OT: For tennis fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: For tennis fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Venus' 2nd round opponent is #20 Zheng Jie, Wednesday.

U

UCONNfan1

Venus' 2nd round opponent is #20 Zheng Lie, Wednesday.
Very winnable match for especially if she plays as well as she did today. Why is she facing a seeded player in the 2nd round? I would have expected the first 2 rounds that none of the top seeds would have faced each other. How many in the main draw? I guess if it's only 64 that would make sense for the 2nd round...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Very winnable match for especially if she plays as well as she did today. Why is she facing a seeded player in the 2nd round? I would have expected the first 2 rounds that none of the top seeds would have faced each other. How many in the main draw? I guess if it's only 64 that would make sense for the 2nd round...

I also wondered that. Initially I thought that Venus would next meet an unseeded.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Venus is unseeded..........

Yes, Mike, but she would now take on the player that Flipkins would get. Because Kirsten was 12th seeded, one would think she would not get a ranked foe in the 2nd round.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Yes, Mike, but she would now take on the player that Flipkins would get. Because Kirsten was 12th seeded, one would think she would not get a ranked foe in the 2nd round.

My mistake - I thought someone was wondering generally why Venus was playing seeded players so early in the tourney. I didn't read too carefully :)

In any event, Zheng is not seeded so that answers the question that had people scratching heads. Petrova, not Zheng Jie, is the #20 seed and she is in the bottom quarter, opposite of the Williams.

LINK

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
My mistake - I thought someone was wondering generally why Venus was playing seeded players so early in the tourney. I didn't read too carefully :)

In any event, Zheng is not seeded so that answers the question that had people scratching heads. Petrova, not Zheng Jie, is the #20 seed and she is in the bottom quarter, opposite of the Williams.

LINK

I read that too, but after I saw another listing that had Jie at #20, so I'm unsure.

Reaction Score
Great match today by Duval! What a breath of fresh air!

7608140-590x401.jpg

great kid ! great story !..... she looks, and sounds like she is 12 years old

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Here I am with the "Venus Report". She'll take on Zheng Jie about 1pm.
Naturally, ESPN2 will cut away from her for other unimportant:) stuff.
and I will yell at the TV.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
A rain delay until a few minutes ago. Del Potro's has just finished 3 games. Venus just entered another court.

U

UCONNfan1

It's amazing how she can look like a world beater one day taking out the 12 seed, then be all over the map in a loss to a girl who really has no weapons.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It's amazing how she can look like a world beater one day taking out the 12 seed, then be all over the map in a loss to a girl who really has no weapons.

Jie didn't play like a girl who
has no weapons. She handled Venus' serve better than most and went toe to toe on ground strokes. I'd guess from her ranking that she was in above average form.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The chair umpire in the Duval-Stosur match is the same one who made that horrendous overrule in the Williams-Capriati match back in 2004. I am all for forgiveness and second chances, so it surprises me how appalled I am to see her in the chair of a major tennis match. The best place to start is to wish her well and to hope she stays clear of controversy going forward.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Jie didn't play like a girl who
has no weapons. She handled Venus' serve better than most and went toe to toe on ground strokes. I'd guess from her ranking that she was in above average form.

I agree. While I was was sentimentally pulling for Venus, Jie was very aggressive and played well.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The chair umpire in the Duval-Stosur match is the same one who made that horrendous overrule in the Williams-Capriati match back in 2004. I am all for forgiveness and second chances, so it surprises me how appalled I am to see her in the chair of a major tennis match. The best place to start is to wish her well and to hope she stays clear of controversy going forward.

Such a memory you have.

Reaction Score
Such a memory you have.

Sleep did not come easily that night. Of course, that match was the impetus for the implementation of the tennis challenge technology that was already fully developed. Nine years later, it still astounds me that Ms Alves felt compelled to overrule the correct call. Serena's ball did not even hit the line; Was not even close. The lines people were responsible for at least four other bad calls in that game, one of which was a Capriati double fault that was not called. John McEnroe was equally, if not more, inconsolable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom