OT: For tennis fans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: For tennis fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And it's over...good that we'll get more of the pair here. Venus played closer to her Flipkins form than in her Jie match.
Their Spanish foes are talented doubles players, but the Williams' power was the difference. And the place was packed for a doubles match.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Two American ladies, Stephens and Hampton, play one another about 4pm.
Serena is late night, after the Del Potro match.
2nd round Williams doubles are not until Saturday.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I went to bed after Hewitt and Del Potro were 2-2, then woke up to find that Hewitt had rolled to a 6-1 final set win. I don't know the details, but earlier one commentator remarked that Juan seemed to be favoring his left wrist, once a serious injury that had kept him off the court 3 years ago. At 31, and without much in the way of big wins lately, this Aussie win is big. It could also be noted that historically Hewitt's record in 5 set matches is pretty darn good, while Juan's is now just 4-8.
Anointed the next big hope for American women, Sloane brushed off a fellow American to advance to round 3. Serena also makes it through, giving up only 4 games, at an hour where we geezers are catching up on our beauty sleep.
The schedule has Venus & Serena on Arthur Ashe "not before 3pm".

Happy watching, one and all.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Are they deliberately trying to drive us all mad by playing that barfingly insipid piece of Sinatra crapola a million times a day? Jes askin.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll admit i haven't watched much Christina McHale in the past, but her game plan vs. Ivanovic seems to be just push the ball over the net and hope Anna makes an error. It worked in the first set, not so much in the 2nd set. I don't see her with a very high ceiling in tennis. I really like Hampton's game - she strikes the ball well, and really moves it all over the court unlike McHale who seems to play defensive tennis most of the time, and she's not fit enough to run all over the court chasing stuff down...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
All I know is that rarely have there been more sights for sore eyes than the Giorgi-Wozniacki match. Hubba hubba!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hubba hubba? I haven't seen that in fifty years! Maybe longer. 23 skidoo and oh you kid! Hey there, Giorgi girl!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
All I know is that rarely have there been more sights for sore eyes than the Giorgi-Wozniacki match. Hubba hubba!
damn it, I missed it... of course I "googled" her!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
One of my favorite players over the years has been Andrea Jaeger, the moonball queen. On the men's side, Bjorn Borg, a defensive player who was able to win on clay, and then on grass a couple weeks later - for something like five years in a row.

With current technology being a bigger part of the game than talent, compared to a couple decades ago, I doubt we'll see another Jaeger anytime soon.

Here's one of the many things I'd do if I hit Powerball - Sponsor a pro tournament in which players could only use < 1960's technology. i.e. - wood racquets.

I'll admit i haven't watched much Christina McHale in the past, but her game plan vs. Ivanovic seems to be just push the ball over the net and hope Anna makes an error. It worked in the first set, not so much in the 2nd set. I don't see her with a very high ceiling in tennis. I really like Hampton's game - she strikes the ball well, and really moves it all over the court unlike McHale who seems to play defensive tennis most of the time, and she's not fit enough to run all over the court chasing stuff down...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
On Monday the Sisters Williams are on Louis Armstrong "Not before 1pm".
Oh, yes, Serena beat Sloane in 2.
And Allison Riske takes the court at 11am.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
started off good then Sloan folded
More or less, yeah. Sloane has a tremendous weapon from her forehand, but her forehand started to fall apart just a bit in the second set. Serena was strong and consistent throughout.

Speaking of forehand weapons, Camilla Giorgi has a tremendous one. She, of course, beat Wozniacki yesterday. Two blond bombshells, so like I said last night, I had no complaints about watching it. I could see Giorgi moving up in hte rankings with that forehand and overall efficiency. Should that happen, I shan't be complaining...

Reaction Score
started off good then Sloan folded

As entertaining a two set match as I can ever recall. There was some hitting and some shot making in that match that was incredible. Sloan's power is such that she does not wind up before unleashing, she just explodes. Serena at her best is the absolute best.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Imagine that...3 Italians of the 6 women on court now. Our Alison is in serious trouble to Hantuchova (not an Italian). She's down a set and break. Daniela just more aggressive
with tons of winners.

Reaction Score
As entertaining a two set match as I can ever recall. There was some hitting and some shot making in that match that was incredible. Sloan's power is such that she does not wind up before unleashing, she just explodes. Serena at her best is the absolute best.

In an alternate universe somewhere, Geno is Sloane's coach.

"You have to figure out how to take the good in someone and overlook the fact they are a dope. Sometimes God gives you everything; great speed, a powerful forehand, and a 115mph serve. But he forgets to put the brain matter in there." :D

Sloane does have a few technical problems, e.g. mediocre footwork around the court that increases her unforced error rate, a weak second serve, and a weak second serve return. Those can be fixed with proper coaching. The harder bits to fix are mental: she knows very little of point construction at this point in her career. More importantly, she has trouble maintaining her play style as matches get more tense. When things are tough, she reverts to a hyper-defensive play style (not so apparent in this Serena match, but very common in matches she truly thinks she should win).

The mental things can also be fixed...but many tennis players fail to manage it. I'm rooting hard for Sloane and hope that she does fix them.

Reaction Score
More or less, yeah. Sloane has a tremendous weapon from her forehand, but her forehand started to fall apart just a bit in the second set. Serena was strong and consistent throughout.

Speaking of forehand weapons, Camilla Giorgi has a tremendous one. She, of course, beat Wozniacki yesterday. Two blond bombshells, so like I said last night, I had no complaints about watching it. I could see Giorgi moving up in hte rankings with that forehand and overall efficiency. Should that happen, I shan't be complaining...

Vinci showed your girl the exit.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Rafa has lost set #1 to Kohlschreiber in a tie break.
Roger is gone in straight sets. Bad loss in not making quarters.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I liked the highlights of Mac and Martina... the stuff they were doing wouldnt work today, they stayed at the net

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Serena plays tonight, but I cannot find any info on the sisters postponed doubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom