OT: Golfers | The Boneyard

OT: Golfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going with 12 guys down to Southern Pines NC for the first time and curious to hear from any of you that may have played there or the courses below:

Lonnie Poole GC (Raleigh actually our first night meeting some people, this is NC States home course)
Tobacco Road
7 Lakes CC
Southern Pines
Legacy

Tobacco looks to me like I better just bring a lot of nippers and just take pictures of the beautiful scenery because the 140 plus rating looks like this will be a bear of track. Just have to make it fun. Poole looks like a lot of sand like a Jack design but the rest seem like the NC pines type course with 7 Lakes adding a lot of water. Love to hear from anyone having played them.

Reaction Score
Played Pinehurst when I stayed at the resort a few years ago. Did not play the PGA course but one of the other numbers (they were numbered not named). Even that was a very challenging course, I celebrated making par on a couple of holes. Scenery was beautiful.

The resort was first class. You will enjoy it, not sure if you will if you play the top course, but you may be a scratch golfer.

Reaction Score
Played Pinehurst when I stayed at the resort a few years ago. Did not play the PGA course but one of the other numbers (they were numbered not named). Even that was a very challenging course, I celebrated making par on a couple of holes. Scenery was beautiful.

The resort was first class. You will enjoy it, not sure if you will if you play the top course, but you may be a scratch golfer.

Not playing Pinehurst but surrounding courses. Lucky man and by the way I will only be scratching my..well no I'm not scratch LOL

Reaction Score
Avoid Tobacco unless you are darn good.

blake, I'm ok (6) and I'd say 5 of 10 hit it long enough and straight enough to play there but we have 7 guys who are terrified once they saw the lay out. It will be our "fun" 18, plenty of swing lube, try to make a couple birds when you can and know that double and even triple bogey will come into play. And our math for $$$ will probably have a double or triple max so some guys can pick up and get back int he cart to have beer. LOL

Thanks for the heads up!

Reaction Score
TR is a phenomenal course. It isn't traditional in any sense, but it's one of the more fun courses I've played. They say it's like Pine Valley in a fun-house, which I can't attest to (need to play PV first --- any connections there?), but it was blast. This was about 10 years ago and in the pre-range finder era. That tool has made first passes at courses much more manageable and enjoyable. It is a wild course that isn't tricked up, if that makes any sense. It will be a very memorable experience.
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/tobacco-road-nc-usa/

Southern Pines is one of my favorites in the Carolinas. As funky as Tobacco Road is, Southern Pines is as traditional and old school as it gets. It's a bit short by modern standards, but if you're a design nut like me you'll appreciate everything Donald Ross lays in front of you.
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/southern-pines-golf-club-nc-usa/

If you are not set on all the above tracks, check out Mid Pines. I highly recommend it. It's the ultimate walking golf course and another Ross gem. I think the LPGA goes through there once in a while.
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/mid-pines/

Come back with some pictures!

Reaction Score
TR is a phenomenal course. It isn't traditional in any sense, but it's one of the more fun courses I've played. They say it's like Pine Valley in a fun-house, which I can't attest to (need to play PV first --- any connections there?), but it was blast. This was about 10 years ago and in the pre-range finder era. That tool has made first passes at courses much more manageable and enjoyable. It is a wild course that isn't tricked up, if that makes any sense. It will be a very memorable experience.

Southern Pines is one of my favorites in the Carolinas. As funky as Tobacco Road is, Southern Pines is as traditional and old school as it gets. It's a bit short by modern standards, but if you're a design nut like me you'll appreciate everything Donald Ross lays in front of you.
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/southern-pines-golf-club-nc-usa/

If you are not set on all the above tracks, check out Mid Pines. I highly recommend it. It's the ultimate walking golf course and another Ross gem. I think the LPGA goes through there once in a while.

Thanks LI, good stuff. Will try to remember! LOL

Reaction Score

They look fun. Wish I was 28 again.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Going with 12 guys down to Southern Pines NC for the first time and curious to hear from any of you that may have played there or the courses below:

Lonnie Poole GC (Raleigh actually our first night meeting some people, this is NC States home course)
Tobacco Road
7 Lakes CC
Southern Pines
Legacy

Tobacco looks to me like I better just bring a lot of nippers and just take pictures of the beautiful scenery because the 140 plus rating looks like this will be a bear of track. Just have to make it fun. Poole looks like a lot of sand like a Jack design but the rest seem like the NC pines type course with 7 Lakes adding a lot of water. Love to hear from anyone having played them.

Played Tobacco Road, Legacy and Seven Pines, plus The Carolina and Talamore 7 or 8 years ago.

Tobacco Road is amazing. Some of the best scenery I've seen on an inland course. Greens are certainly extreme. Perfect conditioning. Hilly with no shortage of blind shots, but wasnt any harder than say, Lake of Isles or Red Tail.

Legacy was definitely above average - flatish fairways framed by tall pines.

Seven Lakes was solid, basic old school golf; what you see is what you get.

If Tobacco Rd is some combination of the Ranch, Red Tail and Lake of Isles on steroids, then quality-wise, Legacy is Wintonbury and Seven Lakes is Cedar Knob.

If you have time for another round and can't do #2, Mid Pines or Pine Needles, check out Dormie Club.

Reaction Score
Played Tobacco Road, Legacy and Seven Pines, plus The Carolina and Talamore 7 or 8 years ago.

Tobacco Road is amazing. Some of the best scenery I've seen on an inland course. Greens are certainly extreme. Perfect conditioning. Hilly with no shortage of blind shots, but wasnt any harder than say, Lake of Isles or Red Tail.

If Tobacco Rd is some combination of the Ranch, Red Tail and Lake of Isles on steroids, then quality-wise, Legacy is Wintonbury and Seven Lakes is Cedar Knob.

If you have time for another round and can't do #2, Mid Pines or Pine Needles, check out Dormie Club.
Thanks for those analogies. I could see some of them in those pictures, but your words really pulled it together.

Reaction Score
lot of great courses in the area. legacy is a very good course. but i love southern pines -- to me most underrated course in the area

Reaction Score
Off topic a little, but i was in Phoenix over Christmas. Played a course called Troon North. Beautiful desert course. Highly recommend it if you make it to Phoenix.

Reaction Score

Excellent overview thanks man! Like the analogies since they are all courses I've played around here.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Off topic a little, but i was in Phoenix over Christmas. Played a course called Troon North. Beautiful desert course. Highly recommend it if you make it to Phoenix.

Both courses at Troon North also are amazing. Always surprised they don’t appear on more top-100 lists. Of the over 230 public courses I’ve played domestically, I’d rank both of the Troon North courses with Tobacco Road in my top 5, a notch below Kiawah and Bethpage.

Reaction Score
Both courses at Troon North also are amazing. Always surprised they don’t appear on more top-100 lists. Of the over 230 public courses I’ve played domestically, I’d rank both of the Troon North courses with Tobacco Road in my top 5, a notch below Kiawah and Bethpage.

Love the eye (s) of the "Tiger" by the way LOL

Go LSU

Reaction Score
Anyone have any good suggestions for midwest courses. Specifically northern midwest courses. Minnesota, North and South Dakota...maybe Nebraska.

Reaction Score
I played Troon North towards the end of january. What a beauty - the nicest course I've ever played. If anyone is ever thinking of heading to the desert for a golf trip during the winter months get a tee time late morning. Our first morning we had a 8am tee time and ended up having a 40 minute frost delay and even when we did get out the front 9 was frigid. It takes awhile for things to heat up in the desert. Also, once that sun goes down be ready because the temperatures drop like a rock.

Reaction Score
I played Troon North towards the end of january. What a beauty - the nicest course I've ever played. If anyone is ever thinking of heading to the desert for a golf trip during the winter months get a tee time late morning. Our first morning we had a 8am tee time and ended up having a 40 minute frost delay and even when we did get out the front 9 was frigid. It takes awhile for things to heat up in the desert. Also, once that sun goes down be ready because the temperatures drop like a rock.
I had a slightly warmer day in the beginning of January, but I still had a frost delay. Got paired up with a local who emphatically said Troon North is better than the TPC course in town. Best course I've played, but I rarely get out of ND/MN to golf.

Reaction Score
100-0027_IMG.JPG
100-0027_IMG.JPG

TR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads