OT: GA-OK: greatest college football game ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: GA-OK: greatest college football game ever?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, it is...BTW, how did Tenn do in their bowl game? :rolleyes:
DBB, I’m sorry but I’m going to have to throw the flag for a personal foul for that comment. It’s going to cost you 15 yards plus no more snarky comments about TN for the next 24 hours. :cool:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure exactly what you mean by “over-recruits” as FBS schools are allotted 85 scholarships, and all of them have just about 80+ players on scholarship. Certainly Sabin gets more than his share of top recruits.

As far as forcing players off scholarship is concerned, Sabin has the luxury at Alabama to be a “My way or the high way” coach, so if a player doesn’t put forth the effort or gets into trouble, they’re shown the door.
Hello my dear colleague-if I may expand on Bags comments which I certainly endorse and have very strong feelings about as well- Saban recruits beyond the "85 scholarship promises" and while only allowed 85 scholarships, he will tell 100 recruits they have full rides coming and will cut the scholarship if a better prospect comes along. He uses the fine line of the rule to get away with this. While I respect Saban for his success, I loath his arrogance. Remember last year when he wouldn't grant a defensive player a release to Georgia (where the Alabama Def Coordinator Kirby went as HC) even though he told the player he wouldn't play? He was petty and small on it and only through media pressure did he succumb and allow the player to go to UGA. He also "games" the volunteer analyst positions by employing 35 of them to review tapes and recruits. He then smugly says, "well we pay them dirt money so it doesn't cost us much" which is offensive on 2 levels- 1. because they pay them so little, he doesn't think having 35 is a competitive advantage and 2. Why is he proud he pays these analysts so little money??? This is where the NCAA needs to clamp down to avoid the rich getting richer and continuing to have an elitist set of 25 superpower football programs. He's so unabashedly arrogant about it. I just love it when someone reminds him he wasn't as successful as a pro-coach where all the funding is the same...While he and Geno are often mentioned in the same breath from a coaching success/domination perspective, they are miles apart on integrity, character and as stalwarts of the game, IMHO...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
DBB, I’m sorry but I’m going to have to throw the flag for a personal foul for that comment. It’s going to cost you 15 yards plus no more snarky comments about TN for the next 24 hours. :cool:
Ok, I know but when I hear "knock, know" my reflexes always say "who's there" even though I know I shouldn't. I accept the penalty and will refrain from any more Tenn Vol snark until Thursday, when the women play mighty Auburn at TBA...

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I looked at the Sagarin ratings. Before Auburn, UCF had played zero games against the Sagarin top 30. I don't recall many people upset that they were not in the playoff when the teams were picked. Lots of folks with 20/20 hindsight after their win over Auburn.

That being said, I have always been in favor of a larger playoff. Cut a game off the bloated regular season and go to an 8-team playoff.
Better yet have 8 teams, have them play the first games at one of the lesser bowls, final four like last night, then the Championship game a week later. Those 4 games played at a lesser bowl will have a larger crowd and it solves most of the problems that people complain about.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
A all SEC title game.
Won't watch the playoff system until they at least allow G5 schools in. The P5 refuse to play schools like Boise State, UCF, USF at home, always insist on their home field only, not even neutral sites. Expand to 8 games and have at least 2 G5 schools as part of it. Then maybe I'll start watching it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Auburn beat both Georgia and Alabama. Undefeated UCF beat Auburn. Big Ten 7-1, Sunbelt 4-1, Big Twelve 5-3, AAC 4-3, Mountain West 3-3, SEC 3-5

Thank you for not mentioning the Pac 12's composite record. What an epic fail.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thank you for not mentioning the Pac 12's composite record. What an epic fail.

Thats part of the reason the Big 10's record is so gaudy.... they were matched up with the Pac 12 in several games :p;):cool:

Reaction Score
I'd have 8 teams: The five P5 conference champions plus 3 at-large teams, which could include deserving non-P5 schools or P5 non-champions who are better than the champion of another P5 conference. #9 Wouldn't have a legitimate claim of being left out (of top 4 or top 2 anyway, although I'm sure we'd hear whining from #33 if there were 32 teams). Play the first and second rounds at the home fields of the higher-seeded teams, ensuring sellout (and partisan) crowds, and providing a home field advantage incentive .

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'd have 8 teams: The five P5 conference champions plus 3 at-large teams, which could include deserving non-P5 schools or P5 non-champions who are better than the champion of another P5 conference. #9 Wouldn't have a legitimate claim of being left out (of top 4 or top 2 anyway, although I'm sure we'd hear whining from #33 if there were 32 teams). Play the first and second rounds at the home fields of the higher-seeded teams, ensuring sellout (and partisan) crowds, and providing a home field advantage incentive .
Disagree with you on the rankings in the first place, you do realize that UCF played more ranked teams during the regular season then Alabama, but only had a ranking of 12. They played Navy, Memphis twice, and USF, all which were in the Top 25 at the time of them playing. The system should have at least 2 G5 teams. At least UCF would have been included. I also believe that the games should be played at a neutral bowl site, the crowds will still come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
well, what is "great": best played? or highest stakes? or most exciting?

certainly, tonight was among the most exciting ever for among the highest stakes.

Ironically, OK lost in all 3 of my "most exciting": tonight, against Boise State in 2007; and against Nebraska in 1971. Maybe I just like games where OK loses--that could be, actually....
Had to be the greatest ever.

Reaction Score
Not a legit title game without UCF in it.

There is a lot of truth to this. I was shocked when they got ahead of Auburn by two TDs late in the game. I figured Auburn would come out after the half time " wake up call" and score 50 points. This is eye-opening. And it will be hard to crown someone else the champ, after this win. The entire football world tried to disregard this UCF team.....that they got to play Auburn was likely in the category of, " we'll show these upstarts what real football is." Only they didn't. UCF beat Auburn, and they earned it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not even close. 1968 Yale at Harvard. Both teams went in undefeated, 8-0. Yale was ranked 18th in the country and was heavily favored. Yale led 29-13 with a little over three minutes left in the game. They fumbled deep in Harvard territory when any score by them would have made it a three possession game for Harvard to come back. Harvard scored 16 points in the final 42 seconds to tie the game. Headline in the Boston Globe the next day was "Harvard Wins The Game, 29-29". Calvin Hill was Yale's star tailback. Tommy Lee Jones was an All-Ivy OG for Harvard.

If you're interested, find and watch the doc movie "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29" by Gerry Rafferty, made about 10 years ago on the 40th anniversary. It has great, funny and very candid interviews from players for both sides, and some interesting sidebars about George W. Bush, Al Gore (Tommy Lee's roommate at Harvard) and Meryl Streep.

Reaction Score
Won't watch the playoff system until they at least allow G5 schools in. The P5 refuse to play schools like Boise State, UCF, USF at home, always insist on their home field only, not even neutral sites. Expand to 8 games and have at least 2 G5 schools as part of it. Then maybe I'll start watching it.
How can you guarantee 2 g5 schools deserve to be in the top 8 every year

Reaction Score
The two Super Bowls where the Giants whipped the Patriots are my two favorites. The Giants defense never gets enough credit for those two wins. The great Seattle defense gave up 31 points against the Patriots. The Giants defense gave up 31 points in 2 Super Bowls against the Patriots.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not even close. 1968 Yale at Harvard. Both teams went in undefeated, 8-0. Yale was ranked 18th in the country and was heavily favored. Yale led 29-13 with a little over three minutes left in the game. They fumbled deep in Harvard territory when any score by them would have made it a three possession game for Harvard to come back. Harvard scored 16 points in the final 42 seconds to tie the game. Headline in the Boston Globe the next day was "Harvard Wins The Game, 29-29". Calvin Hill was Yale's star tailback. Tommy Lee Jones was an All-Ivy OG for Harvard.

If you're interested, find and watch the doc movie "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29" by Gerry Rafferty, made about 10 years ago on the 40th anniversary. It has great, funny and very candid interviews from players for both sides, and some interesting sidebars about George W. Bush, Al Gore (Tommy Lee's roommate at Harvard) and Meryl Streep.
One of the amazing factoids from that game is that in the last minute of the game with Harvard still down and everyone in the stadium expecting an onside kick, legendary Yale coach Carm Cozza never put in or even practiced an onside kick receiving team (hands team). So he had his primary kick return team out there with 5 big guys up front and the rest of the team back 20 yards or more as if Harvard was going to kick deep.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The two Super Bowls where the Giants whipped the Patriots are my two favorites. The Giants defense never gets enough credit for those two wins. The great Seattle defense gave up 31 points against the Patriots. The Giants defense gave up 31 points in 2 Super Bowls against the Patriots.
I didn't know that the Super Bowl was a collegiate game...hmmm.

Reaction Score
Now we will see fans coming into the stadium with homemade t-shirts that either say,"HOW BOUT THEM DOEGS",or ROLE TIED on them.:cool:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
One of the amazing factoids from that game is that in the last minute of the game with Harvard still down and everyone in the stadium expecting an onside kick, legendary Yale coach Carm Cozza never put in or even practiced an onside kick receiving team (hands team). So he had his primary kick return team out there with 5 big guys up front and the rest of the team back 20 yards or more as if Harvard was going to kick deep.

Bill Kelly recovered the onside kick for Harvard. The amazing thing about the game is trailing 22-6, Harvard coach John Yovacsin pulled their starting QB midway through the 2Q in favor of their backup QB, Frank Champi, who had hardly played for the entire season. Champi orchestrated the unbelievable comeback for Harvard. If Harvard hadn't missed an extra point on its first TD, they would have won the game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I thought UCF vs. USF was much more entertaining and exciting.

I didnt expect to watch that game..... but my friend who lives in Orlando was up for Thanksgiving..... and I went to visit him and he was watching this game. It was a GREAT and exciting game......... definitely the most exciting game ive seen in years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom