OT: Favorite Album | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Album

Reaction Score
Two of the first albums I bought were the first "Boston" album and Heart's "Dreamboat Annie."

Wore the grooves down on the Who's "Tommy" as well.

Reaction Score
This could take awhile:
In no particular order
(I'm trying to avoid "Best of")
Beatles - Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper
Who - Who's Next
CS&N - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
Led Zeppelin - II, IV
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, The Wall
Cream - Wheels of Fire
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Stones - Exile on Main St.
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Waters. (Earlier albums were equally great)
Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell
Metallica - Metallica (The Black Album)
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Bob Marley - Legend
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Prince - Purple Rain
AC/DC - Back in Black
Special Mention:
The soundtrack to "The Harder They Come" (My intro to Reggae and my second "midnight movie")
Mozart Operas - The Magic Flute, The Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni
Chet Baker - Very Best of Chet Baker
(For me, the ultimate mood music, along with Davis' Kind of Blue and Coltrane's My Favorite Things)

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
John Handy- Monterrey Album

Drucker/Hambro/Mann recording of Bartok's Contrasts, on Bartok Records 1953?
BR916-800-600x600.jpg

Chicago- Chicago (II)
Jethro Tull- This Was

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two of the first albums I bought were the first "Boston" album and Heart's "Dreamboat Annie."

Wore the grooves down on the Who's "Tommy" as well.

I love "Dreamboat Annie". I think it is their best by far.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
title song???

There was no Making Movies on the album??

1. Tunnel of Love
  2. Romeo and Juliett
  3. Skateaway
  4. Expresso Love
  5. Hand in Hand
  6. Solid Rock
  7. Les Boys

The title of the album is taken from a line in "Skateaway":

She's making movies on location

It's a cool song about a girl roller skating through a city. As far as I can tell, she has an active imagination, and as she's listening to music through her headphones, she's imagining what's happening --

The music makes her want to be the story
And the story was whatever was the song

I am not great at interpreting things, so I may be way off base. But as I said, Mark Knopfler is a master at setting a mood, and this is one of his best.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For classical albums/sets:

von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic -- Beethoven symphonies (the 60's, not the 80's recordings)
Kertesz and the LSO -- Dvorak symphonies (geez, I wish he lived another few decades)
Trio Fontenay -- Ravel, Debussy, and Faure

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The title of the album is taken from a line in "Skateaway":

She's making movies on location

It's a cool song about a girl roller skating through a city. As far as I can tell, she has an active imagination, and as she's listening to music through her headphones, she's imagining what's happening --

The music makes her want to be the story
And the story was whatever was the song

I am not great at interpreting things, so I may be way off base. But as I said, Mark Knopfler is a master at setting a mood, and this is one of his best.
I know the song. Have it in my library. I've seen the video with Jayzike Azikiwe. Just wasn't sure what song you were talking about because you called it the title song (which would make it "Making Movies").

For anyone who hasn't seen it.

Reaction Score
I hadn't considered classical albums when composing my list, but I would be remiss if I neglected to add the album that piqued my lifelong love of classical music at the age of 8 or 9---Van Cliburn, fresh off his triumph at the first Moscow Piano Competition, performing Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto and Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto with Kirill Kondrashin conducting. First ever classical album to go platinum. Also, Georg Solti's first stereo recording of the complete Ring Cycle.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Grateful dead - Europe '72
Kenny Loggins - Night Watch
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
Gregg Allmän - Laid Back

Reaction Score
  • Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
  • Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega
  • Bruno Mars - Doo Wops & Hooligans
  • Terence Trent D'Arby - Introducing the Hardline According to ...
  • Paula Cole - Harbinger
  • Michael Jackson - Thriller
  • Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
  • George Michael - Listen without Prejudice, Vol. 1
  • Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
  • Basia - Time and Tide
  • Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
  • Carole King - Tapestry

Reaction Score

"Trio" is a great album, it is too bad they never made another one together.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"Trio" is a great album, it is too bad they never made another one together.

They did; believe it or not, it's called "Trio II". It came out about ten years after the first. IIRC, they had planned to release a second album two years or so after the first, but they weren't able to schedule much studio time together. So the album is a mish mash of those sessions, maybe a couple more songs they recorded together years later, and some duos. It wasn't nearly as good as the first.

Reaction Score
Might be showing my age here (and hopefully wasn't already posted) but...what is your favorite Album (vinyl), 8 Track, Cassette or CD? You know, the one that you sing along with every song.
Mine: besides every Beatles' album, Meat Loaf: Bat Out Of Hell.
Allman Brothers Band: Live at the Fillmore East. Arguably the greatest live album ever made...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One that I'm surprised that I hadn't thought of is one of the earliest albums: Masterpieces by Ellington, issued in about 1950. It has three familiar pieces Mood Indigo, Sophisticated Lady, and Solitude, and one that I don't think had been recorded before, the Tattooed Bride. The first two had vocals by Yvonne (I think her last name was something like Lauzanne?).

The cool thing about this album is that my father had 78's of Ellington, which we listened to when we still had a record player that would do 78's. When I was about 10-12 I got him a double album that had probably 25 or so of the original recordings from the 20's and 30's. So I was used to 2-3 minute Ellington recordings. This album was one of the first, if not the first time a jazz big band was able to do "concert" arrangements of 10-15 minutes. Here's Mood Indigo with Yvonne:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Even some greatest hits packages have some songs that make you ask "when was this a hit?"
I've also noticed the opposite to be true where there are glaring omissions. I thought "In the City" and "Those Shoes" were missing from the Eagles Greatest Hits (Vol II I assume). Bad Company's 10 from 6 was missing "Silver, Blue and Gold" and I think 1 other song that escapes me right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom