OT: golf John Daly...ride or walk....you be the judge | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: golf John Daly...ride or walk....you be the judge

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Weelll, I wasn't there so they might be exaggerating. You know how golfers and fishermen are. "It was at least a 45 foot putt...."

But my answer to the OP is the game was meant for walking. Except the other day I was walking and dragging my bag on a very hilly course. It was upper 80's and at #15, I quit. I was looking for someone to rescue me. So walking aint as easy as it used to be

I like to walk the course for the exercise. Once we were on a tee and a young guy with his girlfriend walked up behind us and asked if we would mind if he played through. Only he was playing, she was just walking with him. We said sure and he hit a tee shot like none I've ever seen before or since. It still may not have landed.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Time for a Daly story. In the days when Dunlop was sponsoring John and when they were located in town, A coupe friends of mine who worked with Dunlop arranged to play a round with John at Wicked Stick in Myrtle Beach. They told me he showed up 20 minutes late, drove a taxi to the first tee. Jumped out in cutoffs, flip-flops, grabbed a driver and hit his tee shot off the deck 300+ yards down the middle. They said it was the most fun round they ever had.
That's a typical Daly story. I like John. He was good to have on tour. He may have been an embarrassment to some of his fellow golfers but hey, people such as John are what makes the world go round.
The Wicked Stick was the John Daly signature course, in MB. It was shut down a few years ago. I played it the first year it opened and a couple times after that. It was not a particular favorite of mine, it didn't have much "character" and was quite open, as courses go. Unfortunately, numerous courses have closed in Myrtle Beach and some that remain are on the brink.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The PGA resisted. That’s why he had to sue. Nicklaus didn’t favor it.
The point is that Martin ultimately was allowed to ride a cart on the PGA tour because he was handicapped by a terribly debilitating disease. While Nicklaus didn’t favor it, Martin’s former Stanford teammate did support his request. Perhaps you’ve heard of him. Fellow by the name of Woods.

While I supported Martin’s request, I don’t support Daily’s. Daily is not handicapped. He’s just old, like many of us here on the BY.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The point is that Martin ultimately was allowed to ride a cart on the PGA tour because he was handicapped by a terribly debilitating disease. While Nicklaus didn’t favor it, Martin’s former Stanford teammate did support his request. Perhaps you’ve heard of him. Fellow by the name of Woods.

While I supported Martin’s request, I don’t support Daily’s. Daily is not handicapped. He’s just old, like many of us here on the BY.
I’m not sure what the magic is in walking especially if all ride. I kind of don’t care one way or the other. I think touring pros using equipment that increases length is more of an issue. Too many guys are hitting the ball insane distances to where middle irons are used pretty much only on par 5s where a middle iron for a second shot on a 550 yard hole is also ridiculous. .

As you point out, Woods was his friend. The PGA was against it and Nicklaus was a pretty influential opponent.

Reaction Score
I can see it now as the CBS cameras pick up John Daly as he's riding up to the 18th hole...hoping for nice sunset for this Kodak moment.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There's something odd about a "sport" where some players are petitioning to be relieved of the burden of walking. I worked at a golf course growing up and the attitude I developed from observing our members, and which has stuck with me ever since, is that if you can play it half decently while p*iss- drunk, it's is not a real sport. Great recreational activity, but not a real sport.
Yea, well that's because it's not really a "sport". More like an activity. Like bowling or darts, cribbage, etc.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As long as he doesn't use it for a beverage cart .... ;)
That's cold!
Cold? Try out this menu description of the John Daly drink at Plan B (restaurant) up here in Springfield, MA.

John Daly - Just add a Lucky Strike and you’ve got a complete meal. Sweet Tea Vodka and
lemonade in a 22oz. mason jar.

Actually, usually what I get when we eat there. :cool:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There's something odd about a "sport" where some players are petitioning to be relieved of the burden of walking. I worked at a golf course growing up and the attitude I developed from observing our members, and which has stuck with me ever since, is that if you can play it half decently while p*iss- drunk, it's is not a real sport. Great recreational activity, but not a real sport.
As opposed to Doc Ellis pitching a no hitter on acid?

Reaction Score
Oldude, if you're not handicapped by old age, I'm happy for you. I sure as heck am.

I've heard that some doctors maintain that golf just interrupts what otherwise would be a healthy walk. Presumably doctors who don't play the game.

I think that Daly should be allowed to use a cart, as should anyone else who wants to. Seems to me the point of the game is making shots; that it's a game of skill, rather than strength or endurance. And it is a game, not a sport.
"There are three sports; bull fighting, mountain climbing, and motor racing. The rest are mere recreations." Don Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Ángel Blas Francisco de Borja Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton, Marquis de Portago. AKA Alfonso de Portago.
I've seen a similar quote attributed to Hemingway.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude, if you're not handicapped by old age, I'm happy for you. I sure as heck am.

I've heard that some doctors maintain that golf just interrupts what otherwise would be a healthy walk. Presumably doctors who don't play the game.

I think that Daly should be allowed to use a cart, as should anyone else who wants to. Seems to me the point of the game is making shots; that it's a game of skill, rather than strength or endurance. And it is a game, not a sport.
"There are three sports; bull fighting, mountain climbing, and motor racing. The rest are mere recreations." Don Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Ángel Blas Francisco de Borja Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton, Marquis de Portago. AKA Alfonso de Portago.
I’m fighting it, but I am certainly slowed by old age. I played a lot of golf when I was younger, but various ailments have shut me down.

I guess Daily gets to play in the PGA because he won it quite a few years ago. The Masters allows former winners to play as long as they want to, but they have to walk, and Augusta National is a brutal, hilly course to walk. Which is why Nicklaus, Player and Arnie, when he was alive, hit one off the first tee and then retire to the clubhouse to have a drink and watch the rest of the tournament.

Reaction Score

Good point. It’s my excuse when I ride too. However, the course actually doesn’t allow carts, do there’s that too.
I’m hesitant to break the traditions of the game for John Daly, of all people.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are no carts allowed on Bethpage's Black course for a reason. It is a very difficult course. When you enter a tournament you know what the rules are. If you cant walk then imo you should opt out and let an alternate play. Golf is a game of strict rules and always has been. Im sure John plays more then one or two rounds of golf a week and Im sure he practices more then 2 hours a week. He can walk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom