OT: Floyd Mayweather confirms MMA try | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Floyd Mayweather confirms MMA try

Reaction Score
I don't think any one thinks Floyd would have any chance. However if a UFC fighter wants to be dumb and keep it standing he is giving Floyd the best chance of catching him with a shot and pulling off the upset of a lifetime

He's got no shot on his feet, even. Kicks transform the entire game.

I can't even imagine what someone like a Edson Barboza or a Anthony Pettis - guys who actually might have better feet than hands - would do to him. I can't even imagine what guys with just set up kicks would do to him. Zero shot.

You can't box when you have to constantly worry about someone taking you down, kicking you in the legs, the arms, the ribs, push kicking you, wheel kicking you... again - he'll get butchered.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don't think any one thinks Floyd would have any chance. However if a UFC fighter wants to be dumb and keep it standing he is giving Floyd the best chance of catching him with a shot and pulling off the upset of a lifetime

This is the only thing I was saying for the entire thread. The only thing. Keeping it standing is pointless cause that is the only place Floyd has a punchers chance.

Reaction Score
This is the only thing I was saying for the entire thread. The only thing. Keeping it standing is pointless cause that is the only place Floyd has a punchers chance.

He doesn't even have that.

Have you SEEN the guys at 155 lbs and 145 lbs in MMA?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe, but if I was his opponent, I'd personally keep him upright. Remember Floyd was a points fighter in boxing, he has little to no power behind his punches, plus the man in his 40's... I just don't see it happening

The last thing you want to do if you’re an MMA fighter is keep him upright. That’s where he’ll hit one of these tomato cans upside the head.

Put your head down, bull rush him, tackle him - that would be the end of it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I mean imagine THIS throwing kicks at Floyd. Just stop

Be reasonable. Floyd isn’t fighting a top MMA fighter. Everyone who he would fight would kill him.

Reaction Score
The last thing you want to do if you’re an MMA fighter is keep him upright. That’s where he’ll hit one of these tomato cans upside the head.

Put your head down, bull rush him, tackle him - that would be the end of it.

5-6 years ago when Floyd still had his legs I would have given him a decent chance to just slide over to the side and absolutely blast someone with a right hook or an uppercut while the MMA guy had their head down.

Reaction Score
Who knows? Maybe Mayweather is egomaniacal enough to think he could do this.
To the poster who said the strategy should be to keep him upright - wow.
To the poster who said Floyd would handpick a puncher/tomato can, that sounds correct.
Really, any competent UFC fighter should be able to take Mayweather out relatively quickly.
I know the boxing guys are passionate about Floyd, but his skill set was perfect for the rules of boxing. I saw the guy turn his head on his opponent multiple times in one fight I watched. In UFC, that'll cost you a shin to the chin or a takedown.
Floyd is, no doubt, a world-class puncher, but not much else about his game would translate.
would love to see it, however. I'd be cheering for the guy. Would take some balls to put himself out there like that.

Floyd is 100% egomaniacal enough, but there's practically a 0% chance UFC would ever pay him enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom