OT: Giants | Page 38 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If they were so dead set on Barkley, and so dead set on those QBs not being "the guy", the only way you draft Barkley is if you trade down and pick him somewhere else in the top 8 and acquire further draft capital.

It was an egregious waste of resources.
I've always supported the decision to draft Barkley. He is an absolute stud and he showed that Thursday night.

That being said....the Giants should have signed a free agent QB like Keenum if they were planning on drafting Barkley. This way they have a decent QB at a decent price and they can still get their stud RB. Likely this would result in not giving OBJ his big deal but I'm ok with that. Odell is a cancer in that organization and his talent is not worth the drama and chaos he brings to that locker room. I'd be happy to see him leave.

Reaction Score
Somebody already asked, how good is the Oregon qb? Haven't followed college ball like I usually do.
He's the only QB I have any interest in next year. He's big and athletic. Not really an athletic type who's gonna run with the ball, but a Wentz type who can keep plays alive.

I'm still not sold either way on Shurmur, but Herbert is a perfect QB for his system. I'm not convinced he's really worth a top 5 pick in this draft over guys like Bosa and Oliver, but someone will take him high and I hope it's the Giants

Reaction Score
Over the last 30 to 40 years there have been so many first round quarterback busts that I can't begin to fathom why people would even consider taking a quarterback before Barkley, especially with the hindsight of what he has brought to the field already. Eli with a decent offensive line would be good enough for 2018. He had an ok 2017 with no threat of a running game. He has had some bad moments in 2018, and a young mobile QB could avoid some pressure and make yards with his feet, but the team is losing for a lot more reasons than Eli. Some bad luck like a 60+ yard FG, a terrible offensive line that plays confused and reacts slow, poor GM and coaching so far, an offensive scheme that doesn't match the skillset of the line, nor the strengths of the QB, and a defense that has some good players but doesn't seem inspired or coordinated as a unit.

I think paying $6 million to Jonathan Stewart vs a quality offensive lineman is criminal. Starting Eric Flowers only to release him doesn't say much about their evaluation of their own talent through training camp. Sending Brett Jones to Minnesota doesn't make sense to me. Not keeping Rogers-Cromartie was a step backward. Andrews was a serviceable backup safety. Riley, Webb, and some of these other DB's don't seem like an upgrade to me. The defensive line isn't getting enough pressure, the linebackers seem ok vs the run but can't seem to bring pressure or cover receivers. Ogletree is being touted as better than he is, Goodsen is ok, but as a group they are weak, AND, I think they kept 7-8 of them. With Wynn, Harrison, Vernon, etc the defensive line is ok. Adding Solder and Hernandez on the offensive line will be an upgrade, but somehow, as a group, the line is actually worse than last year. Collins & Jackrabbit are quality defensive backs, Eli Apple should be coached to be more consistent than he is. Odell & the receivers would do more 15-20 yds down the field if Eli had another 1-2 seconds in the pocket.

I'm going to enjoy every minute of Barkley on the field with no draft regrets.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If we get Herbert, taking Barkley will work. But if we don’t get a qb next this offseason, it’s going to be another year of regret.

Reaction Score
The Giants problem starts with John Mara as his franchise is 4-19 recently and have had locker room issues for years now. Next is Reese and his poor picks after the first round and Mannings huge contract. Now we have Gettleman thinking Eli was not washed up and Flowers had any reason to care if he played well. Hint, He did not care. Francessa with his outrage over benching Eli last year inciting the fan base made the front office gun shy on making the smart choice and moving on. After the 3rd straight losing season after the last Super Bowl under Coughlin I was ready to move on from Manning. Maybe they will get lucky and be in position to get the best QB in the next draft and they will have Barkley as well. But they still need to draft pass rushers. After the bye play Lauletta and insure the first round pick.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
TANK TANK TANK

You have to go all the way down to Denver at 11 to find a team that would draft a QB too, unless you think Dallas or TB want to give up on Dak and Jameis.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You have to go all the way down to Denver at 11 to find a team that would draft a QB too, unless you think Dallas or TB want to give up on Dak and Jameis.

I think TB would absolutely draft qb again if the right guy is there.

Dallas? You never bloody know. Jerry gonna jerry.

Just after those guys Denver will def be in the hunt for a QB.

Reaction Score
I think the issue is actually the opposite. As much as I want Herbert or one of the other QBs, I just can't see Gettleman passing up Bosa or Oliver if they end up in the top 2

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think the issue is actually the opposite. As much as I want Herbert or one of the other QBs, I just can't see Gettleman passing up Bosa or Oliver if they end up in the top 2

So dumb if he does. Unless you luck out w a Russell Wilson or something

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think TB would absolutely draft qb again if the right guy is there.

Dallas? You never bloody know. Jerry gonna jerry.

Just after those guys Denver will def be in the hunt for a QB.

I guess it will depend on how the rest of the season plays out for Winston. I didn't watch the TB game, but looked like Winston put up some good numbers today.

You're right about Jones though - absolute wild card.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

oakland

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I guess it will depend on how the rest of the season plays out for Winston. I didn't watch the TB game, but looked like Winston put up some good numbers today.

You're right about Jones though - absolute wild card.

I've no idea and no insider info, but it seemed like TB wanted Fitzmagic to continue so they could keep Winston off the field. I get the feeling they don't trust him, especially off the field.

Reaction Score
If we get Herbert, taking Barkley will work. But if we don’t get a qb next this offseason, it’s going to be another year of regret.
No qb sans Aaron Rodgers will make next unregretable. With that, what rookie qb did we miss on that is having half the season quon is? Rosen? Darnold? Baker went first so he wasn’t an option and though he has brought some energy he isn’t running for 80 and throwing 359 a game. Trade whatever pick we get next year for young staring oline men or younger veterans. They don’t need to be pro bowlers just good pros and we are 10-6 without question. I would also like to see us get someone to return for us. Even mr Harris wasn’t so great.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No qb sans Aaron Rodgers will make next unregretable. With that, what rookie qb did we miss on that is having half the season quon is? Rosen? Darnold? Baker went first so he wasn’t an option and though he has brought some energy he isn’t running for 80 and throwing 359 a game. Trade whatever pick we get next year for young staring oline men or younger veterans. They don’t need to be pro bowlers just good pros and we are 10-6 without question. I would also like to see us get someone to return for us. Even mr Harris wasn’t so great.

QBs generally take way longer to develop. And 70% of a great QB is worth more than 100% of a great RB.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Over the last 30 to 40 years there have been so many first round quarterback busts that I can't begin to fathom why people would even consider taking a quarterback before Barkley, especially with the hindsight of what he has brought to the field already. Eli with a decent offensive line would be good enough for 2018. He had an ok 2017 with no threat of a running game. He has had some bad moments in 2018, and a young mobile QB could avoid some pressure and make yards with his feet, but the team is losing for a lot more reasons than Eli. Some bad luck like a 60+ yard FG, a terrible offensive line that plays confused and reacts slow, poor GM and coaching so far, an offensive scheme that doesn't match the skillset of the line, nor the strengths of the QB, and a defense that has some good players but doesn't seem inspired or coordinated as a unit.

I think paying $6 million to Jonathan Stewart vs a quality offensive lineman is criminal. Starting Eric Flowers only to release him doesn't say much about their evaluation of their own talent through training camp. Sending Brett Jones to Minnesota doesn't make sense to me. Not keeping Rogers-Cromartie was a step backward. Andrews was a serviceable backup safety. Riley, Webb, and some of these other DB's don't seem like an upgrade to me. The defensive line isn't getting enough pressure, the linebackers seem ok vs the run but can't seem to bring pressure or cover receivers. Ogletree is being touted as better than he is, Goodsen is ok, but as a group they are weak, AND, I think they kept 7-8 of them. With Wynn, Harrison, Vernon, etc the defensive line is ok. Adding Solder and Hernandez on the offensive line will be an upgrade, but somehow, as a group, the line is actually worse than last year. Collins & Jackrabbit are quality defensive backs, Eli Apple should be coached to be more consistent than he is. Odell & the receivers would do more 15-20 yds down the field if Eli had another 1-2 seconds in the pocket.

I'm going to enjoy every minute of Barkley on the field with no draft regrets.

You take a QB because your team sucks, and by the time you have a serviceable QB and defense Barkley will be a free agent or will eat up your whole salary cap.

Had they obtained Bridgewater it might have been plausible. But Chubb went second round and is nearly as good. RB simply isn’t that important a position anymore.

Reaction Score
You take a QB because your team sucks, and by the time you have a serviceable QB and defense Barkley will be a free agent or will eat up your whole salary cap.

Had they obtained Bridgewater it might have been plausible. But Chubb went second round and is nearly as good. RB simply isn’t that important a position anymore.
Chubb is NOT nearly as good as Barkley. It’s Barkley and everyone else significantly lower in that draft.

Reaction Score
Chubb is NOT nearly as good as Barkley. It’s Barkley and everyone else significantly lower in that draft.
Agreed on talent, impact is a different story though. I think the Giants went with the Rams model of taking the RB (Gurley) before the QB (Goff). Hopefully it works out the same way it has for them.

Ultimately I think they will get Eli's replacement and that will be taken care of. But a good result =/= good process

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Chubb will give you 95% of what Barkley does. A great RB simply isn’t as valuable as other positions. Meanwhile, another season of the Giants best player is being wasted.

Reaction Score
Who will be the Giants QB if they move on from Eli Manning in 2019? | Ranking Justin Herbert, Kyle Lauletta, Teddy Bridgewater, more

2) Justin Herbert, Oregon
If the regular season ended today, the 1-5 Giants would own the No. 1 overall pick. In all likelihood, the first quarterback chosen in the upcoming class will be Oregon's Justin Herbert.

Imagine an offense with Herbert behind center, in a backfield with Saquon Barkley, and targets Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard, and Evan Engram. Perhaps adding Herbert would finally untap the Giants' skill-players' prolific potential.

Herbert has prototypical NFL size, mobility, arm-strength, and quick-decision making that gives him the chance to start right away, while Barkley's presence in the offense should hasten his development.

1) Kyle Lauletta
Even if the Giants invest a premium first-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, they would be wise not to rush a Herbert, Lock, Grier, or Stidham into action before they are fully comfortable both with the system and the speed of the NFL.

This is why playing Lauletta for as many games and snaps as possible in 2018 is critical: both to evaluate whether he has the potential to become a franchise quarterback, which would allow the Giants to take one of the premier pass rushers such as Ohio State's Nick Bosa or Houston's Ed Oliver, if they are on the board, but also to prepare him to be a competent bridge quarterback if the organization views one of the passers in the upcoming class as a franchise QB.

Playing Lauletta at the start of next season would also mitigate having to spend valuable cap space on a veteran quarterback, who would likely be a short-term answer rather than a long-term solution.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom