be the base for soccer at the Rent. I'm hoping for more than the 18,724 that came to the USMNT game in Portland.

Reaction Score
I

I couldn't find that game streaming at all. Was disappointed. How did Landon look?

Landon looked like he wanted to do everything he could to get everyone else involved. He scored his goal on a PK. Good performance.

Reaction Score
Landon looked like he wanted to do everything he could to get everyone else involved. He scored his goal on a PK. Good performance.

In other words, like the best player on the pitch x2.

Reaction Score
Holden looks just as good as the moment. I know Holden plays centrally with his club, but I would really like to see him out right at some point this tournament. He is better than Corona, and if healthy better than Zusi at what Zusi does. I do not think he will get starts over Bradley and Jones in the middle though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Personal good news/bad news for the upcoming game:

Good News: DaMarcus Beasley has been named captian for the squad during the Gold Cup. Seems like a perfect time to break out my mint 2006 World Cup Beasley jersey.

Bad News: Somehow the jersey has shrunk severely while folded in the closet over the years. I don't understand it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Personal good news/bad news for the upcoming game:

Good News: DaMarcus Beasley has been named captian for the squad during the Gold Cup. Seems like a perfect time to break out my mint 2006 World Cup Beasley jersey.

Bad News: Somehow the jersey has shrunk severely while folded in the closet over the years. I don't understand it.

Has the Jersey shrunk? Or have you expanded?

Tight fitting is all the rage these days, so you shouldn't be too bad off....

Reaction Score
Speaking of jerseys, anyone know which style we'll have on for next week? CR uses same colors so it will be a sea of r/w/b regardless. Also, ticket sales? Our capacity way above Portland so it would be nice to get a good number. And apparently a real benefit to finishing first in group so the blizzard revenge game could be an emotional one.

34683-fd192e63c228187ed60824b4e2be3dbe.jpg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Speaking of jerseys, anyone know which style we'll have on for next week? CR uses same colors so it will be a sea of r/w/b regardless. Also, ticket sales? Our capacity way above Portland so it would be nice to get a good number.

Likely it will be the Where's Waldo's.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd love to go to this game. But unfortunately, I've a match of my own. Get to chase around D1 college kids for 90 minutes. I hurt for days afterwords. Why am I doing this?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also, ticket sales? Our capacity way above Portland so it would be nice to get a good number. And apparently a real benefit to finishing first in group so the blizzard revenge game could be an emotional one.

The attendance for these games have been inching up over the years. The last one drew over 30K for a friendly. I'm thinking 25K is realistic considering it's a B team. It is the most attractive game of the first round. I hope we can get a break from all of these thunder storms. The long-range forecast looks like very hot and less humid, no lightning. Hartford has a large West Indian population, I'm not sure if that has a crossover effect for Central American teams.

Reaction Score
Should be great tailgating weather! Kids are off. Midweek still but promoting the game (two 2-0 teams) could move those numbers up.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'd love to go to this game. But unfortunately, I've a match of my own. Get to chase around D1 college kids for 90 minutes. I hurt for days afterwords. Why am I doing this?

You do it for the same reason I do it; the game is too good to let go! Even if the knees go and the ankles go and the lungs go....can't let the game go!!

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
GK: Howard (Guzan) -TBD....(best guess at the 2018 backup to Guzan)
LD: Beasley - TBD...... Best remaining options (T. Chandler, Parkhurst, Lichaj)
CD: (Gonzalez) - TBD - TBD...... Best remaining options (Cameron, Onyewu, Bocanegra)
CD: (Besler) (Goodson)
RD: TBD - TBD - (Cameron) ...... Best remaining options (Cheruldolo, Parkhurst, Spector, Chandler) Oy, what a mess!
HM: (Jones)(Cameron)
M: Bradley - TBD.....Best remaining options (Holden, Williams)
LAM: (F. Johnson)(Donovan)
CAM: Dempsey
RAM: (Donovon)(Zusi)
ST: Altidore (Gomez) - TBD.....(I expect Eddie Johnson but would rather see Boyd in this spot to ride the bench)

Another convincing win over a far inferior opponent. At the risk of overstating performances against such squads, a few players have made the case for inclusion in the 2014 squad or at least another shot at the remaining qualifiers. A few have played their way out.

GK: No changes
LD: Beasley - TBD is still the starter F. Johnson may be moved back due to Donovon's return and Torres form. Castillo played well today going forward, but wasn't tested on D which has always been his issue.

CD: (Gonzalez) - TBD - TBD...... Best remaining options (Cameron, Onyewu, Bocanegra)
CD: (Besler) (Goodson)No one distinguished themselves. Onyewu will get his chance to show form, but I suspect he is just not a good fit (too slow, poor at marking) for this system.

RD: TBD-TBD Still no answers here. Time is growing short

HM: (Jones)(Cameron) No on Beckerman, No, no, no. Though at least he took a few shots down field today.
Most interesting today was the formation (4-1-3-2). Doesn't fit the personnel of the "A" squad. Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore, Donovan all need to be on the field, unless you push Bradley to HM they won't all fit. Holden will be a sub, so coming up short on gas after 60 min didn't hurt him.

LAM: Donovan (F. Johnson) I the commitment to 4-2-3-1 is as firm as I think, LD ends up on the wing due to a glut of central players and a need on the wings. With F. Johnson likely moving to LB, a spot may open up here or somewhere else. (Gomez may also be bumped to this spot behind Donovon)

CAM: Dempsey Donovan can play here too and is probably his best position, but it's still Dempsey here, with Torres showing some life, he may backup both Dempsey/Dovovan's spots.

RAM: (Zusi) Zusi gains by not playing. Playing in Donovan's old spot must make him nervous, but with LD needed elsewhere, Zusi has been doing the job of crossing the ball from the right and tracking back to assist whoever has been lining up behind him.

ST: Altidore (Gomez) - Wondolowski (whether there's 2 or 3 W's in his name) has grabbed hold of the third striker spot and will get to make his case to sub for Jozy if he tires or is not playing well. (5 goals in 90 minutes will do that). Gomez is now in a fight for the new guy offensive player spot. As stated, Gomez may be moved to backup LAM/RAM positions

Brek Shea is the big loser so far in this tourney. Rarely have I seen anyone punt so many crosses into the stands. He's likely out of the mix barring big and productive minutes for his club.

Best Guess 23: (Locks shown in bold, starters listed first)
GK: Howard-Guzan-Rimaldi
LD: Beasley-F. Johnson-Castillo
CD: Gonzalez-Goodson
CD: Besler-Cameron-Bocanegra
RD: Cheruldolo-Parkhurst
DM: Jones-(Cameron)
CM: Bradley-Holden-Torres
LAM: Donovan-(Torres)-(F. Johnson)
CAM: Dempsey-(Donovan)-(Torres)
RAM: Zusi-(Donovan)-Gomez
ST: Altidore-Wondolowski

I told you Zusi (even without being on the squad) had the best Gold Cup of anyone. LD showing and he lack of wing players locks a spot for Zusi even if it's as a back up. If Wondo, Holden, Gomez, and Torres show up over the last few qualifers, they can lock up roster spots. While all 5 Central Defenders and F. Johnson have probably locked up spots due to a lack of competition, they will need to maintain form and improve to be completely safe. There are likely 5-6 spots still completely up for grabs.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I have no clue about soccer but find myself watching it lately when it comes to Gold Cup and WC Qualifying matches.

I grew up with Landon and a few other key players but really enjoyed watching the kid who scored the hat trick, the kid in the dreads and countless other players who I've never seen before. For those who follow the sport more than I do can you explain to me how the US rosters are picked for national competitions like the Gold and World Cups? I know the WC is the grand daddy of them all, is the Gold Cup a AAA competition of sorts where young players get to prove themselves? Will Tim Howard be our goalie when we qualify for next Summer in Brazil or has today's goalie surpassed him?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I have no clue about soccer but find myself watching it lately when it comes to Gold Cup and WC Qualifying matches.

I grew up with Landon and a few other key players but really enjoyed watching the kid who scored the hat trick, the kid in the dreads and countless other players who I've never seen before. For those who follow the sport more than I do can you explain to me how the US rosters are picked for national competitions like the Gold and World Cups? I know the WC is the grand daddy of them all, is the Gold Cup a AAA competition of sorts where young players get to prove themselves? Will Tim Howard be our goalie when we qualify for next Summer in Brazil or has today's goalie surpassed him?

All National Teams are under the jurisdiction of the US Soccer Federation (USSF) they pick the coach who picks the team. With multiple competitions intertwined with the FIFA (global soccer governing body) calendar, certain competitions are given more importance than others, though each federation decides how important each match is and sends the appropriate team. FIFA has certain "international dates" throughout the year where Professional Club teams must release their players to international teams.

The World Cup is obviously the top event held every 4 years. Next in line are WC qualifying matches usually held on these international dates. The Gold Cup is held every two years. It is CONCACAF's championship and can very in importance depending on the year and where it falls in the international calendar. This year it runs up against training camp for European club season and was preceded by a round of WC Qualifying matches. As such, the "A" squads for teams heading to Brazil have been released to rest and prepare for the club season.

Everyone playing in this Gold Cup is either a fringe player from the past qualifying round looking to make the squad or a player left out of the last qualifying round on the comeback looking for playing time to show they are ready for the WC level. Most won't make it.

Howard is the #1 keeper barring injury or drop-off in form. The guy playing in this tourney is the clear #3. He'll make the squad as the emergency keeper (like the emergency QB in the NFL) but he won't make the 18-man match squad unless #1 or #2 is injured or suspended.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Another convincing win over a far inferior opponent. At the risk of overstating performances against such squads, a few players have made the case for inclusion in the 2014 squad or at least another shot at the remaining qualifiers. A few have played their way out.

GK: No changes
LD: Beasley - TBD is still the starter F. Johnson may be moved back due to Donovon's return and Torres form. Castillo played well today going forward, but wasn't tested on D which has always been his issue.

CD: (Besler) (Goodson)No one distinguished themselves. Onyewu will get his chance to show form, but I suspect he is just not a good fit (too slow, poor at marking) for this system.

RD: TBD-TBD Still no answers here. Time is growing short

HM: (Jones)(Cameron) No on Beckerman, No, no, no. Though at least he took a few shots down field today.
Most interesting today was the formation (4-1-3-2). Doesn't fit the personnel of the "A" squad. Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore, Donovan all need to be on the field, unless you push Bradley to HM they won't all fit. Holden will be a sub, so coming up short on gas after 60 min didn't hurt him.

LAM: Donovan (F. Johnson) I the commitment to 4-2-3-1 is as firm as I think, LD ends up on the wing due to a glut of central players and a need on the wings. With F. Johnson likely moving to LB, a spot may open up here or somewhere else. (Gomez may also be bumped to this spot behind Donovon)

CAM: Dempsey Donovan can play here too and is probably his best position, but it's still Dempsey here, with Torres showing some life, he may backup both Dempsey/Dovovan's spots.

RAM: (Zusi) Zusi gains by not playing. Playing in Donovan's old spot must make him nervous, but with LD needed elsewhere, Zusi has been doing the job of crossing the ball from the right and tracking back to assist whoever has been lining up behind him.

ST: Altidore (Gomez) - Wondolowski (whether there's 2 or 3 W's in his name) has grabbed hold of the third striker spot and will get to make his case to sub for Jozy if he tires or is not playing well. (5 goals in 90 minutes will do that). Gomez is now in a fight for the new guy offensive player spot. As stated, Gomez may be moved to backup LAM/RAM positions

Brek Shea is the big loser so far in this tourney. Rarely have I seen anyone punt so many crosses into the stands. He's likely out of the mix barring big and productive minutes for his club.

Best Guess 23: (Locks shown in bold, starters listed first)
GK: Howard-Guzan-Rimaldi
LD: Beasley-F. Johnson-Castillo
CD: Gonzalez-Goodson
CD: Besler-Cameron-Bocanegra
RD: Cheruldolo-Parkhurst
DM: Jones-(Cameron)
CM: Bradley-Holden-Torres
LAM: Donovan-(Torres)-(F. Johnson)
CAM: Dempsey-(Donovan)-(Torres)
RAM: Zusi-(Donovan)-Gomez
ST: Altidore-Wondolowski

I told you Zusi (even without being on the squad) had the best Gold Cup of anyone. LD showing and he lack of wing players locks a spot for Zusi even if it's as a back up. If Wondo, Holden, Gomez, and Torres show up over the last few qualifers, they can lock up roster spots. While all 5 Central Defenders and F. Johnson have probably locked up spots due to a lack of competition, they will need to maintain form and improve to be completely safe. There are likely 5-6 spots still completely up for grabs.

Nice post.

I have a couple of points (or counterpoints in some cases) to add.

1) I'm guessing you mean Rimando as the third keeper when you typed Rimaldi. If you did, I agree.

2) For better or for worse, Bocanegra has likely seen his last game as a US international. I would be shocked if Klinsmann brings him back. He's much more likely to bring back Timmy Chandler once he's healthy than Bocanegra.

3) Although it's still not clear to me what Klinsmann plans on doing with Beckerman, I think he had a really solid game today and I like the way he fills the defensive midfield role. In fact, I've liked him in that role over Jones for quite some time. I doubt Jurgen will start Beckerman over Jones anytime soon, but don't be surprised if Kyle is added to the main roster.

4) I believe that Eddie Johnson will also be on the final roster. I'm not sure if it happens at the expense of Torres or Gomez, but I'm pretty sure that he is back in Jurgen's good graces and will continue to be a fixture on the team.

Other than that, nice work. And I agree that it was a nice win today, even if it was against a much inferior opponent as you rightly pointed out...

EDIT: It's also going to be interesting to see what happens in the back with Brad Evans (Seattle), who has had three or four good international games in a row prior to the Gold Cup B Squad. He may also find his way onto the final squad.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I have 10 of 23 roster spots locked up, so needless to say that anything can happen over the next year. JK has made it abundantly clear that form and playing for your club trumps experience or ability. That said, he was always going to hold a spot for LD to claim. I feel the same goes for Cherundolo and Bocanegra, both have had injury or club issues (Bocanegra's club collapsed financially). Not that would or should be the first choice, because defenders in their mid-30's aren't ideal. I just don't see the quality in the back 4. Maybe they gel and stop allowing so many free runners at the goal. If they return to form for their clubs, JK knows what they can do and at least one will find a spot on the bench in not the starting XI.

Yes, Rimando. Show's how much of an afterthought the 3rd keeper spot is.

I would say EJ has a shot (the Gold Cup itself proves nothing), he and Dempsey are friends and work well together on the field. That alone might get him the last roster spot. He's fighting with Torres, Gomez, and Wondo.

Beckerman has shown you his best. AAAA-player in baseball. Good enough for a September call-up but not the playoff roster. If you watch him, he neither defends or attacks with any force. Mostly accepts wide open passes which he passes back or to the side. Rarely pushes forward and IMO consistently closes off half the field by the way he positions himself.

He is not beating out a healthy Jones (who starts for a Champions League team), and I have my issues with Jones. Cameron in two matches has shown more useful in that spot than Beckerman has ever shown and will be a serious challenger to Jones in the run up to Brazil. FWIW, Beckerman is light years ahead of Maurice Edu and Sasha Kljestan who are both brutal turnover machines. Unfortunately for Kyle, Michael Bradley is third choice for the DM spot, if necessary Holden or Torres will slide into Bradley's CM role.

Tactically for this team , I prefer the DM in front of the back 4 with Bradley going forward instead of the trading off he does with Jones. It's why Cameron, and in this tourney Beckerman appear to be better fits. Kyle is not out of it as JK sees something in him, but most see him as outclassed at the top international level.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
All National Teams are under the jurisdiction of the US Soccer Federation (USSF) they pick the coach who picks the team. With multiple competitions intertwined with the FIFA (global soccer governing body) calendar, certain competitions are given more importance than others, though each federation decides how important each match is and sends the appropriate team. FIFA has certain "international dates" throughout the year where Professional Club teams must release their players to international teams.

The World Cup is obviously the top event held every 4 years. Next in line are WC qualifying matches usually held on these international dates. The Gold Cup is held every two years. It is CONCACAF's championship and can very in importance depending on the year and where it falls in the international calendar. This year it runs up against training camp for European club season and was preceded by a round of WC Qualifying matches. As such, the "A" squads for teams heading to Brazil have been released to rest and prepare for the club season.

Everyone playing in this Gold Cup is either a fringe player from the past qualifying round looking to make the squad or a player left out of the last qualifying round on the comeback looking for playing time to show they are ready for the WC level. Most won't make it.

Howard is the #1 keeper barring injury or drop-off in form. The guy playing in this tourney is the clear #3. He'll make the squad as the emergency keeper (like the emergency QB in the NFL) but he won't make the 18-man match squad unless #1 or #2 is injured or suspended.

Thanks, Bub. So Landon's not a lock to make the WC squad?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Thinking a bit more about Beckerman's WC chances, there may be a need to have an extra DM. Jones has the most skill between him, Beckerman, and Cameron by a large margin. But, he is almost certain to miss one or more WC matches due to suspension as he is a card magnet and subject to outbursts. He also has a tendency to want to push forward, which would be great if that didn't keep Bradley, a much more dangerous attacking player, from pushing forward.

Ideally, these two would play off each other better with Jones favoring the defensive role all else being equal. This hasn't happened as well as it should. I suspect Jones doesn't feel the need to take a backseat to Bradley, and will tend to push forward when he shouldn't leaving an inexperienced defense exposed.

Since Bradley is no stranger to yellow card accumulation, the US could find itself a man or two down in central midfield. Now I think may of the attacking pieces are interchangeable, and you only need one of Jones, Cameron, or Bradley for the DM spot, but JK may think differently. Especially, if Cameron is the #1 backup in central defense. If that's the case I could possibly see JK using a combination of Beckerman and Holden to cover for one of the missing midfielders, but I think that's stretching things. Now ,a late injury to any of the other three will land Kyle a trip to Brazil.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Thanks, Bub. So Landon's not a lock to make the WC squad?

I think he's a lock. My only question was where he would play as he's not a true wide player anymore. Zusi had done a serviceable job in his old spot and with Altidore and Dempsey locking down the central attack, it was important for him to show he could play in the 4-2-3-1 system that has worked so well for the US.

If you noticed today and against Belize (ha!), that he moved to the left side for a good chuck of time. I suspect this was deliberate from him and JK. That's been the weakest offensive spot this year. LD could slide in there and cause the least amount of disruption to the first team that has been playing almost two years without him.

This would be a pretty good attacking 5/6 for the US, historically.

Howard
X-X-X-X
Jones
________Bradley
Zusi-Demspey-Donovan
Altidore

Functionally, it could look like this:

Jones__ Bradley
____\___ /____
Zusi {_______} <--- Donovan
______/
Dempsey___ Altidore

This would allow Bradley, Donovan, Dempsey, or even Jones to fill that withdrawn space. All four have enough speed to fill and recover to their "defensive" positions. It puts some pressure on the left back and the top two choice (Beasley, Johnson) are not natural fullbacks, so that is of some concern. But, JK has emphasized speed and skill on the ball over the defend and counter tactics the US has traditionally relied upon, so I could see him heading in this direction.

Now if we could only find some reliable defenders.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I think he's a lock. My only question was where he would play as he's not a true wide player anymore. Zusi had done a serviceable job in his old spot and with Altidore and Dempsey locking down the central attack, it was important for him to show he could play in the 4-2-3-1 system that has worked so well for the US.

If you noticed today and against Belize (ha!), that he moved to the left side for a good chuck of time. I suspect this was deliberate from him and JK. That's been the weakest offensive spot this year. LD could slide in there and cause the least amount of disruption to the first team that has been playing almost two years without him.

This would be a pretty good attacking 5/6 for the US, historically.

Howard
X-X-X-X
Jones
Bradley
Zusi-Demspey-Donovan
Altidore

Now if we could only find some reliable defenders.

So Wondo is only as good as the competition in the GC?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
So Wondo is only as good as the competition in the GC?

Remains to be seen, in his first 9 caps (appearances) he didn't do so well. He had been one of top scorers in MLS, so it was thought that he was over his head or just lacked confidence. But this week's goals aside, he has shown a lot in these games that should translate at the international level. His ability to find space, the timing of his runs at goal off the ball, touch on the ball, and nose for scoring looked pretty good to me. He has at least earned a spot in the last round of qualifiers. Most likely he is looking like a late sub in the WC and someone to pressure Altidore though they are different players. This spot will probably see 1o-20 minutes a match as JK like to sub out Altidore late in the match.

His deflection goal today was world class. Few players could have made that.

If he shows well, and nets a few this fall I think he'll get a spot. Gomez is his main competition, but Gomez can play other positions and is more established with he national team. Another problem is that both Dempsey and Donovan sometimes play the striker position in a 4-4-2, Though I think they are both slotted for that attacking midfield role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom