OT: Favorite ice cream brand and flavor? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite ice cream brand and flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it's got to be from that creamery in Brenham, Texas that makes Blue Bell Ice Cream. The best of the best though is the Rocky Road!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There was only one ice cream that I ever craved consistently and it's been gone for 25 years: Ben and Jerrys rainforest crunch.
So great.

I'm not an ice cream fanatic. My wife and daughter are, I just ask that they keep a couple Italian ices in hand for me. I like those better.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Turkey Hill Chocolate Peanut Butter. PB so thick you gotta hammer it into chunks with the spoon. Leave your tongue pasted to the roof of your mouth PB. Om nom nom.
Not a fan of that flavor but Turkey Hill kills on flavors. A couple of years ago they came out with a Chocolate Malted Chocolate Ice Cream. Bought about 5 half gallons. What is funny, Hershey right down the street and it is not one of the favorites. OVERRATED. Turkey Hills Natural is great.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Is Carvel (sp) Ice Cream still around? They had 2 in Waterbury when I was a kid.

Reaction Score
Is there a worse name for an ice cream company than "Turkey Hill?" Turkey & Ketchup Hill is possibly the only worse name for an ice cream company.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't really like ice cream, but I had the coconut ice cream at the Dairy Bar last year and it was pretty good.

So that will be my favorite.

Went to a very expensive restaurant last year and one of the courses was a crab ice cream.

Still not ready to talk about that one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My IC purchasing has really dropped. I go for sherbet occasionally. And the Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip in a pinch.

When it comes to ice cream impaled on a stick...loved those crunch-coated bar thingys.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there a worse name for an ice cream company than "Turkey Hill?" Turkey & Ketchup Hill is possibly the only worse name for an ice cream company.
Turkey Hill Dairy began in 1931 during the Great Depression, when farmer Armor Frey began selling bottled milk to neighbors from his sedan.[4] Frey's family obtained the farm directly from Thomas and Richard Penn, sons of William Penn, and the sheepskin deed to the farm refers to "turkeyhill".[4] Turkey Hill Ridge had been given its name by the Conestoga Indians for the wild turkeys found there, so the family decided to name their dairy after the name on the deed and the nearby geographical feature.[5][6]

Armor sold the dairy to sons Glen, Emerson and Charles Frey in 1947. Milking the cows and delivering milk to customers provided these three families with a satisfactory income.[4]

In 1954,[7] the dairy began making ice cream, which sold well in Lancaster County, and in 1981, they started selling the ice cream through a few independent stores in Philadelphia.[4] Turkey Hill quickly began to expand into New Jersey and up the East Coast. In the early 2000s (decade) Turkey Hill's products were distributed in places further west, such as Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. Over the next few years, Turkey Hill rapidly expanded its distribution area, and its teas are now sold in 45 states and the ice cream is now sold in 43 states.

Reaction Score
I don't really like ice cream, but I had the coconut ice cream at the Dairy Bar last year and it was pretty good.

So that will be my favorite.

Went to a very expensive restaurant last year and one of the courses was a crab ice cream.

Still not ready to talk about that one.
You seem to be one of those guys who doesn't enjoy food and or has the palate of a 5 year old.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You seem to be one of those guys who doesn't enjoy food and or has the palate of a 5 year old.

You start a thread to announce that your favorite ice cream is Hagen Daz vanilla and you're worried about my palate? What kind of chicken nugget do you prefer as your entree?

But you might be right...the pizza and beer threads convinced me that some people put a lot more thought into that sort of thing than I do.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Turkey Hill Dairy began in 1931 during the Great Depression, when farmer Armor Frey began selling bottled milk to neighbors from his sedan.[4] Frey's family obtained the farm directly from Thomas and Richard Penn, sons of William Penn, and the sheepskin deed to the farm refers to "turkeyhill".[4] Turkey Hill Ridge had been given its name by the Conestoga Indians for the wild turkeys found there, so the family decided to name their dairy after the name on the deed and the nearby geographical feature.[5][6]

Armor sold the dairy to sons Glen, Emerson and Charles Frey in 1947. Milking the cows and delivering milk to customers provided these three families with a satisfactory income.[4]

In 1954,[7] the dairy began making ice cream, which sold well in Lancaster County, and in 1981, they started selling the ice cream through a few independent stores in Philadelphia.[4] Turkey Hill quickly began to expand into New Jersey and up the East Coast. In the early 2000s (decade) Turkey Hill's products were distributed in places further west, such as Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. Over the next few years, Turkey Hill rapidly expanded its distribution area, and its teas are now sold in 45 states and the ice cream is now sold in 43 states.
In addition, Turkey Hill stores like 7-11's all over Central PA.

Reaction Score
In addition, Turkey Hill stores like 7-11's all over Central PA.
They are all over eastern PA (where I am originally from) also. I think they are more similar to a Wawa's than a 7-11. Just my opinion.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Pralines coconut cream

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I've made 7 trips to Japan and found my new favorite ice cream - green tea on my first trip! Apparently according to an ice cream shop in Osaka it is also President Obama's too.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Nelson's Dutch Farm ice cream... around Philly. They make something called Graham Slam that is insanely good... "Graham flavored ice cream with swirls of graham cracker ribbon and chocolate covered crunch"

While not good in any traditional sense of the word, I grew up Hood ice cream... I have a soft spot in my heart for that stuff... especially if you serve it to me in a little cup with a wooden spoon. ;)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
On vacation many years ago, travelling through Lancaster County and fell into a Turkey Hill Ice Cream festival. Pay a cover charge that went to benefit the library and you were free to go to dozens of ice cream stations with different flavors and toppings. I never forgot Turkey Hill after that.

Reaction Score
I've tried all the brands mentioned and in many of the flavors. But the best ever was discovered in Ann Arbor when we played UM in football. We stumbled into Kilwin's for some ice cream. I had Toasted Coconut, others had Rocky Road and Salted Caramel. I believe it was a midwest southern brand and has now found its way East. I've seen it in Portsmouth NH and Newport RI. It also sells fudge so it can be easily mistaken for a candy shop. Try and discover it if you can. Hopefully there is one not too far away. It's the best.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
On vacation at Lake of Ozarks, MO. After dinner it's cement mixer frozen custard.

Bet the house I'm putting caramel, peanut, chocolate and pretzel if available.

The local "thing" is to mix them so thick you can turn them upside down and nothing falls out.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
On vacation at Lake of Ozarks, MO. After dinner it's cement mixer frozen custard.

Bet the house I'm putting caramel, peanut, chocolate and pretzel if available.

The local "thing" is to mix them so thick you can turn them upside down and nothing falls out.

You guys are crazy. Don't get arrested. :)

Reaction Score
it's got to be from that creamery in Brenham, Texas that makes Blue Bell Ice Cream. The best of the best though is the Rocky Road!

Many years ago I lived and worked in Brenham, TX. My office window looked out on the Blue Bell factory. We took the tour 4 to 5 times a month.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Don't think many people will agree with you. You don't order a pizza with bacon, salami, onions, olives and peppers to judge a pizza, you order a cheese pizza. Same goes for ice cream, if your ice cream is really good you get a vanilla or chocolate and it will be awesome and stand on it's own, you shouldn't need candy fillers to make it taste good. I'm not saying cookies n cream, fudge ripple etc. aren't good but if you make good ice cream your vanilla and chocolate are going to be good. There is a huge difference between good and bad vanilla.

Totally agree with this assessment. A great vanilla is one of life's wonderous pleasures. Crappy vanilla tastes crappy.

My go-to is sugar free Edy's or Breyer's vanilla or moose tracks, whichever is on sale. SF as wife has diabetes 2. If neither is on sale, I'll buy Klondike Bars as they're always on sale here.

Best milkshake I ever had - hate to say it, but it was at the Penn State Creamery.

Best "ice cream" I ever had was the bergamot gelato at San Crispino in Rome.

Reaction Score
The best ice cream I have ever had was during a tour of the Ben and Jerry's in Vermont. I had the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. It came from the production floor and had not been frozen solid yet. In essence it was Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough soft serve.

I am a big chocolate guy and like a very rich chocolate with fudge and brownies or chocolate chips. I like Friendly's Forbidden Chocolate. Very rich. I haven't seen a Baskin Robbins is a long time but they had a mandarin chocolate sherbet that was excellent.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A True Chocolate Jackhammer- Chocolate custard, chocolate chip cookie dough, melted chocolate chip and peanut butter in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom