OT: Golf Lessons | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf Lessons

Reaction Score
The only club I hit well is my driver. I always have. I’m decent with a sand wedge hitting lob style chips. My irons are inconsistent as hell.

Before you go find a new instructor try one thing on the range. Tee up the ball and hit it. Pretend you are happy Gilmore. Hit it like you would with a baseball bat if you weren’t thinking about stance, grip or anything. Don’t think. No practice back swings. Step up, address the ball and then whack it. See what happens.

I thought that's what you're always supposed to do? Seems like a waste of cash otherwise?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Ha. I played 9 at Fairchild Wheeler Red Friday and another 9 at the Lyman Apple 9 Saturday. Both are easy courses. Made me realize, some of us should just play those courses and have fun instead of the super challenging courses that make me want to quit.

I haven't golfed since I was probably 19 or 20 (I'm 26 now). Back when I did golf, we used to always play what we called the 'twilight special' at Blackledge River Highlands on the front 9. We'd wait in the parking lot until the last group teed off and clubhouse guy took off, and then we'd all play as fast as we could, getting in 9 just before the sun would set once we got into mid June. Thus, the twilight special. I grew up behind that course...I snuck on to the hole that was behind my house when I was a little kid and had no clue how golf worked. Walked right into the midst of a group, took my shot, and drilled a guy in the *** who was in his backswing. Did not end well.

Reaction Score
The only club I hit well is my driver. I always have. I’m decent with a sand wedge hitting lob style chips. My irons are inconsistent as hell.

Before you go find a new instructor try one thing on the range. Tee up the ball and hit it. Pretend you are happy Gilmore. Hit it like you would with a baseball bat if you weren’t thinking about stance, grip or anything. Don’t think. No practice back swings. Step up, address the ball and then whack it. See what happens.
Thanks. I’ve had my ups and downs with irons over the years as well. What has worked for me is to drop the irons I can no longer hit and stay with 7-PW and 25 degree hybrid in place of 5 and 6 iron. Try standing closer to the ball on irons and get in the habit of just rotating your shoulders without fear of where the ball goes. If you get good with the shoulder rotation, the ball should jump well off the club and you’ll hit much more consistently. Hope this helps.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks. I’ve had my ups and downs with irons over the years as well. What has worked for me is to drop the irons I can no longer hit and stay with 7-PW and 25 degree hybrid in place of 5 and 6 iron. Try standing closer to the ball on irons and get in the habit of just rotating your shoulders without fear of where the ball goes. If you get good with the shoulder rotation, the ball should jump well off the club and you’ll hit much more consistently. Hope this helps.

I’ll give it a shot. Switched to a stronger grip last year and that helped. But I go through stages of topping and hitting behind the ball with irons. I think you’re right with shoulder rotation, with irons I tend to dip my left shoulder rather than turning.

I know my driver suggestion sounds silly but most people over think it, become tense and stiff and are swinging like some kind of robot. It doesn’t work. Has to be fluid and loose. Once you can swing like that’s then those lessons can dial it in.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You don’t need golf lessons. I can give you one tip that will take 7 strokes off your score.

Skip a par three.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom