OT: Favorite Obscure Song from Great Band | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Obscure Song from Great Band

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speaking of the Dan, Meg Griffin just spun one of my favorite rarer ones, off their debut:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
U2 - "Red Hill Mining Town"
I do like that one.

Always really like this one. Especially this live version.
Talking Heads - Thank You For Sending Me An Angel

Reaction Score
Springsteen- I'm Goin Down
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Lodi
Billy Joel- The Downeaster Alexa
Elton John- Take me to the Pilot

Reaction Score
A few more current ones:

The Black Keys - Unknown Brother
Arctic Monkeys - Secret Door
The Killers - Losing Touch
Blink-182 - Please Take Me Home
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Especially in Michigan

Reaction Score
Springsteen and E Street - The Promise

Lynyrd Skynrd - Ballad of Curtis Lowe

Santana - Winning

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Queen - '39

I know it makes no sense that my favorite Queen song is not sung by the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time for all you kids out there) but here we are.

I'd agree with you there. In fact, I hate the vids where Freddie is singing this. I loved Queen's earlier stuff, but generally liked May's and Taylor's compositions more than Mercury's. My three favorite songs on ADATR are two by May, ('39 and Tie Your Mother Down), and Taylor's lone entry (Drowse). I found Mercury's stuff overly campy. That was the last Queen album I enjoyed listening to.

Most of the music I've listened to the past 30 years has not been by bands that BY would probably call "great". But these would be my choices off top of my head:

Kinks: Waterloo Sunset (not obscure in any part of the world except the US) and Rats
Waterboys: The Pan Within, A Life of Sundays
Bowie: All the Madmen
Alice Cooper: Ballad of Dwight Fry, Big Apple Dreamin' (Hippo)
Radiohead: Electioneering (really doesn't fit at all on OK Computer, but a great song)
Led Zep: Ten Years Gone
Replacements: Red Red Wine (IMO, the last pure slopfest the Mats put on vinyl as they were trying to go more commercial)

Reaction Score

Great guitar solo, excellent rock vocals/belching and just an excellent weed smoking song in those days;)

Reaction Score
But this one win's this EASILY, just listen if you never heard it.......whacked!!

Bloodrock 2 and D.O.A.[edit]
Bloodrock 2 was their most successful album peaking at #21 on the Billboard Pop Album Chart in 1971 mostly on the strength of their single "DOA" which reached #36 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on March 6, 1971. "DOA" also gave the band considerable regional exposure throughout the Southwest and West, particularly in Texas and Southern California. "DOA" was probably the band's most well known and well remembered single. The motivation for writing this song was explained in 2005 by guitarist Lee Pickens. “When I was 17, I wanted to be an airline pilot,” Pickens said. “I had just gotten out of this airplane with a friend of mine, at this little airport, and I watched him take off. He went about 200 feet in the air, rolled and crashed.” The band decided to write a song around the incident and include it on their second album.[2]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom