OT: Favorite Album | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Album

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I love listening to albums and I have many that I love from beginning to end. If I had to pick an all-time favorite, it would be Billy Joel Turnstiles. When I have some time, I will bore you all with a more extensive list.
There is something about the experience of an album. I had to work on having my 17-year-old son listen to an entire song. Now we're working on albums.
On the vinyl issue – the whole debate on vinyl being superior to digital is bunk. It may be better than lots of streaming because streaming is compressed. Some streaming is so compressed it drives me crazy. There is also quality loss with a crappy bluetooth component. I prefer to listen to CDs. I have a fairly decent set of speakers and receiver to enjoy them on. CDs sound better than vinyl – and that's before the inevitable wear and tear that denigrates vinyl's sound. I retired my Dual 1249 and Discwasher to a box in the basement more than a decade ago. The one thing I do miss about vinyl was the debate over which side to play. In college (graduated in '79), there were sometimes heated arguments over it. Fleetwood Mac, Rumors, Silk Degrees and Katy Lied were the most hotly argued, if memory serves. After school, it was The Cars, Damn the Torpedos, Beauty and the Beat, Candy O, I'm the Man and Blondie that were argued. Hell, I can even remember arguing over Off the Wall.
One last note, while I still enjoy Dark Side of the Moon, it was more enjoyable back when I got high.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Have to go with "True Democracy" by reggae supergroup Steel Pulse.

Been through a lot with those cassettes and CD.

Reaction Score
Rush - Moving Pictures
U2 - Boy
U2 - Under a Blodd Red Sky (live)
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Clash - London Calling

Reaction Score
I've also noticed the opposite to be true where there are glaring omissions. I thought "In the City" and "Those Shoes" were missing from the Eagles Greatest Hits (Vol II I assume). Bad Company's 10 from 6 was missing "Silver, Blue and Gold" and I think 1 other song that escapes me right now.

Yeah when I bought "10 From 6" I was livid when I found out "Silver, Blue & Gold" wasn't on it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
Still sounds great and pretty much every track is a winner. I had it 4 formats but never vinyl for some reason.

Reaction Score
The title of the album is taken from a line in "Skateaway":

She's making movies on location

It's a cool song about a girl roller skating through a city. As far as I can tell, she has an active imagination, and as she's listening to music through her headphones, she's imagining what's happening --

The music makes her want to be the story
And the story was whatever was the song

I am not great at interpreting things, so I may be way off base. But as I said, Mark Knopfler is a master at setting a mood, and this is one of his best.
Somehow I missed this nomination. Skateaway is a song that has always really moved me. I think back to those times, in the city, dealing with those really ballsy skaters dancing around cars and pedestrians and yeah, listening to the music all day long...all day long. As is usual with Knopfler, the music really evokes images.

As as for his choice of subjects, you have to remember that this may be the only songwriter in the world who would write songs -- and good songs at that -- about
--being a soldier in Napoleon's army;
-- Sonny Liston
--Imelda Marcos and her shoes; and
-- Ray Kroc.

They are not choices designed to sell records but are simply what he wanted to sing about. Which is one reason I love the guy and his work.

Reaction Score
Allman Brothers, The Allman Brothers Band
The Beatles, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road
Blind Faith, Blind Faith
Jackson Browne, Late for the Sky
Buffalo Springfield, Retrospective
Dire Straits, Dire Straits
Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde
Donald Fagen, The Nightfly
Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto, Getz/Gilberto
Ian & Sylvia, So Much for Dreaming
Keith Jarrett, Melody at Night
John Lennon, Double Fantasy
Love, Forever Changes
The Pretenders, Pretenders
Procol Harum, A Salty Dog
Tom Rush, The Circle Game
Santana, Santana
Frank Sinatra, Nice 'N' Easy
Steely Dan, Aja, Gaucho
Stevie Wonder, Music of My Mind, Talking Book
Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
I don’t know many people who’ve ever even heard of Love. Agree that Forever Changes is a great album.

Reaction Score
Besides the usual suspects, Sgt. Pepper, Pet Sounds, Born to Run, Who's Next. The one that I always go back to is BoDeans, Outside Looking In, not a bad cut in sight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom