OT: Favorite Old Movies | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Old Movies

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last one for the day! Ah, the glories of going to the movies for a Saturday Matinee, two movies, cartoons for two bits,and a Bonomo's Turkish Taffy Bar (vanilla; chocolate and strawberry were gross) and one of my childhood idols:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Okay, shameless liar that I am: The most brilliant comedy actor of our time in the Iconic CaddyShack, even if it doesn't get any respect (see what I did there):

Reaction Score
Most of you and your choices are too high brow for me - yes all great movies, but my tastes are more simple or simple minded. A truly great period piece however, that I watch every time I can, involves one of the great duos of "modern" movie making, John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. I chose this scene to get you flks ready for your NCAA game viewing in your favorite pub:

The Quiet Man is one of John Ford's best movies, one that we watch often when it shows up on television as well. Of course, Ford made a bunch of great movies. Ford is regarded as probably the greatest American movie director of all time, the guy knew how to paint a pictures on the big screen that tell quite a story.

Reaction Score
Personal favorite great 50+ yo films: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), Midnight Cowboy (1969), The Maltese Falcon (1941), Requium For a Heavyweight (1962), The Asphalt Jungle (1950). For overall quality the 1950s was the best decade because of the new competition from TV. Just 1957 alone produced at least 10 superior films (ex. Paths of Glory, A Hatful of Rain, Edge of the City, Twelve Angry Men, 3:10 To Yuma).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
kinda funny how this one never seems to be even mentioned in most "best whatever" surveys, yet it's one of only a few films ever made that airs annually. and, unlike those other few, it can air 24 hrs a day, often for days on end, and on multiple bigtime networks. add up the total viewers over time - I triple dog dare you to find a more watched film. we luv it! (ps. same vintage as caddyshack above)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A whole genre of movies involving transporting prisoners cross country was born with the Nicholson flick:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
(ex. Paths of Glory, A Hatful of Rain, Edge of the City, Twelve Angry Men, 3:10 To Yuma).

I have to second this one. I stumbled on to it just a few years ago, it had never been on my radar screen. I almost didn't pull the trigger as I wasn't a Kirk Douglas fan. He's really good here, it's not the movie I was expecting.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Ghost and Mrs Muir with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. A very young Natalie Woods plays Anna Muir. I’ve seen it a hundred times and still get weepy at the end.

Side note for fashionistas- Gene Tierney was married to the designer Oleg Cassini at the time and he designed her dresses. One reason was that she had broken her foot and needed to conceal her cast.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
kinda funny how this one never seems to be even mentioned in most "best whatever" surveys, yet it's one of only a few films ever made that airs annually. and, unlike those other few, it can air 24 hrs a day, often for days on end, and on multiple bigtime networks. add up the total viewers over time - I triple dog dare you to find a more watched film. we luv it! (ps. same vintage as caddyshack above)

I truly despise this film - unfortunately the only one in my family who does - but I do acknowledge it has absolutely been embedded deeply in the celebration of Christmas for generations of families. I'd rather have a Yule Log with music. :)

Reaction Score
I agree with RockyMTblue2 pick of the Quite Man. I was very surprised that it took so long to be mentioned. Both Wayne and O'Hara were fantastic, but as in most "great" films it the character actors that make the file great. As with Casablanca they both have fantastic ensembles of actors.

Reaction Score
I agree with RockyMTblue2 pick of the Quite Man. I was very surprised that it took so long to be mentioned. Both Wayne and O'Hara were fantastic, but as in most "great" films it the character actors that make the file great. As with Casablanca they both have fantastic ensembles of actors.

The John Ford Stock Company of actors at work, it is a well known unofficial entity. Ford repeatedly reused actors in his movies time and time again. "The Quite Man was no different.

John Ford Stock Company - Wikipedia

One of my favorites of this group is Jack Pennick, a guy who had bit parts in many John Ford movies, maybe getting a line or two of dialogue, if that. Pennick is often uncredited in his movie parts. I refer to him as "The Face". It's not a pretty mug, but once you recognize him it is difficult not to start looking for him in other Ford movies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I won't give a list, just one of. Again, not an oldie. But every time, and I mean every time it's on TV I find a way to watch at least some of it. So many scenes, so much of the dialogue from this film are indelibly etched on my minds retina. "You were saying something about best intentions?"

“Zed’s dead, baby, Zed’s dead”

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I truly despise this film - unfortunately the only one in my family who does - but I do acknowledge it has absolutely been embedded deeply in the celebration of Christmas for generations of families. I'd rather have a Yule Log with music. :)
You will surely get a lump of coal in your stocking this year. Bah, humbug.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The Ghost and Mrs Muir with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. A very young Natalie Woods plays Anna Muir. I’ve seen it a hundred times and still get weepy at the end.

Side note for fashionistas- Gene Tierney was married to the designer Oleg Cassini at the time and he designed her dresses. One reason was that she had broken her foot and needed to conceal her cast.

I am a big Gene Tierney fan. The Ghost was great, as was Laura. An interesting connection to today's news cycle is that Ms Tierney was infected with measles by a fan who broke quarantine. She was pregnant at the time and gave birth to a severely disabled child. This seems to something that just will not go away. Tierney had a tragic life otherwise also, being afflicted with mental health issues for many years.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
im not ready to put a lump of coal in ur stocking just yet, cuz, ya know, all 'taste' is personal. here is a chance to redeem ur sole (lol). another classic oldtimer? extra credit for anyone who correctly answers the question 'what is mr. magoo's first name?'

Reaction Score
Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe - "River of No Return". The title song is very haunting, I Iove it. Filmed in the Canadian Rockies, I'll be heading back there this summer:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
3 Steve McQueen movies not mentioned The Sand Pebbles (good book), for those who had hot 60s Mustangs Like me Bullitt and for Auto racing fans like me LeMans.
Best John Wayne The Searchers

The Sand Pebbles!!! Absolutely great film and absolutely depressing in it's stark look at geopolitics.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have to apologize beforehand but I love Movies and have over1500 DVD's or video tapes in my collection! So here is just a fraction of my favorites : NO SP{ECIAL ORDER
1962 To Kill A Mockingbird Gregory Peck
1969 True Grit John Wayne
1962 How The West Was Won Huge Cast
1967 In The Heat Of The Night Sidney Portier & Rod Steiger
1960 Inherit The Wind Spencer Tracy, Fredric March & Gene Kelly
1951 Halls Of Montezuma Richard Widmark
1952 High Noon Gary Cooper & Grace Kelly
1939 Gunga Din Cary Grant, Victor <Mc:Laglen & Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.
1941 The Maltese Falcon Humphrey Bogart
1956 Moby Dick Gregory Peck
1945 A Walk In The Sun Dana Andtrews, Lloyd Bridges, Richard Conte
1939 Stanley & Livingstone Spencer Tracy
1943 Sahara Humphrey Bogart
1944 The Purple Heart Dana Andrews
1959 Pork Chop Hill Gregory Peck
1955 Mister Roberts Henry Fonda, James Cagney
1944 Going My Way Bing Crosby &Barry Fitzgerald
1957 The Enemy Below Robert Mitchum & Curt Jurgens
1967 Camelot Richard Harris & Vanessa Redgrave
1960 The Alamo John Wayne, Richard Widmark, & Laurence Harvey
1956 Around The World In 80 Days Huge Cast

You're disqualified for the sin of greed!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
im not ready to put a lump of coal in ur stocking just yet, cuz, ya know, all 'taste' is personal. here is a chance to redeem ur sole (lol). another classic oldtimer? extra credit for anyone who correctly answers the question 'what is mr. magoo's first name?'

Someone very famous lately thinks it is Jefferson Beauregard;) But it is most likely Quincy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom