OT: espn website | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: espn website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On SportsCenter today they were talking about how this is the 20th anniversary of the site. I didn't see them show what it looked like, but I'm sure it was horrendous by today's standards. Of course, if they listened to the users, it'd still look like that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This chart reminds me of UConn football.
Well yeah, except for the upswing part.

Edit: too slow...damn it Nomar!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
On SportsCenter today they were talking about how this is the 20th anniversary of the site. I didn't see them show what it looked like, but I'm sure it was horrendous by today's standards. Of course, if they listened to the users, it'd still look like that.

espnnetsportszone.jpg

Reaction Score
Click directly on the areas I circled in this screenshot...you can also click the arrow on the far right to keep going to other sports.

I have no interest in tennis or the NBA (today's options). so, I'll scroll to the right a couple of clicks until I find NFL or NCAA or soccer. GREATTTT!

Reaction Score
I have no interest in tennis or the NBA (today's options). so, I'll scroll to the right a couple of clicks until I find NFL or NCAA or soccer. GREATTTT!
Click on "Top Events" in the top left corner, and click on NBA or NCAA and then those drop down.

We'll get used to it, I'm sure. But right now I'm definitely Abe Simpson.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction Score

What scores were you hoping to find in the NFL or NCAA today?

Reaction Score
The same people who designed this probably got fired from Windows after Vista. Change does not always equate to progress.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
upstater said:

CBI? That's your issue?

Reaction Score
Click on "Top Events" in the top left corner, and click on NBA or NCAA and then those drop down.

We'll get used to it, I'm sure. But right now I'm definitely Abe Simpson.

I'm sure I will get used to clicking 3 times for stuff that was there before.

Reaction Score
You also don't have to criticize them for not putting NFL scores on the front page when there are no NFL games.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
upstater said:
You don't have to defend absolutely everything ESPN does no mattter what! Unless that's your job.

There's a lot I don't like in the redesign. I just don't get this specific complaint.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It loads a helluva lot faster for me than the last version. I don't spend of ton of time there, but that's at least one immediate benefit.

The overall design sorta reminds me of SI's redesign launch, which was a disaster out of the gate because the nav was completely unintuitive.

Reaction Score
One thing that bothered me about the previous version is that it frequently caused problems with flash in Firefox for me. Problems that didn't exist on other websites. It remains to be seen if this one will be more stable, but that's one possible benefit.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The site is generic looking and the quasi use of frames is an interesting (dopey) decision, but it needed an update.

The previous site was just a garbage dump of links, most of which were just buried down past where'd you'd want to scroll.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Didn't like the old .one. Don't like the new one, either. As I ponder this, I'm pretty much "meh" when it comes to ESPN as a whole. I don't like it when the tail tries to wag the dog, I guess.

Reaction Score
Bump

So it's been more than a month and was thinking about this thread as I was awkwardly making my way around their website again today. I still really dislike it and find myself heading to there less and less each day. Just leaves more time for pron I guess.

Reaction Score
Bump

So it's been more than a month and was thinking about this thread as I was awkwardly making my way around their website again today. I still really dislike it and find myself heading to there less and less each day. Just leaves more time for pron I guess.
I actually like how all the stories are on one page and you can just scroll down and continue reading. To each their own i guess

Reaction Score
I actually like how all the stories are on one page and you can just scroll down and continue reading. To each their own i guess
Hmm, well I suppose that's part of my problem with them. I find most of their stories to be pandering crap or otherwise blocked by insider. Mostly I liked to use them for quick access to box scores for fantasy or just general stat checking, now when you click on a contest it launches gamecast which I have no use for. I'm just piling on now, but I also don't need a 5 minute video about this one player whose sitting out tonight automatically starting up when I just want to read the relevant one or two lines about if he might miss more than a game or two (just a hypothetical example).

Reaction Score
Hmm, well I suppose that's part of my problem with them. I find most of their stories to be pandering crap or otherwise blocked by insider. Mostly I liked to use them for quick access to box scores for fantasy or just general stat checking, now when you click on a contest it launches gamecast which I have no use for. I'm just piling on now, but I also don't need a 5 minute video about this one player whose sitting out tonight automatically starting up when I just want to read the relevant one or two lines about if he might miss more than a game or two (just a hypothetical example).
yeah you're not wrong

Reaction Score
Insider is a very small percentage of the overall stories. Are they the most compelling stories, perhaps.

I don't like the new site. But with that said ESPN.com doesn't make the top ten sports sites I visit so I really don't care.

Reaction Score
still do not like the new site as much as the old one, but given the they usually post on it i'm glad that the new site makes me visit less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom