Ot: Ever known a murder victim? | The Boneyard

Ot: Ever known a murder victim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sadly I think I have.

Dr Autumn Klein was close friends with a friend of mine 20 yrs ago, so I used to hear her name a lot. And I would see her around and always thought she was very nice. More recently another good friend went to her for medical treatment. Given her advanced expertise (she was doing pioneering work), she was a huge help to my friend.

She suddenly and mysteriously died in April at age 41. Now it looks like she was murdered by her husband. Terrible and terribly sad!

It's one of those stories you always hear about others; never thinking that it would happen in your world. Even tho I only knew her tangentially, long ago ... still very weird.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57595616/pitt-medical-researcher-in-poisoning-arrested-in-w.va/

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Clicked on the link. Weird story. It makes you wonder what some people are thinking, to think they can get away with something like that.

Reaction Score
From what I've read so far, it seems to be a fluke that they caught it. Cyanide is apparently hard to trace, and not something you would normally look for.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
A friend of my mother's and the friend's 11 year-old daughter died on TWA Flight 800. There are a lot if theories, from terrorism to criminal negligence, as to the cause of the crash. Could be construed as murder.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
A girl I babysat for as a kid was murdered. She went down an unfortunate path and had arrests for forgery, prostitution and some pety crimes. It was a strange family. I suspect there was some molestation from things she and her younger sister said to me. When she was murdered, I was working as a newsperson at a local radio station. So I learned of her death covering the press conference. It was late 1980 or early 1981 ... long before instant information. It was a strange experience on many, many levels. As a young kid, I remember being struck by the callousness of some of the other reporters. I remember one older woman in particular who always wanted to have pools or bet about aspects of the case before they were revealed. For example, she wanted to have have a pool to guess time of death and cause of death. It was almost like you would imagine in a novel.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A female hs classmate was murdered not that many years after graduating. An unlikely victim. Very nice girl. I think it was someone she knew. I won't name her, but she was the niece of a well known sports personality. Sadly, her younger sister died if an illness just a short time later.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I spent 6 years working in Montego Bay Jamaica and one of the points I bring up about that experience is in that nearly 1/10 part of my life I spent there I knew probably twenty people who themselves or a member of their direct family had experienced gun violence - woundings and deaths. In the other 9/10s of my life in the US and 3 years in England I know no one that falls into that category. I unfortunately do know people who have taken their own lives in this country and people who have been killed in one or another of our fairly continuos military actions.
And I know what you mean about the strangeness of even tenuous personal connections to violent death. Not something that any of us generally bumps up against in our normal lives - news is full of the numbers, but they really are just numbers and we become more inured to them every time we watch. And every time another reporter asks similarly inane questions to the survivors.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I lived near Richard Delage while he was at UConn. I thought he was very creepy. Right after I graduated, I read that Paget Wetherley had been shot, and that Richard was a suspect.. In 1975, he turned himself in. Very scary stuff.

Richard Delage

15 year manhunt ends in arrest

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Sadly I think I have.

Dr Autumn Klein was close friends with a friend of mine 20 yrs ago, so I used to hear her name a lot. And I would see her around and always thought she was very nice. More recently another good friend went to her for medical treatment. Given her advanced expertise (she was doing pioneering work), she was a huge help to my friend.

She suddenly and mysteriously died in April at age 41. Now it looks like she was murdered by her husband. Terrible and terribly sad!

It's one of those stories you always hear about others; never thinking that it would happen in your world. Even tho I only knew her tangentially, long ago ... still very weird.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57595616/pitt-medical-researcher-in-poisoning-arrested-in-w.va/
Sad to say I know on the other side.

Went to school with a kid named Larry Gates. Our fathers were good friends.

When he was around 20 he raped, shot and killed a woman and then ran over and killed her child.

It was then I realized how we dont ever really know what is going on in someone else's mind

Reaction Score
Back in the early 80's, a woman named Evelyn Faford was murdered by her female roommate. Evelyn, who was probably in her late 60's at the time, was planning to move out-of-state to live with one of her children, and it was rumored that the roommate was a jealous lesbian who wanted Evelyn to stay with her to begin/continue a relationship.
Evelyn Faford was a very lovely woman who was the junior choir director at my church, at the time when I was of the age to be in that choir. I had been to her house several times, and we had been baptized in the same ceremony. When she was murdered, I was in college. What a horrible shock it was.

Reaction Score
My hairdresser of many years was murdered by her ex about 20 years ago. He killed her and then set her apartment on fire to try to cover up his crime. It still shocks and saddens me to this day.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Our family was deeply touched by experiencing both having a member kill and killed. It is and still is a deeply painful and at times raw event.

I have known a number of suicides and two murder/suicide victims through my work and have spent consider time with a couple of kids who killed their families.

Reaction Score
Hmmm...I feel a little creepy myself at the moment because I seem to know an unusually high number (in relation to posters on this forum).

1. A close friend from childhood's father shot his mother to death. I knew the whole family.
2. A high school classmate (had several classes with him) was stabbed to death.
3. A student I had in a couple of classes was stabbed to death.

Peripherally...
4. A work team member's uncle was the "wood chipper" killer.
5. I was a juror on a murder trial. Guilty.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the person I loved the most when I was a kid was murdered Feb. 1982 at the tender age of 34. Died at the hands of a man who I know did but didn't have enough evidence to put him away. I think about her from time to time but she would be happy of the person I am today. This person is/was my mother.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, on two occasions. I had two cousins on the Swissair 330 flight that was bombed in 1970. About 13 years ago, one of my best friends from high school was shot dead, along with her husband and their dog, by the husband's co-worker. The two men were at a long-term out-of-state job site, sharing an apartment. My friend came down to move in with them. The shooter had said previously that he couldn't live with a dog but she brought the pet with her, anyway. She was killed as she exited her car.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Well this is a thoroughly depressing thread! I'm sorry I ever started it!

VG - on the one hand, it is depressing. But for me, one of the values of being a member of the BY is getting to know other posters more fully and not just as Husky fans (or fans of other teams as is the case of our visitors). When we post about other events in our lives, we realize that many of us have many things in common beyond WCBB. That's part of building community.

One other thought. It has been said in other discussions that as passionate as we may be about our team and the women who wear the UConn uniform, when all is said and done, it's just a game. This thread just emphasizes that point to a higher degree.

I don't regret your having started this thread.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I'm glad you did start it. it brought back some nice memories of my cousin when I was a kid that I haven't thought about in quite some time.

Sad and tragic.... Yet I don't ever want to forget good memories of her.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My sister's best friend in high school (I had a crush on her) was murdered by her boyfriend when she was 19. He shot her in the head and turned the gun on himself. Unfortunately, the a hole survived.

There was a period when I was a kid when suicides seemed to happen every couple of months. In grammar school I always walked home with a neighbor kid. One afternoon she went in the house and came out screaming. She had found her mom with her head in the oven. A few weeks later I was collecting for my newspaper route in the early evening. I was at a downstairs apartment with a customer when the guy upstairs decided to blow his brains out with a shotgun. He was a customer and next on my route. That same summer I helped pull a friend from the water. He had surfaced under a swimming raft and gotten trapped. He was dead when we got him on the raft. The police emergency responders showed up and one of them was his dad. That really sucked. More than 50 years later I can still see the pain on his father's face. That fall I found a guy in the woods that had hung himself a couple of months earlier. That one stayed with me the most. He was in pretty rough shape and when the cops cut him down his head fell off and rolled several feet from the body. One of the cops lost his lunch.

I think I was 12 or 13 that year.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
My uncle was found in Mill River in Stamford. No one was ever convicted but he dated a girl who's family had ties with the KKK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
When I was a high school freshman a homeroom schoolmate murdered his father.
We sent him cigarettes every Christmas in prison.
When I was first married we rented a small apartment which we lived in until my wife became pregnant. It was a 4 family house.
The apartment was then rented to a sister of one of our neighbors .
She ended up murdering her husband in our old bedroom.
We then rented an apartment next to my parents house until we built our own. The couple that rented that place after us seemed okay but in a fit of rage he stabbed his wife to death in front of their 5 year old boy.
The last event was over 30 years ago.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kind of thought it was a strange thread.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
But actually, as someone indicated, somewhat interesting.

To me it shows that we are all quite capable of being one step away from a murder or other tragedy at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom