OT: Firestick w. Kodi | The Boneyard

OT: Firestick w. Kodi

Reaction Score
Just got one and installed it last night with Phoenix and Exodus, then watched Hacksaw Ridge.

The movies alone are worth getting this 10,000 times over....but what other features/content are available?

What's the deal with live sports? Mets? UConn? NFL?

Figured it was worth a thread of it's own.....so share anything you think is worthwhile.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First off, use it with a VPN or it'll take about two minutes for some guy in Russia to set up camp in your home network.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't even know what a VPN is. Talk to me like I'm 10.

Virtual Private Network. But I'll be damned if I know how to set it up in connection with a Fire Stick.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Virtual Private Network. But I'll be damned if I know how to set it up in connection with a Fire Stick.

Fishy, just to be clear, are you suggesting hacker risk from Kodi or even from a normal Fire Stick not running Kodi?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fishy, just to be clear, are you suggesting hacker risk from Kodi or even from a normal Fire Stick not running Kodi?

Normal Firestick is fine. Even a normal Firestick running Kodi is fine.

It's when you start using third-party add-ons to pirate movies, etc., you can run into problems.

First, your ISP is sniffing for that sort of thing and if you use it long enough, you are all but assured to be contacted.

Second, the people who write third-part add-ons aren't always the best people in the world. The add-on might be a front for a man-in-the-middle situation where you're running all of your traffic through them first.

Reaction Score

It's when you start using third-party add-ons to pirate movies, etc., you can run into problems.

First, your ISP is sniffing for that sort of thing and if you use it long enough, you are all but assured to be contacted.

Second, the people who write third-part add-ons aren't always the best people in the world. The add-on might be a front for a man-in-the-middle situation where you're running all of your traffic through them first.

All of my firestick traffic? Or all of my ipad, iphone, laptop traffic?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought this thread was going to be about UFC 208.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
All of my firestick traffic? Or all of my ipad, iphone, laptop traffic?

Theoretically, all of it, but in practice, likely only the Firestick traffic.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I have money. I'll pay for the stuff I watch.

Reaction Score
I pay 200.00 a month for internet and cable with movie and sports packages.

Reaction Score
IP vanish is a highly rated one
It's fairly easy to setup there are tutorials out there in google
If u want to try one month it costs about 10 bucks with less per month if u sign up for longer periods

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you go for a VPN, it's recommended that you use one that does not keep logs and is located outside the US. AirVPN or PIA (private internet access) are both very good options.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I went the media PC/kodi route for a while... then I realized that I was spending more time on the software than I was actually watching things. I know life is much easier these days... but a Roku streaming stick gives me 99% of what I need, for $40, and I don't have to worry to much about Russian hackers. Every once in a while the weaker part of me thinks something like a nVidia Shield would be fun to play with... then I remember I have a life. :)

I got a new TV... and now I'm trying to figure out if I should dump Roku on my main set and just use Android TV. I have a Premiere+ on that one so 4k isn't an issue.

Reaction Score
Eh. I download tons of stuff, put it in the folders I want that are linked to Plex. Minimal effort and the Plex client works on Roku boxes, and smart TVs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom