OT: Going To First Puppy Training Class | The Boneyard

OT: Going To First Puppy Training Class

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
FIRST! See, it's tonight and I'm a wreck. Had to read 60 pages of stuff before I could show up. This lady reminds me of a certain very stern lady in Gene Wilder's Young Frankenstein! If my puppy poops in class we both might be beaten!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
FIRST! See, it's tonight and I'm a wreck. Had to read 60 pages of stuff before I could show up. This lady reminds me of a certain very stern lady in Gene Wilder's Young Frankenstein! If my puppy poops in class we both might be beaten!
I was about to say "If you touch one hair on that (cats) dogs head...".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Got quite a story to tell. Right now I am wiped. The pup is really, really wiped. Tomorrow.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It's not really the puppy that's going to class but you! Rocky, you're the one that needs to be trained. If you do your job, the puppy will do fine. In order: Exercise, discipline (training) and affection.

I have eight dogs so I'm sure you can handle one.

Reaction Score
our dog trainer calls it people training for dogs...............hope you're crate training...................it's the best way to let all of you get some rest and it's not cruel as some will say.........we have three dogs including two golden retrievers and they now all sleep on our bed..............last night was a definitely a "Three Dog Night'

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So I was right. She was Frau Blucher without the marvelous accent (I preferred her in The Last Picture Show though). Anyway, don't feed puppy for 4 hours before class and bring plenty of treats from this approved list (3 are her's and available for sale before puppy class). The class was 5 pups, with 6 being the max. 2 of my dog's litter mates were there. First our 5 were released of lead into an outdoor wrestling pit to see who would survive! The owner of the most timid pup was allowed in to rescue her pup if things got to rough. Luckily she was an young, athletic lass who was able to scoop up her pup just as a puppy on steroids, actually a brother to my girl, pinned the hapless animal and rose to get full bite size before swooping in for the death grip!

Frau Blucher intoned that my pup needed a new play mate and should never play again with her sister (my daughter's pup and only slightly less crazed than steroid pup.) For a fleeting moment I was in love with Frau Blucher; what wisdom, how perceptive.

Then we all went inside for the people lessons to begin. The first exercise, with plenty of treats in hand, was to induce you pup to walk up on a 3 foot disk on the floor and your lap, intentionally wobbly, then a small milk crate (ah, gone are the circus elephants but the look is the same), then a taller, bigger milk crate, then an agility teeter tooter, then a broken field running agility stepper. Treats were flying out of treat pouches and pockets faster than a Pez dispenser in the hands of a sugar addict. My wife had apparently signed my pup up for some sporting dog agility . I quietly slipped out the door, slipped the keys in the ignition and went a few hundred yards to a gas station with a frappacino machine, since I was in desperate need of something sweet yet stimulating. On the way home, in a very quiet car, we signed a pact of mutual self-destruction and stopped at Burger King for large fries, whopper, and she did the chocolate milk and I did the Mayor Bloomberg Memorial Pepsi!

I've had 11 dogs, 5 of them my pup's apparently dominant breed - German Shepards, 3 trained to threat level, 1 to attack. She went to class knowing how to sit next to you, walk with you without verbal command, has almost gotten the down command down, will shake your hand ... and I get Ms. Blucher with a 37 card deck!

Now serious question: Who's Doggie DNA testing is the best? Gotta figure out the father. Different breeds have markers as I'm sure you all know for various disease propensities.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
So I was right. She was Frau Blucher without the marvelous accent (I preferred her in The Last Picture Show though). Anyway, don't feed puppy for 4 hours before class and bring plenty of treats from this approved list (3 are her's and available for sale before puppy class). The class was 5 pups, with 6 being the max. 2 of my dog's litter mates were there. First our 5 were released of lead into an outdoor wrestling pit to see who would survive! The owner of the most timid pup was allowed in to rescue her pup if things got to rough. Luckily she was an young, athletic lass who was able to scoop up her pup just as a puppy on steroids, actually a brother to my girl, pinned the hapless animal and rose to get full bite size before swooping in for the death grip!

Frau Blucher intoned that my pup needed a new play mate and should never play again with her sister (my daughter's pup and only slightly less crazed than steroid pup.) For a fleeting moment I was in love with Frau Blucher; what wisdom, how perceptive.

Then we all went inside for the people lessons to begin. The first exercise, with plenty of treats in hand, was to induce you pup to walk up on a 3 foot disk on the floor and your lap, intentionally wobbly, then a small milk crate (ah, gone are the circus elephants but the look is the same), then a taller, bigger milk crate, then an agility teeter tooter, then a broken field running agility stepper. Treats were flying out of treat pouches and pockets faster than a Pez dispenser in the hands of a sugar addict. My wife had apparently signed my pup up for some sporting dog agility . I quietly slipped out the door, slipped the keys in the ignition and went a few hundred yards to a gas station with a frappacino machine, since I was in desperate need of something sweet yet stimulating. On the way home, in a very quiet car, we signed a pact of mutual self-destruction and stopped at Burger King for large fries, whopper, and she did the chocolate milk and I did the Mayor Bloomberg Memorial Pepsi!

I've had 11 dogs, 5 of them my pup's apparently dominant breed - German Shepards, 3 trained to threat level, 1 to attack. She went to class knowing how to sit next to you, walk with you without verbal command, has almost gotten the down command down, will shake your hand ... and I get Ms. Blucher with a 37 card deck!

Now serious question: Who's Doggie DNA testing is the best? Gotta figure out the father. Different breeds have markers as I'm sure you all know for various disease propensities.
First, I'm impressed that you used the word "lead" and not "leash." Like a raw UConn recruit, you're showing promise. Now, if "family member" and "guardian" replace "pet" and "owner" in your lexicon, you just might get some playing time. Also, if you sip tea while extending a pinky from your cup and can arch a single eyebrow, then you may be able to correct your classmates when you inform them that only the males are "dogs" and, yes, the females are "." They're all "canines." (Okay, you're right; that's a little bit too much).

By some accounts--experts can differ--the German Shepard is the third most intelligent breed, behind the Border Collie and Standard Poodle and just ahead of my cherished Golden Retrievers. So housebreaking shouldn't be a problem.

Be consistent, be kind and use only positive reinforcement and you'll probably survive puppyhood, albeit with a few scars. Did you puppy-proof the house? Exposed electrical wires are particularly dangerous. For the first six or seven months your puppy will want to chew everything. Redirect, redirect, redirect (to a bully stick or something else appropriate).

You get frau Blucher and the UConn recruits get Geno and you think you have it tough?

C'mon, man, you can do this.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm a big believer in positive reinforcement as dogs typically want to please. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They are know for a being headstrong but are amazingly easy to train if you just let them know what you want.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
behind the Border Collie

Speculation of my Gen. Practitioner, who got one of her litter too - small world - is that dad is a border collie. So, wow, am I in trouble. A dog potentially a lot sharper than me. We are going for a genetic test kit when I research the best one this weekend.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm a big believer in positive reinforcement as dogs typically want to please. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They are know for a being headstrong but are amazingly easy to train if you just let them know what you want.

Totally agree. I have never had any dog of mine learn so readily how to heel as this one, so she obviously thinks she's herding me. Not looking forward to the heel nips when I go the wrong way!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Allow me to share a video of me and my English Cocker, Beau, doing agility.

The commentators are almost as bad as ESPN's crew! You and your pup have put in a lot of hard work. Impressive. I'm fit for maybe the water jump challenge... maybe.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I quietly slipped out the door, slipped the keys in the ignition and went a few hundred yards to a gas station with a frappacino machine, since I was in desperate need of something sweet yet stimulating.

Saves me explaining this cash register event in full detail. I paid and turned to leave. A big, burly working guy approached the register with his purchase and said : "Hey, I like your shirt." I was were a Husky T in deep blue with our Husky logo dog and UCONN in bold letters underneath. I said something like ,pointing at my chest, the Husky. He said : " No, the greatness." Blew me away.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
hope you're crate training

You are absolutely right. We got lucky there. She was fostered between her 4th and 8th week and the foster home, God bless them, crate trained her about 85%. We took it the rest of the way, listening to a couple of hours of plaintive puppy talk.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right. We got lucky there. She was fostered between her 4th and 8th week and the foster home, God bless them, crate trained her about 85%. We took it the rest of the way, listening to a couple of hours of plaintive puppy talk.

I'm amazed that there are so many folks that view crate training as cruelty to animals.......as long as you don't use the crate for punishment it becomes a great safe place for a pup...........one of my golden's just gave up her crate after almost two years.........she just decided she didn't want to sleep in it anymore.....not a problem as by that point she had total run of the house anyway

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm amazed that there are so many folks that view crate training as cruelty to animals..as long as you don't use the crate for punishment it becomes a great safe place for a pup......one of my golden's just gave up her crate after almost two years....she just decided she didn't want to sleep in it anymore.....not a problem as by that point she had total run of the house anyway

Yup, it's their safe place for a power nap, or to chew their favorite toy undisturbed, or ....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Or it could be another Frau... from austin powers....

Never was into Austin Powers, but yes she would qualify too! I played this and my big dog came out to the living room to investigate.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
By some accounts--experts can differ--the German Shepard is the third most intelligent breed, behind the Border Collie and Standard Poodle and just ahead of my cherished Golden Retrievers. So housebreaking shouldn't be a problem.

How the Rescue Shelter goofed on this I'm not sure, since they had mom too. Mom is a Belgian Malinois. father may be a border collie or shepard or ??? Still have to research genetic test kits. Never had a smarter, fast learning pup. Have had 2 friends with Standard Poddles. Very sharp. Seem to only want to please themselves though. Might be the dogs were over their owner's heads though.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
How the Rescue Shelter goofed on this I'm not sure, since they had mom too. Mom is a Belgian Malinois. father may be a border collie or shepard or ??? Still have to research genetic test kits. Never had a smarter, fast learning pup. Have had 2 friends with Standard Poddles. Very sharp. Seem to only want to please themselves though. Might be the dogs were over their owner's heads though.
It was a Belgian Malinois named Cairo who accompanied Seal Team 6 on the raid that killed Bin Laden so I'm certain, with Border Collie or GS in her genetics too, she'll be plenty smart. Enjoy your puppy. I look at my five-year-old stud (icon photo), and wonder where the years went.

"Guardian," not "owner," yes? (I think the terms "pet" and "owner" demean the relationship but this is the last time I'll mention that).

Oh, what's your puppy's name?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom