OT: Francesa's Last Day | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Francesa's Last Day

Reaction Score
One day in and I'd like Mike back asap... Carlin and Bart Scott are awful to listen to. Francesa may have condescending and a bully at times, but his flow and control made for a good listen. Even when I got pissed and turned him off, I knew I'd turn it back on. But good god, the new show is painfully boring and both of their voices are grating. Well, WFAN had a good run...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Afternoon drive sports talk also took a turn for the worse as 100.5 HD3 switched to WEEI from the Sports Hub recently. Makes no sense as WEEI was already available on 105.5 and 103.7. WEEI afternoon is as boring as their morning show is vile.

Reaction Score
Afternoon drive sports talk also took a turn for the worse as 100.5 HD3 switched to WEEI from the Sports Hub recently. Makes no sense as WEEI was already available on 105.5 and 103.7. WEEI afternoon is as boring as their morning show is vile.
I find WEEI hard to listen as a Boston fan because they have 3 man teams. Leaves less room for phone calls and to many people trying to talk.

Also the WEEI morning show isn't even a sports show. Every time I tune in its either Pats talk or politics.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Anyone from the Valley (Naugatuck) remember on WNVR “Calling All Sports” with Chris Berman and Bob Sagendorf. Small radio station. Early ‘ 80s and predated Mike and the Dog. Boomer went on to great things but he was a decent talk show host in his younger days,

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Is it just me or was Bart Scott going out of his way to try to take on Mike's vocal tone and mannerisms? When he and Carlin were having the lifeless debate about Todd Bowles, it was like observing two geriatric swans halfheartedly fighting over an ugly fish that neither one really wanted.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
You think it's bad now? Wait until Maggie Gray gets thrown into the afternoon stew.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I heard 5 minutes of the Continent while going to get some dinner. He sounds just like Gresh. And that is sad.

Reaction Score
I heard them for a bit today talking about catch/no catch and they took a couple of calls until I tagged out and couldn’t take it any longer - horrible

Those folks make Evan and Joe seem like the best duo to ever be on the air.

I have a hard time believing that the morning show and the afternoon show survive as constructed for very long.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It's amazing that with over two years notice of Francesa leaving, this is the best they could do. I suspect management didn't think he'd really leave so waited too long and ended up scrambling at the end. As for the morning show, Greg Giannatti does an amazing Mike Francesa impression, okay, okay. Why don't they give him some sweaters, a salt and pepper wig and some Diet Coke and have him pretend to be Francesa in drive time? That would be much better than the trio of ratings doom they're throwing out there now.

Reaction Score
Yep, I'm shocked that this trio is their best choice. Joe and Evan, while not perfect, would have been a significantly better option for the slot. Carlin is boring, Bart Scott is a tool, and Maggie Gray was trying too hard to be like Kim Jones; and she doesn't appear to have that moxie to pull it off. Sucks.

Reaction Score
Yep, I'm shocked that this trio is their best choice. Joe and Evan, while not perfect, would have been a significantly better option for the slot. Carlin is boring, Bart Scott is a tool, and Maggie Gray was trying too hard to be like Kim Jones; and she doesn't appear to have that moxie to pull it off. Sucks.

Listened today and it was just awful. Joe and Evan would have been much better. Also the callers were the quality you usually get on overnights.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Did she say, "I get that. I get that?" She needs to if she wants to be Kim Jones. I'm not a Kim Jones fan either.

Reaction Score
Carton is getting back in the game. Supposedly in talks w/ Barstool. That is until he gets sentenced to 40 years.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Carton is getting back in the game. Supposedly in talks w/ Barstool. That is until he gets sentenced to 40 years.
I have a strange feeling Carton won't do time. I did read that Carton is selling his $2.5 million NJ mansion. He also has an apartment in the city. How does a guy making $200k a year afford a $2.5 million house and an apartment in the city? With that said, I still think he'll get off for some reason. If he gets off, he'll be back at The FAN.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Carton ripped Francesa good on his podcast.

Mike was good to him on the air when he got arrested.

Comes off like a tremendous arse with that move.
The guys were saying the station is a friendlier place this week. I was surprised to hear Al Dukes take a shot at Carton and Francesa. I knew Dukes dislikes Francesa but thought he likes Carton. Maybe Carton cheated him too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The guys were saying the station is a friendlier place this week. I was surprised to hear Al Dukes take a shot at Carton and Francesa. I knew Dukes dislikes Francesa but thought he likes Carton. Maybe Carton cheated him too.

Dukes is an old O&A guy. They always fancied themselves the only ones who competed with Mike and Dog.

Reaction Score

Carton got a podcast?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Didn't hear that myself, but that's a low life move by Carton.

Though given the circumstances he brought upon himself is anyone surprised?

As far as I'm concered, I used to think Carton was funny but he's lost all credibilty with me.

Reaction Score
Didn't hear that myself, but that's a low life move by Carton.

Though given the circumstances he brought upon himself is anyone surprised?

As far as I'm concered, I used to think Carton was funny but he's lost all credibilty with me.
Listening to it right now. Detailing the history of the beef.

Reaction Score
From what I have gathered listening to almost everyone on the fan is that the Boomer and Carton was disliked by almost everyone that worked there. Seems like Carton caused a lot of problems.

Reaction Score
The way I understood it the beef with Carton and Mike was that Mike was hard on Boomer and Carton coming in because he supported Imus and thought he got a raw deal. Whatever on that I really don't care. I listened to Mike and the Dog for years, and then Mike on his own out of almost habit. Listening to Carlin and crew today was not comparable.
If I were the station I would have put Evan and Joe in the slot. I really like Evan and Joe makes for interesting entertainment. Carlin isn't terrible and might be okay in that time slot on momentum alone but if it doesn't last they'll find someone else to plug into the drive slot. I like Maggie, not crazy about Bart. Weird that they came up with that combination. Bart is a great listen as a guest or fill in, not sure about him as a co-host.
I would have just thought that putting Evan and Joe in that slot would have represented less change in the ears of the listeners. Let Carlin, Maggie and Bart do the mid-day instead. They will either get ratings or they won't, and changes will be made. There will never be another Mike and The Mad Dog, at least on WFAN. It is a thing that can't be repeated. They built something unique. Like Calhoun building UConn. It can only happen once, in that particular way.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's sort of a dying format and they chose the worst possible candidates to perform CPR.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom