OT: Golf Lessons | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf Lessons

Reaction Score
How did your lesson go?
Great Danzz! Trying a new grip and a totally new swing but the video showed some huge issues with my swing. Kevin has me keeping my hands much lower on the backswing and pivoting around my body better. My downswing was very steep and starting around 5 o’clock, he’s got me trying to come from the inside more at 7 o’clock or so. This is going to take a while but i’ll keep working with Kevin. I’m excited about being able to hopefully hit a golf ball correctly for the first time. Thank you again for the recommendation! Do you still play often?

Reaction Score
Great Danzz! Trying a new grip and a totally new swing but the video showed some huge issues with my swing. Kevin has me keeping my hands much lower on the backswing and pivoting around my body better. My downswing was very steep and starting around 5 o’clock, he’s got me trying to come from the inside more at 7 o’clock or so. This is going to take a while but i’ll keep working with Kevin. I’m excited about being able to hopefully hit a golf ball correctly for the first time. Thank you again for the recommendation! Do you still play often?
I play a couple times a week but I'm on the bench now with a med issue.
My last lesson was similar to yours because I had similar problem. Did he use the shoe box
and the pole with the wiffle ball on it? What he is trying to do is to keep you from coming outside in. By striking the ball at 7 o'clock you will develop a draw/hook. I think he wants your swing flatter (lower) so you don't have a killer over the top move. Over the years I've probably have had every golf mistake there is.
Practice is the key but you will see some of the benefits right away. The good thing is Kevin writes the lesson down so you don't forget. Glad the lesson went well and keep at it!

Reaction Score
I play a couple times a week but I'm on the bench now with a med issue.
My last lesson was similar to yours because I had similar problem. Did he use the shoe box
and the pole with the wiffle ball on it? What he is trying to do is to keep you from coming outside in. By striking the ball at 7 o'clock you will develop a draw/hook. I think he wants your swing flatter (lower) so you don't have a killer over the top move. Over the years I've probably have had every golf mistake there is.
Practice is the key but you will see some of the benefits right away. The good thing is Kevin writes the lesson down so you don't forget. Glad the lesson went well and keep at it!
That’s exactly what he’s trying to do, get my backswing much lower and flatter. We did briefly use the pole with the wiffle ball, but the main focus was on just getting my backswing right for now. I had a very encouraging range session today so I’m excited for my next lesson, in a week and a half. Kevin said it could take me 2 seasons to see a big jump in my improvement but I’m optinistic I can be playing good golf by October. When was your last lesson?

Reaction Score
That’s exactly what he’s trying to do, get my backswing much lower and flatter. We did briefly use the pole with the wiffle ball, but the main focus was on just getting my backswing right for now. I had a very encouraging range session today so I’m excited for my next lesson, in a week and a half. Kevin said it could take me 2 seasons to see a big jump in my improvement but I’m optinistic I can be playing good golf by October. When was your last lesson?
About a month ago was my last lesson. The difference now is when you go to the range is you are practicing the right things. Great to hear the lesson worked for you.

Reaction Score

I am currently taking lessons with Kevin. I had the same problems coming over the top plus not stepping into the ball. He has given me useful drills to work on.

My problem is that I look great on the driving range but no so good on the course. It is a whole different ball game when you are shooting for a score and have only one try at each shot vs. the driving range.

Kevin's drills have helped my game but as they say, golf is 90% mental. I need to get my swing to the point where it is a "instinctive" swing and not a "thinking" swing if that makes sense.

Reaction Score
I am currently taking lessons with Kevin. I had the same problems coming over the top plus not stepping into the ball. He has given me useful drills to work on.

My problem is that I look great on the driving range but no so good on the course. It is a whole different ball game when you are shooting for a score and have only one try at each shot vs. the driving range.

Kevin's drills have helped my game but as they say, golf is 90% mental. I need to get my swing to the point where it is a "instinctive" swing and not a "thinking" swing if that makes sense.
I know what you mean. Unfortunately you will probably have to think through the swing some on the course: especially grip and set up. Instinctive wasn't working or we wouldn't be taking lessons.:)
There are no consequences for hitting a bad shot on the range unlike on the course. I've taken about 8 shots off my score but I have spent some time on the range practicing the drills. Like you, I still have to think through shots hoping for the day when it will be instinctive. Just hang with it and change will come.

Reaction Score
I know what you mean. Unfortunately you will probably have to think through the swing some on the course: especially grip and set up. Instinctive wasn't working or we wouldn't be taking lessons.:)
There are no consequences for hitting a bad shot on the range unlike on the course. I've taken about 8 shots off my score but I have spent some time on the range practicing the drills. Like you, I still have to think through shots hoping for the day when it will be instinctive. Just hang with it and change will come.
I can completely relate to this guys, some weeks I was so encouraged by my range sessions, only to kind of choke on the course. Since my lesson with Kevin, I’m noticing even my bad shots aren’t nearly as bad as my previous mishits. I also think too much about my swing, especially at address. Will probably take a couple thousand range balls Great, but I’m hoping our new swings will just be second nature at some point. Maybe we can all get out on a course together later in the season.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I found that GolfTec didn't translate to the course as well as taking lessons from a pro on a range. I also found them less personal and less flexible.

GolfTec takes you on a course to play 9 holes with a pro...

Reaction Score
I can completely relate to this guys, some weeks I was so encouraged by my range sessions, only to kind of choke on the course. Since my lesson with Kevin, I’m noticing even my bad shots aren’t nearly as bad as my previous mishits. I also think too much about my swing, especially at address. Will probably take a couple thousand range balls Great, but I’m hoping our new swings will just be second nature at some point. Maybe we can all get out on a course together later in the season.
I am in for that!

Reaction Score

Practice, practice, practice, and then play a lot. ;^)

Reaction Score
To update everyone, I did take just the one lesson from Kevin Giancola last year, with plans to take 4 more this month before getting back onto the course. I need help with my wedges and putter now to score better but I’m striking the ball much better and more consistently. For $60 per lesson, it’s been a very worthwhile investment for me. Getting just one video lesson can be very eye opening and game changing,

Reaction Score
To update everyone, I did take just the one lesson from Kevin Giancola last year, with plans to take 4 more this month before getting back onto the course. I need help with my wedges and putter now to score better but I’m striking the ball much better and more consistently. For $60 per lesson, it’s been a very worthwhile investment for me. Getting just one video lesson can be very eye opening and game changing,
Glad it worked out for you. I'll be going back to Kevin late spring after a bit of healing. He is the best instructor I have found over the years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was just thinking abou taking lessons. Mostly need to improve approach shots. Irons are my weakness outside of 100 yards or so. I go through insane stretches where I hit behind or top the ball with every iron shot.

Reaction Score
Was just thinking abou taking lessons. Mostly need to improve approach shots. Irons are my weakness outside of 100 yards or so. I go through insane stretches where I hit behind or top the ball with every iron shot.
I really do recommend it, especially seeing yourself on video. Video lessons can really help you get on plane better if you come over the top. I had to totally change my grip too which I’m still adjusting to but I don’t hit the big steep divots anymore. Do some reviews on local guys, try a lesson and I’d love to hear your progress.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Nicole Damarjian, Tallwood CC. I had no clue what I was doing. She did everything for me - from setup, grip, club selection, course mgmt., etc. I typically only play 9 holes and was struggling to break 50. Now I can shoot 42-43 depending on how well I'm putting. Highly recommend her.

Reaction Score
I plan on taking golf lessons with the pro at Great River this summer. If you take lessons there, you also have unlimited access to their golf range/practice facility for the day. I took lessons there about 10 years ago and it was really good, they use the golf simulator and the practice on the range. A bit pricey but well worth it with the access to the great facility they have there.

Reaction Score
Perhaps worthwhile. I just signed up for a PGA digital academy for $7.00. PGADigitalacademy.com. Looks pretty good. For $7/mo and straight forward cancellation instructions I thought what the hell

Attachments

• 9E53DAC1-E02D-49DB-AEE4-33DBB4668A91.png
    9E53DAC1-E02D-49DB-AEE4-33DBB4668A91.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Reaction Score
To update everyone on my progress, I took one lesson last year with Kevin Giancola at Golfquest In Southington. Changed my grip, got me to stay lower and around my body better with the help of video. This got my swing flatter, resulting in much more consistent shots.

I returned for 3 more lessons this year with mixed results. For some reason Kevin tweaked my grip again, which has been another adjustment. I’ve been going back more to the grip he gave me last year (show two knuckles) and I’m hitting irons and hybrid well again.

The problem I’m having is with the driver or even 3 wood off the tee. He had me dip my back shoulder a lot and try some other movements that just feel strange, I need to get the driver swing figured out and am considering another instructor for that. Is there anyone you guys recommend, specifically for a driver lesson or lessons? If I can get that clicking, I think I’ll be in good shape, Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
Play 9 at Chanticlair in Colchester. You’ll be a scratch golfer if you only play there
Ha. I played 9 at Fairchild Wheeler Red Friday and another 9 at the Lyman Apple 9 Saturday. Both are easy courses. Made me realize, some of us should just play those courses and have fun instead of the super challenging courses that make me want to quit.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To update everyone on my progress, I took one lesson last year with Kevin Giancola at Golfquest In Southington. Changed my grip, got me to stay lower and around my body better with the help of video. This got my swing flatter, resulting in much more consistent shots.

I returned for 3 more lessons this year with mixed results. For some reason Kevin tweaked my grip again, which has been another adjustment. I’ve been going back more to the grip he gave me last year (show two knuckles) and I’m hitting irons and hybrid well again.

The problem I’m having is with the driver or even 3 wood off the tee. He had me dip my back shoulder a lot and try some other movements that just feel strange, I need to get the driver swing figured out and am considering another instructor for that. Is there anyone you guys recommend, specifically for a driver lesson or lessons? If I can get that clicking, I think I’ll be in good shape, Thanks in advance.

The only club I hit well is my driver. I always have. I’m decent with a sand wedge hitting lob style chips. My irons are inconsistent as hell.

Before you go find a new instructor try one thing on the range. Tee up the ball and hit it. Pretend you are happy Gilmore. Hit it like you would with a baseball bat if you weren’t thinking about stance, grip or anything. Don’t think. No practice back swings. Step up, address the ball and then whack it. See what happens.

Reaction Score
Ha. I played 9 at Fairchild Wheeler Red Friday and another 9 at the Lyman Apple 9 Saturday. Both are easy courses. Made me realize, some of us should just play those courses and have fun instead of the super challenging courses that make me want to quit.
Try addressing the ball a half ball toward the toe and try to hesitate at the top of your swing. Similar to a baseball swing where you step and the bat follows a split second latter. A lot easier to do with a baseball bat. Good luck!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom