OT: Favorite Album | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Album

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Might be showing my age here (and hopefully wasn't already posted) but...what is your favorite Album (vinyl), 8 Track, Cassette or CD? You know, the one that you sing along with every song.
Mine: besides every Beatles' album, Meat Loaf: Bat Out Of Hell.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm really bad at the picking a favorite in any category thing, but I'll give it a try. Most records have some filler. Way too many only have a couple good songs. Even some greatest hits packages have some songs that make you ask "when was this a hit?" With that in mind, the one that first popped into my head that is just consistently really good from opening track to the last one is Old 97s "Too Far to Care." Saw them perform every song straight through to celebrate the 15th anniversary of its release, then they played a second set with a bunch of their other songs. Really good show.

Reaction Score
In no particular order:

Rubber Soul- Beatles
Crosby, Stills, & Nash- 1st album
Revolver- Beatles
Surrealistic Pillow- Jefferson Airplane
Bayou Country - Creedence
Eat a Peach- Allman Brothers
In Search of the Lost Chord- Moody Blues
Marshall Tucker Band - Self Titled
Court and Spark- Joni Mitchell
High Tides and Green Grass- Rolling Stones
Hard Days Night - Beatles
Moondance - Van Morrison

I'm sure there are others :D

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Does anyone really listen to albums anymore?

I know the way music is acquired/listened to has drastically changed in the digital age, but yes, I do still listen to a cd in its entirety sometimes.

I think for true hardcore passionate fans of music, vinyl is by far and away the best quality sound and the delivery system of choice. I cant count myself among that type of fan, I don't have a turntable and own zero albums on vinyl. But it's still out there and a viable medium.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Right now, I'll go with Amy Winehouse Back to Black

To answer your question, that's why I said that I may be showing my age. I guess nowadays the vast majority of listeners download digital content so listening to "albums" is old fashioned. But I still have hundreds of music CDs and sold hundreds of vinyl albums before I moved in the early 2000s.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know the way music is acquired/listened to has drastically changed in the digital age, but yes, I do still listen to a cd in its entirety sometimes.

I think for true hardcore passionate fans of music, vinyl is by far and away the best quality sound and the delivery system of choice. I cant count myself among that type of fan, I don't have a turntable and own zero albums on vinyl. But it's still out there and a viable medium.

I still have my turntable a moving coil cartridge with a shibata cut stylus. I like vinyl but I think modern downloads are more "true" even though they are not the music we remember. Sometimes I like like the vinyl version better, but that's probably nostalgia more than a critical appraisal of both versions.
To answer your question, that's why I said that I may be showing my age. I guess nowadays the vast majority of listeners download digital content so listening to "albums" is old fashioned. But I still have hundreds of music CDs and sold hundreds of vinyl albums before I moved in the early 2000s.

Occasionally I'll put on album, but now I'm more of playlist guy. Faster, easier, better quality, more customization which sometimes is listening to an album from to back, but sometimes it's not.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
In no particular order:

Rubber Soul- Beatles
Crosby, Stills, & Nash- 1st album
Revolver- Beatles
Surrealistic Pillow- Jefferson Airplane
Bayou Country - Creedence
Eat a Peach- Allman Brothers
In Search of the Lost Chord- Moody Blues
Marshall Tucker Band - Self Titled
Court and Spark- Joni Mitchell
High Tides and Green Grass- Rolling Stones
Hard Days Night - Beatles
Moondance - Van Morrison

I'm sure there are others :D

Great choices here. And sure there are others.

Reaction Score
Elvis Presley, ‘The Sun Sessions’

Many believe rock & roll was born on July 5th, 1954, at Sun Studio in Memphis. Elvis Presley, guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black were horsing around with "That's All Right, Mama," a tune by bluesman Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup, when producer Sam Phillips stopped them and asked, "What are you doing?" "We don't know," they said. Phillips told them to "back up and do it again." The A side of Presley's first single (backed with a version of Bill Monroe's "Blue Moon of Kentucky"), "That's All Right" was issued by Sun on July 19th. It may or may not be the first rock & roll record. But the man who would be King was officially on wax. Bridging black and white, country and blues, his sound was playful and revolutionary, charged by a spontaneity and freedom that changed the world. "It's the blues," critic Greil Marcus wrote in his classic book Mystery Train. "But free of all worry, all sin; a simple joy with no price to pay." Presley released four more singles on Sun – including definitive reinventions of Wynonie Harris' "Good Rockin' Tonight" and Junior Parker's "Mystery Train" – before moving on to immortality when Phillips sold his contract to RCA for $35,000. Incredibly, it took more than 20 years for Presley's Sun output to be properly collected on a 1976 LP – which has since been superseded by this 1999 double-CD chronicle of the King's beginnings at Sun. It collects everything he cut at the studio, including alternate takes and the 1953 acetate he recorded as a gift for his mother as a shy and awkward recent high school graduate.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
The album "Something Came over me," by the Cassandra Complex. My favorite track is "Angels in the Sky."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Yes, I absolutely listen to albums. An album in its best sense is a set of something (songs in the cases of an LP/CD) that's been put together with some sense of how this set of stuff should be presented. I have three ipods, all filled with albums. I can't stand to listen to isolated cuts, which I try every so often. I'll hear one song and expect another, then it's not there if it's not the album playing.

Current favorite album is Universal Migrator by Ayreon (I don't see this changing for a really really long time)

Some constants:

Beatles: A Hard Day's Night
Kinks: Arthur
Eno: Before and After Science
Gentle Giant: Power and the Glory
Miles: Kind of Blue

Reaction Score
Not counting greatest hits or live albums:

Aerosmith ~ Rocks
John Hiatt ~ Slow Turning
Dire Straits ~ Making Movies
Foo Fighters~ wasting Light
Bruce ~ The River
Chris Stapleton ~ traveler
Gin Blossoms~ New Miserable Experience
Neil Young ~ Ragged Glory
Zac Brown ~ Jekyll & Hyde
Pearl Jam ~ Ten
Stevie Ray Vaughan ~ In Step

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Steely Dan - Katy Lied, Countdown to Ecstasy
Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach, Live at the Fillmore
Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other assorted love songs
Stones - Exile on main Street
Sade - Love Deluxe
Doobie Brothers - Livin' on the Fault Line
Yes - Fragile
Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
Lou Reed - Transformer
David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
Average White band - AWB
Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Reaction Score
I don't listen to albums any more, but that doesn't mean there are no favorites:
Here's one: Electric Light Orchestra "ELO's Greatest Hits."
Two more: Dire Straits: "Brothers in Arms" and "Love Over Gold."
Judi Collins, "Wildflowers"
Steeleye Span "Below the Salt"

Reaction Score
Allman Brothers, The Allman Brothers Band
The Beatles, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road
Blind Faith, Blind Faith
Jackson Browne, Late for the Sky
Buffalo Springfield, Retrospective
Dire Straits, Dire Straits
Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde
Donald Fagen, The Nightfly
Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto, Getz/Gilberto
Ian & Sylvia, So Much for Dreaming
Keith Jarrett, Melody at Night
John Lennon, Double Fantasy
Love, Forever Changes
The Pretenders, Pretenders
Procol Harum, A Salty Dog
Tom Rush, The Circle Game
Santana, Santana
Frank Sinatra, Nice 'N' Easy
Steely Dan, Aja, Gaucho
Stevie Wonder, Music of My Mind, Talking Book
Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that's one of their better albums. The title song is one of Mark's best -- he's all about setting a mood, and does a great job in that one.
title song???

There was no Making Movies on the album??

1. Tunnel of Love
  2. Romeo and Juliett
  3. Skateaway
  4. Expresso Love
  5. Hand in Hand
  6. Solid Rock
  7. Les Boys

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics