OT: Favorite CT restaurants | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite CT restaurants

Reaction Score
I frequent the taco trucks on Long Wharf for better or worse. I can't say no to street tacos.

Any other lunch spots you like? I am in and around Chapel Street and GA23 court.

You should try the food trucks by Yale hospital. Cedar st I believe. Lots of different options and most are pretty good. Theres also healthy food options because a lot of the Drs and nurses get food there

Reaction Score
No but have also heard very good things. Are they the same people as Woodbridge Social? I have been there and liked it.

Use to go to Woodbridge social a lot for Sunday brunch and watch early football games. They had some all you drink mimosas/bloody Mary special for like $20 but we talked our way into vodka/sodas. Those Sundays got out of control sometimes

Their brunch food was great never had lunch there

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also, Charley's Place at the Yale School of Management (across from Peabody Museum) is probably the best lunch deal in town. Pay one price ($7.95, cashless) for your choice of several salads and proteins to mix and match, or one of four entrees, two of which are always some interesting ethnic dish (one of which is a vegetarian option of the dish). The food is fresh and locally sourced and the people who work there are great. Fresh ice water coolers mixed with fresh fruit takes care of the beverage, and it's a nice space to eat, inside or out.

Reaction Score
Nataz north Branford. Byob and can't beat the price, portion size and food is fantastic.

My brothers father in law literally drives 1+ hr any time he hears we are going there because he enjoyed it so much after we had my brothers engagement party there

Thanks for this one... Putting it on the list!

Reaction Score
Bistro Mediterranean in East Haven for best fine dining value.

Went here once and it was absolutely horrible. Giant hair in my food (after sending the first one back), food had a very off-putting taste, there was a sewage issue in the bathroom, and the front patio was falling apart. The manager, to his credit, comped the entire meal for us. Hopefully it was just a bad night.

Reaction Score
A couple for the cheaper/casual end...

Mitchell's in Cromwell is delicious. Best pancakes I have ever had by far. Also in Cromwell is a little Mediterranean place called Ambrosia. Great crepes, delicious gyro's, really good egg sandwiches. It's one of the few places I can think of that I could eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at and feel totally satisfied.

Others...

Sayulita in S. Glastonbury
2 Hopewell in S. Glastonbury
Puket Cafe in Rocky Hill
It's Only Natural in Middletown is too expensive, but the food is really good and you don't feel like butt afterwards. I'm far from a Vegan, but this place is really good.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Anybody try Ray Allen & family's new place -Grown? It's in Middletown at Wesleyan, near Kid City.

Reaction Score

Mitchell's in Cromwell is delicious. Best pancakes I have ever had by far. Also in Cromwell is a little Mediterranean place called Ambrosia. Great crepes, delicious gyro's, really good egg sandwiches. It's one of the few places I can think of that I could eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at and feel totally satisfied.

Others...

Puket Cafe in Rocky Hill
It's Only Natural in Middletown is too expensive, but the food is really good and you don't feel like butt afterwards. I'm far from a Vegan, but this place is really good.

Ambrosia is a guilty pleasure of mine. Very underrated spot.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Went here once and it was absolutely horrible. Giant hair in my food (after sending the first one back), food had a very off-putting taste, there was a sewage issue in the bathroom, and the front patio was falling apart. The manager, to his credit, comped the entire meal for us. Hopefully it was just a bad night.
I've been going there since they opened and have eaten there dozens of times. Never had a hair in my food but have had that happen in even the finest of restaurants and would hope that was an aberration.

That said, it is not the finest of restaurants, and yeah the bathroom sometimes smells a little funky and not all of the dishes are great. But having eaten nearly everything on the menu by this point, I can always find something to suit my mood and I can't remember the last time I was disappointed. I have sent many people there and most have loved it and become regulars, but a few have had experiences like yours and have never returned. As I noted initially, it's the value for the quality that I appreciate, but that obviously won't be the case if it doesn't taste good to you.

They also have a place in Westbrook and I have been there a handful of times with good experiences as well. Same food.

Best dish and most frequent for me is the shaved brussels sprouts salad with truffles over fried risotto cake. It is on the dinner menu only now but they will make it for lunch if you ask. The seafood dishes have always been solid, too.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Others...

Puket Cafe in Rocky Hill

You are oh so close to making a connection between real food that your body wants, its cost and your health.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I like the trucks but don't get down there often.

I'm jammed up now and trying to head out for vacation, but off the top of my head in that general area I like Tikkaway (Indian), Mediterranea (Middle Eastern), Zafra (Cuban), Cafe Java, the Jasmine food cart, Mecha Noodle Bar, Prime 16, Beer Collective.

Lived in Miami a decade, hard to find good Cuban food in CT. The bread is different (denser here) & menu options Americanized. What do u order at Zafra? Ever try Sol de Cuba? Thoughts-

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lived in Miami a decade, hard to find good Cuban food in CT. The bread is different (denser here) & menu options Americanized. What do u order at Zafra? Ever try Sol de Cuba? Thoughts-
I doubt you will be blown away by either, but both are fine. I've stuck with a couple basic sandwiches at Zafra (Cuban, Chicken Adobo); Soul de Cuba is more traditional and I used to like it a lot, but I had one off-tasting meal there a few years ago and haven't been back since.

Neither of them approaches the brilliance of the long gone and much missed Roomba.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Excellent beer selection but the food flat sucks and it is overpriced.

Go for Old Heidelberg in Bethel. Totally legit german food, good (if not extensive) beer, and a dynamite atmosphere, especially during festivals.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's still there, but Pasta Nostra in Norwalk used to be really really good a few years back. Not cheap, but the best pasta dishes I ever had.

Reaction Score
Village bistro in Milford is a good Mediterranean/tapas restaurant. Beer menu surprised me also

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wang Palace, Glastonbury.
I guess this is a joke, I was gonna say it's OK. My favorite sit-down Chinese place is Char Koon a few miles south.

Reaction Score
I guess this is a joke, I was gonna say it's OK. My favorite sit-down Chinese place is Char Koon a few miles south.

Yes, it's partially a joke because I know it's not the highest quality but my family went there all the time so it holds a lot of sentimental value to me.

Not in CT, but the best Chinese restaurant I've ever been to is Su Changs in Peabody, MA.

Reaction Score
I've been going there since they opened and have eaten there dozens of times. Never had a hair in my food but have had that happen in even the finest of restaurants and would hope that was an aberration.

That said, it is not the finest of restaurants, and yeah the bathroom sometimes smells a little funky and not all of the dishes are great. But having eaten nearly everything on the menu by this point, I can always find something to suit my mood and I can't remember the last time I was disappointed. I have sent many people there and most have loved it and become regulars, but a few have had experiences like yours and have never returned. As I noted initially, it's the value for the quality that I appreciate, but that obviously won't be the case if it doesn't taste good to you.

They also have a place in Westbrook and I have been there a handful of times with good experiences as well. Same food.

Best dish and most frequent for me is the shaved brussels sprouts salad with truffles over fried risotto cake. It is on the dinner menu only now but they will make it for lunch if you ask. The seafood dishes have always been solid, too.

It came very highly recommended. Like I said, hope they just had an off day. The manager seemed very embarrassed and was sincere in his apologies.

Reaction Score
I don't really out out, but the barnwood grill in Newtown is one of my favorites.

Reaction Score
Billy DiLegge is a phenomenal cook! Great consistent food. The guys who work on shift w/ him @ New Haven Fire are lucky dudes.

And they always call him in for OT so he can cook them meals at the fire house. He doesn't really cook anymore at Cosi cause he's so busy with the nhfd

Reaction Score
Chen du in West Hartford is very good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom