OT: Favorite toys while growing up.... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite toys while growing up....

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Late 70s a kid across the street got this game. Offense play cards were paired against Defense play cards to reveal potential outcomes. Then you ping the pinger and play on.

Great game.

1587006862469.png

Dove

Reaction Score
My cap gun. Last gun I ever cared about. And smashing the roll of caps with a hammer on the sidewalk was the best . Nice racket.
Ha ha...caps. Paper with gun powder. Good times!!

Dove

Reaction Score
Worked fine if by "Run a route" you meant "go in circles until it falls down".
I remember the player bases had dials. What the hell did the dials do?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I remember the player bases had dials. What the hell did the dials do?
That must've been a later development. We used to twist the little clear plastic fins they rode on. If you got them to twist far enough in opposite directions without dislodging them you could make a guy spin pretty much in place.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Loved this game! Drafted teams and played full seasons!
We played 20 game seasons. I tracked league leaders in wins and home runs. I found all the sheets in my parent's attic a few years back, but the dice are gone. From what I recall the paint on the numbers was wearing from using them so much.

I can't begin to tell you how much I loved that game....

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not good at posting pictures. But I amused myself with the vibrating football game. Players would move across the board haphazardly. Had small felt football
My players too often spun in circles.

It was tremendously labor intensive putting the decal numbers on the players, but it's where I learned the general numbering scheme for linemen and 'skill positions.'

I still have one of the spring-loaded kickers.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I liked building stuff, but I never got the really, really big set to build everything in the brochure :(
View attachment 53129
After the Saturday cartoon thread, I figured this thread would come up soon. I had great toys growing up, and enough of them to make many here want to beat me up for it.

I loved playing with them all, and most of them (like my baseball cards) got strategically rotated out by my mother, to a variety of kids who had less. I may not have been happy, at the time, but clearly room was made for the new, and the lessons have endured.

My Kenner Girder & Panel set had a yellow elevator cab & motor mechanism. With a companion set, I was also able to build roads & highways, and there were even exit signs and such.

Along with Lincoln Logs, American Bricks, Tinker Toys, and Poly Rods, the Kenner set was passed on to my 4 year old next door neighbor in the past year, as he displayed a strong interest in & aptitude for building toys. Those that he doesn't like as much will go to the children's area of the local library branch.

In this thread, it has been easier to mostly Like the toys that others have posted, if I grew up with them too. I'll post pictures of a few items I haven't yet seen.

Reaction Score
Thank the lord this topic is on the Men's board, sure the women's board would have different answers and some R (or X) rated.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Connecticut Leather Company- Talk about a company that evolved. They started out making shoe parts.
Leather making kits - > cool pools - > personal computers - >Cabbage Patch Kids. They were known for boom & bust product cycles.

If you have ever seen the iconic photograph of the first dozen or so Microsoft employees, it includes a Harvard classmate of Bill Gates, who it is said invested or lent money to finance the company's relocation from Albuquerque to Seattle. He was the grandson of the founder of Coleco.

Reaction Score
Leather making kits - > cool pools - > personal computers - >Cabbage Patch Kids.

If you have ever seen the iconic photograph of the first dozen or so Microsoft employees, it includes a Harvard classmate of Bill Gates, who it is said invested or lent money to finance the company's relocation from Albuquerque to Seattle. He was the grandson of the founder of Coleco.

Hope it was an equity investment and not a loan.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is what I played before APBA. Used a spinner for circular player cards, that corresponded to player stats. Mostly, I played Hall of Famers against current day players, either American or National League All-Stars.
Screenshot_20200416-142805.png

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
My brother & I had a pair of these the 3 yrs we live in Quebec when we were in grammer school. We beat the snot out of those things all winter long which were way longer than the summers
motoski.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom