OT: Fair or Foul - Standing up at a game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Fair or Foul - Standing up at a game?

Reaction Score
I can clap yell and scream just as well sitting as standing.
Why pay big bucks for good seats and stand?
No problem standing at the appropriate times during the game.
Do you stand when watching on TV at home?
For at least half the game - I do stand at home. Used to joke with my husband and son I would have been better sitting in the student section so I could stand whenever I wanted to.

Reaction Score

Oh yes I do. I pace, lie down in the floor when I can't take it, and scream just as loud in big moments as I would a game. Is there any other way?

And also, there are moments you just rise out if yout seat because it is time to get people going or you know a rally or big play is coming. But after its over, back down.

I remember Sweet 16 and Elite 8 in DC getting told to sit down. I begrudingly did every so often but you're not gonna get me down all the time when its on the line and we need a play.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At the XL Center? Because my knees hurt.

In all seriousness, when I used to go to more live games (particularly at older venues like Fenway), I used to stand during every TV timeout just to flex my legs. They aren't jackknifed at 65 degrees (Nor is the atmosphere so electric) on my couch.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I onced called the Athletic Department and spoke to an associate AD about standing at the Rent, because I had traditionally stood on defensive third downs and then had people one year asking me to stop and threatening to call security. They said stand -- we want fans into the game -- and gave me a cell number to call if security told me to sit.

That having been saId, if you're standing for huge blocks of time all by yourself, yes, it can be rude.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Shouldn't we be discussing important matters like no replay? It was driving me nuts with all those stops and reviews. Especially on that elbowing foul on Memphis that was away from the ball. I never saw it in real time.

Reaction Score
[/]
Actually, often times I do. It does depend on the in game situation. But, I have a hard time sitting still.

Reaction Score
Standing up is all about respecting others. While all should stand up when things are on a roll or when the team needs a push, people waving to stand up sure of course. But elderly people behind you or parents with little kids, then just know the situation and be kind about it. Anything else is just plain disrespectful.

Oh and if it's the other teams fans, the rules change! LOL

Reaction Score
Oh yes I do. I pace, lie down in the floor when I can't take it, and scream just as loud in big moments as I would a game. Is there any other way?

And also, there are moments you just rise out if yout seat because it is time to get people going or you know a rally or big play is coming. But after its over, back down.

I remember Sweet 16 and Elite 8 in DC getting told to sit down. I begrudingly did every so often but you're not gonna get me down all the time when its on the line and we need a play.
My dogs sometimes leave the room due to my yelling, clapping, stomping, pacing. After 37+years of live games I gotten worse having to watch on TV now. Although I know I pissed off some Indiana fans in MSG and NOVA fans at the Wells Fargo Center - was cleansing.

Reaction Score
My dogs sometimes leave the room due to my yelling, clapping, stomping, pacing. After 37+years of live games I gotten worse having to watch on TV now. Although I know I pissed off some Indiana fans in MSG and NOVA fans at the Wells Fargo Center - was cleansing.
The best one for me was this year at the Wells Fargo center, the guy behind me asking why the hell are there so many UConn fans in this box! I laughed and then we had a great conversation the rest of the game. Look forward to seeing him again next year!

Reaction Score
FWIW, I onced called the Athletic Department and spoke to an associate AD about standing at the Rent, because I had traditionally stood on defensive third downs and then had people one year asking me to stop and threatening to call security. They said stand -- we want fans into the game -- and gave me a cell number to call if security told me to sit.

That having been saId, if you're standing for huge blocks of time all by yourself, yes, it can be rude.

I didn't believe you were actually a lawyer until I read this.

Reaction Score

Were you standing on 3rd downs to better yell “Edsall wtf are you teaching them, you know the other teams arent supposed to get first downs at will, right’”

Reaction Score
Not at a UConn game, but at F1 race i once put my hand on a man shoulder and moved him into the sitting position. That was the best part of the day by far.

Reaction Score
I think there are times during a game when it's appropriate to stand and everyone should stand. For example, down the stretch of a close game on an important possession. I mean this is a sporting event, not opera. But I don't think you should stand a good portion of the game if you're impeding someone else seeing the game.

A couple years ago my son and I were at a Celtics playoff game that was highly contested and the score was close down the stretch. Everyone was standing the last couple minutes. A couple behind me (not elderly) told me and my son to sit down. My instincts were to sit down but then I looked around and everyone was standing. I politely asked the couple why they only wanted us to sit down because if I sat down then I couldn't see the game because everyone in front of me was standing. They agreed and then stood.

Reaction Score
If a person is standing in a Standing Room Only section.......

Reaction Score
As you can see for most of the replies people who stand want it to be about them. It's all about them. I know everyone else bought a ticket but it's really about them and their experience.

Reaction Score
I just watched the highlight video from the Memphis game and it looked like everyone was standing from about the 3:00 mark until the end of the game. So if you're standing during that time and someone behind you tells you to sit down because they can't see, what do you do?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you're pretty much the only person standing, you're being a jerk.

This. If someone in front of you is standing, then stand. If you are in the back row, then stand if you'd like. If you are in the student section, they stand so deal with it. If you instinctively stand up before a key play, fine. Otherwise you are a douchenozzle.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I just watched the highlight video from the Memphis game and it looked like everyone was standing from about the 3:00 mark until the end of the game. So if you're standing during that time and someone behind you tells you to sit down because they can't see, what do you do?

If there is someone else standing in front of you, fine. If not, then sit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom