OT - Frank Martin to South Carolina? | The Boneyard

OT - Frank Martin to South Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lots of rumors about this. Martin's an east coast guy, but has no ties to South Carolina. Maybe I'm missing something, but how can this be viewed as anything but a step down? South Carolina basketball?

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a big step down for him

Reaction Score
Maybe he knows something about K-State or the Big 12 imploding (further) - otherwise this makes no sense. He's the kind of quality name that could be involved with Illinois or something of that caliber. South Carolina? Ouch.

Reaction Score
He is from Florida. Maybe he prefers warmer weather. I would rather live in South Carolina than Kansas. Kansas St. will always be second best in that state behind KU, at South Carolina he could build the top program in the state. Clemson would be the only competition.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
frank and his realtionship with the kst ad and other staff members was going south quickly all rumors point to.
he has been looking to go east for a while, def doesn't like being the 2nd team in kansas. i really like his coaching and his passion. i think he can recruit pretty well at a sec school. USCe will pay him good $$ and give him a shot at building that program to something. his attitude and media savy will get him the support of a mostly fball and baseball crowd down there, i bet the fans eat him up and start really supporting that program. USCe has had bad bball for a while but lets not forget they have made attempts to be players before and this may be there answer to getting that program to the next level. FM can get the job done there and move to a big time program from there if he desires. he will make noise there i think.

caw

Reaction Score
Calhoun flirted with South Carolina once upon a time.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I am sure it is a lot of money...and it is a nice place to live (especially compared to Manhattan, KS). Heck, Calhoun seriuosly considered leaving UConn to go to South Carolina when they backed the Brinks truck up for him many years ago.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
....either that or his admission this past weekend on TV that he gave many kids money while a High School coach in Miami made him a perfect candidate for the SEC and their culture!:)

Reaction Score
....either that or his admission this past weekend on TV that he gave many kids money while a High School coach in Miami made him a perfect candidate for the SEC and their culture!:)

that was a class thing for him to come out with and back up his player. the corrupt empire needs to be demolished, one stone at a time.

Reaction Score
I am sure it is a lot of money...and it is a nice place to live (especially compared to Manhattan, KS). Heck, Calhoun seriuosly considered leaving UConn to go to South Carolina when they backed the Brinks truck up for him many years ago.
I was thinking it's likely all about money and a little about location. As for which program it is easy to recruit for and win, KSU seems to have a heck of a lot better track record. When was the last time USC-east was a relevant hoops program? Frankly, I can't remember.

Like JC, FM is one tough SOB who knows how to recruit and get the most out of his players. Doing what he's done in Manhattan, KS in SC will be a tall order when most of the top South East kids usually end up at UNC, Dook, UF, UK, WF, GT, and I'm sure a few others before they think, "Oh, I gotta go to U of South Carolina! That's the place to go!"

Then again, he did find a way to get good players to come to Manhattan, KS, when big time programs like KU, UT, and some pretty good hoops programs like Mizzu, Baylor, etc. are in the general but vast geographical area.

U

UCONNfan1

Calhoun flirted with South Carolina once upon a time.
i recall that. doesn't he have a place in Hilton Head? or at the very least, he vacations there often.

SC has never been a national player really for MCBB, so i can see why people look at the move sideways, but i think there are a lot of reasons to take the job, and perhaps they threw mor4e $$ at him too.

Reaction Score
i recall that. doesn't he have a place in Hilton Head? or at the very least, he vacations there often.

SC has never been a national player really for MCBB, so i can see why people look at the move sideways, but i think there are a lot of reasons to take the job, and perhaps they threw mor4e $$ at him too.

It was 2001. Reportedly SC had Lou Holtz putting the full court press on JC. I can only imagine how that went...

http://amarillo.com/stories/041101/spo_odom.shtml

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Then again, he did find a way to get good players to come to Manhattan, KS, when big time programs like KU, UT, and some pretty good hoops programs like Mizzu, Baylor, etc. are in the general but vast geographical area.

I am not sure you can give the credit for KSU getting their good players to Martin. Huggins recruited most of their elite talent and Martin benefited from that for the last couple of years after Huggins left. Maybe that is why he is leaving...he cannot get the high level players to come to Manhattan KS without Huggins.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You are all drunk. Kansas State is not even close to being as good of a job as South Carolina.

They write real big checks there in South Carolina - it's no accident that they were able to lure Steve Spurrier for their football gig. And we came close enough to losing Jim Calhoun to them back in the day. (Calhoun actually played them for new locker rooms, but still.)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I dunno if I'd agree that South Carolina is a better gig. Think about it, all the power SEC schools are in the SEC East and Missouri will be joining them next season. So he'll be playing Kentucky, Florida, and now Mizzou twice a year. I think he is better off at K-State but then again, South Carolina is probably a better living condition than Manhattan, Kansas.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Kansas State would be in the bottom run of all the BCS jobs and lower than a solid number of Atlantic 10 type gigs. It's in the running for the worst gig in the current Big 12 and there isn't a single SEC job that Kansas State can even sniff. It's a low-paying gig that generally struggles to draw talent even with standards that are near nonexistent.

They hired Huggins off the floor when he got canned at Cincinnati. He bails on them after a year and they are almost forced to hire Martin to keep some highly-rated kids - Martin's not getting another job other than K State at that point in his career. They stepped in s*** when he managed to be a pretty darned good coach and has led them to four NCAA tournaments in five years which is almost unprecedented for K State.

If he leaves, they can't replace him in kind. They have no pull.

(Edit - he apparently has accepted the South Carolina job.)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Martin tried to leave last year - Kansas State is not a place that will keep a successful coach with options.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I had heard back in the day after JC's flirtation with SC that he was closer to leaving than we all thought. For whatever that is worth. SC has resources.Thank god he didnt make that move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom