OT: Francesa's Last Day | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Francesa's Last Day

Reaction Score
Of course I had to check to see what longtime Francesa fan Phil Mushnick had to say about Mike's last day:

I’ll give Mike Francesa this: In my 44 years in this business, I have never dealt with, known or covered a more inexorably conceited, condescending, factually wrong, name-dropping, dissent-intolerant, megalomaniacal, pompous, boastful, hypocritical, self-entitled, self-anointed, self-delusional, unilaterally rude, humorless, imperious and dishonest person in the media. Other than that …
Yes. That said when stuck in the car with a sports story breaking you listen... until you can’t any longer. His show was never as good without The Dog who was funny. Kay is fine as an announcer of games but his show is not tolerable.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What made Mike great at his job was the last interview he had with Joe Namath. So much insight from both and just what you expected listening to Mike the last number of years.

The Fan is going to stink now as Bart Scott is terrible and three people in the afternoons will be a disaster.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Of course I had to check to see what longtime Francesa fan Phil Mushnick had to say about Mike's last day:

I’ll give Mike Francesa this: In my 44 years in this business, I have never dealt with, known or covered a more inexorably conceited, condescending, factually wrong, name-dropping, dissent-intolerant, megalomaniacal, pompous, boastful, hypocritical, self-entitled, self-anointed, self-delusional, unilaterally rude, humorless, imperious and dishonest person in the media. Other than that …

Mushnick is an arshhole

Reaction Score
Francesca is the most pompous, arrogant windbag I have ever seen in the media in any context, not just sports. The guy was a bully, pure and simple, Ana whenever ANY caller was educated at any level in sports, he would resort to raising his voice and/IR cutting the caller off. Personally, I never found him that knowledgeable nor insightful.

Reaction Score
Francesca is the most pompous, arrogant windbag I have ever seen in the media in any context, not just sports. The guy was a bully, pure and simple, Ana whenever ANY caller was educated at any level in sports, he would resort to raising his voice and/IR cutting the caller off. Personally, I never found him that knowledgeable nor insightful.

Ever listen to guys who think they know stuff on Boston sports? They're all pompous and at least he does know a lot, a lot more than them too as most are just journalists. Mike can tell you offensive and defensive schemes in football really knows his stuff.

Mikes a NY guy, he was arrogant on most days, impatient often but his knowledge was 2nd to none. Had to put up with bad mood days, some were dreadful, but most were just good sports talk stuff. When he and Dog even talked movies that was fun stuff.

WFAN for me brings back a GF memory because she lived further away in East Haven and I'd listen to and fro. Pete Franklin at night, Eddie Coleman in a slot and Mike & The Dog. The Fan will have a tough time keeping it's huge fanbase but I wish them luck. I will listen but with Cartin, Scott (you want obnoxious?) and who is the other? - I doubt they will keep many of the expectations of the drive & listen time of mine.

Mike will be missed by most NY fans a legend is retired.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm going back to FM for my hour plus evening commute. Just a matter of time before Bart Scott says something inappropriate on air. He has a filter problem. I like Carlin, and if it was his show alone, I'd tune in, but I won't for the three of them.

Reaction Score
His edge and knowledge came from obvious hard work and the ability to get interviews on the air with key sports figures. He knew enough not to say anything disrespectful on the air about the top bunch that had the most to offer for his career and feed that machine.
These interviews which happened to always be entertaining, fair and well prepared (not sure on who was doing their homework), does a nice domino effect on sports knowledge. It's usually good stuff and not the fluff Kaye manure.

But as in any craft, the best are hard to replace, but no one is irreplaceable, it just tests your patience for mediocrity.
I just hope he gets to commentate on the next Pats Super Bowl victory.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Kim Jones would have been a great replacement. She has an NFL gig, tho.

Mike didn't like his job anymore. Plain and simple. Made me turn him off a lot lately.

I got my Mike fixes through Funhouse (@backaftathis)on the Twitter. Hysterical tweets.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Kim Jones would have been a great replacement. She has an NFL gig, tho.

Mike didn't like his job anymore. Plain and simple. Made me turn him off a lot lately.

I got my Mike fixes through Funhouse (@backaftathis)on the Twitter. Hysterical tweets.

Carlin and Kim Jones would have been a good choice. They had done shows together prior and it was a good listen.

Reaction Score
I miss when him and dog talked sopranos every Monday or whatever. Also miss them being on YES for some reason.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Carlin and Kim Jones would have been a good choice. They had done shows together prior and it was a good listen.

I’m not sold on Carlin but that’s a lot better than what they have.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Sorry. I can't take Kim Jones saying, "I get that." 500 times per show.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah. Heres a quote from newsday:
"Gray said she is not bothered by the fact that she was not WFAN’s first choice. Kim Jones and Chris Simms turned down the job in recent weeks. Others were approached earlier in the process."

So who is new WFAN host Maggie Gray?
Why would Chris Simms decline? Does he have better career options? "Screw Chris Simms!"

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
So they took Francesa's salary, cut it in half and divided in three? I suspect there will be personnel changes in the first two years when ratings plummet.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Heres a quote from newsday:
"Gray said she is not bothered by the fact that she was not WFAN’s first choice. Kim Jones and Chris Simms turned down the job in recent weeks. Others were approached earlier in the process."

So who is new WFAN host Maggie Gray?
They were turned down by a few people like you mentioned, which I can understand. It's hard to see Mike's immediate successors doing well just because they're going to have such a high bar to live up to

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
They were turned down by a few people like you mentioned, which I can understand. It's hard to see Mike's immediate successors doing well just because they're going to have such a high bar to live up to
Kind of like following Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
A long-time neighbor to my parents hated Francesa with a passion, mostly because of the way he treated Rod Sellers. They were throwing a 60th birthday party for him the same night Mike was doing an autograph signing at Sports Haven that afternoon. Mike signed a headshot with a personalized birthday greeting for me, I stopped at Christmas Tree Shop and voila, I had what I figured would be the most memorable gift. Maybe I came in second. He son gave him a trip for the two of them to Ireland to watch a game with his two favorite college FB teams (Navy and Notre Dame).
My one phone call ever on FAN was to defend Sellers and point out that Laetner was the guy with a history & M.O. of dirty play. I got my point in; watch tape of what happened pre-head slam, how many incidents or technicals for Sellers v Laetner, yet Mike simply maintained Sellers was a dirty player. One of Francesca's strengths was being good at being wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom