I guess there's a difference... "Upper"

of course I'm not talking about colonoscopies

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
ever had one... or 2 or 3?

I guess there's a difference... "Upper"

of course I'm not talking about colonoscopies

Been there and done that (endoscopy and colonoscopy). And,just like a triple-double, an appendectomy, too (all at age 81 - 83).
bth_surrender.jpg

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the endoscopy and colonoscopy should've years ago? or did you have a few of them over the years?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I had an endoscopy a few years ago. I was having occasional trouble swallowing so the gastrointerologist took a look. It turns out I have a sliding hiatal hernia that doesn't need further attention unless it becomes more bothersome. But as for the endoscopy, you need to be knocked out, because the scope goes down your throat, but if I hadn't known it was being done, I would never have noticed - there was no pain or soreness afterwards.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
the endoscopy and colonoscopy should've years ago? or did you have a few of them over the years?

Nope. Just once. Late. Combination of necessity and procrastination.

Reaction Score
Have had several upper endoscopies. Much easier than the dreaded colonoscopy - NO prep! (other than not eating that morning). I had nice drugs and no after effects.

Reaction Score
I've had a couple colonoscopies and they were a piece of cake compared to one cystoscopy. No meds, and the scope goes up your urethra to the bladder. Urinated acid for two days.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've had at least 2 endoscopies along with colonoscopies and 1 stand-alone endoscopy. I don't remember what the prep was for the stand-alone. It was a full cleanse for the combo. The procedures themselves are innocuous. You are at least in twilight if not fully sedated. You don't feel anything. It takes a while for the anasthesia to wear off, so you need someone to drive you.

Both have great benefits. In a colonoscopy, you can have pre-cancerous polyps removed. It's really smart to stay ahead of the curve. Think about Katie Couric'd late husband. An endoscopy can be used more for diagnosis. I have both GERD and a hiatal hernia. GERD causes erosion of the esophagus, which can become cancerous, so it's important to treat it with meds, diet, and lifestyle changes.

Best wishes!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I had cystoscopies every three months for 2.5 years -- they hurt a bit during one maneuver, but it was not that bad. Funny how you talk about painful urination afterwards. Every procedure was prepped by the same nurse except one. I never experienced a bit of pain after any of the procedures she prepped. I was hurting in the bathroom for days after the one she did not prep. I know the other nurse did something wrong because the doctor realized it as he was going in, he said something to the nurse, and we started again. For those of you who don't know, a cystoscopy involves examining the inside of your bladder with a camera -- and there is only one way to get in. The tool is also large enough to have a camera, a water tube and a tool for taking samples. When people ask me about it, I tell them it beats the old days when they had to use a VHS camera.

So here we are in a basketball chat room sharing stories about our medical procedures -- what do you mean the WCBB demographic skews towards old people?!?!?!?!

I had an endoscopy and it was completely uneventful.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had cystoscopies every three months for 2.5 years -- they hurt a bit during one maneuver, but it was not that bad. Funny how you talk about painful urination afterwards. Every procedure was prepped by the same nurse except one. I never experienced a bit of pain after any of the procedures she prepped. I was hurting in the bathroom for days after the one she did not prep. I know the other nurse did something wrong because the doctor realized it as he was going in, he said something to the nurse, and we started again. For those of you who don't know, a cystoscopy involves examining the inside of your bladder with a camera -- and there is only one way to get in. The tool is also large enough to have a camera, a water tube and a tool for taking samples. When people ask me about it, I tell them it beats the old days when they had to use a VHS camera.

So here we are in a basketball chat room sharing stories about our medical procedures -- what do you mean the WCBB demographic skews towards old people?!?!?!?!

I had an endoscopy and it was completely uneventful.
I think this reflects the aging demographic of the BY and maybe WCBB fans in general. :)

I've had a cysto as well. The urologist says, "I'm in your bladder now." My reply: "I know, dammit."

Reaction Score
Had colonoscopies in the past. I do recommend them as a diagnostic tool. I had one bad experience. The physician performing the procedure had used too much air pressure in expanding the bowel & created an obstruction at the site where the scar tissue from a appendectomy that had been performed when I was a teenager. As a result, I could not pass food thru my bowel. I ended up in the hospital for 1 week with a prognosis of possible bowel surgery to remove the obstructed tissue. I lived for almost a week with a tube inserted down my noise & esophagus into my abdomen for drainage into a large jar. God was good to me. Just prior to surgery, the obstruction cleared & I was discharged. The physician who performed the colonoscopy is no longer in practice for medical ethical reasons. Tell them, not to use too much air pressure, Please !

Reaction Score
I think this reflects the aging demographic of the BY and maybe WCBB fans in general. :)

I've had a cysto as well. The urologist says, "I'm in your bladder now." My reply: "I know, dammit."

Im 30 and getting an Endo on Monday. Got a piece of steak caught in my esophagus a few months back and had to get it removed in the OR. No one can claim they've ever eaten a more expensive piece of steak than I. They are going to into check for inflammation, stricture, ring, etc.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The good news for today is that everyone posting in this thread is not only still very much alive but sufficiently feisty to share their occasionally harrowing medical procedural experiences with the rest of us survivors.

HOORAY for that!:D

Reaction Score
Had both in the fall. Neither procedure was eventful, but the prep for the colonoscopy wasn't fun. Found out I have a hiatal hernia, barret's esophagus, acid reflux, diverticulosis. All I wanted to know is if I had an ulcer or not. Have to get a repeat endoscopy in the fall. Yay.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I had an endoscopy yesterday... the procedure was a piece of cake but I was starving all morning (I love breakfast and the procedure wasn't til noon).

That damn propofol is a helluva drug, I was out quick... woke up in recovery (after 2 dreams) smiling.

No issue with throat at all.
Was there all of 2 hours... found nothing!

Colonoscopy I'm not ready for that, I hear the at-home prep is a pain in the ***

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Colonoscopy I'm not ready for that, I hear the at-home prep is a pain in the ***

The information you received identifies the anatomical discomfort you can anticipate with utmost precision!:eek:

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="

Colonoscopy I'm not ready for that, I hear the at-home prep is a pain in the ***[/QUOTE]

It's actually a pain OUT the ***

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had an endoscopy yesterday... the procedure was a piece of cake but I was starving all morning (I love breakfast and the procedure wasn't til noon).

That damn propofol is a helluva drug, I was out quick... woke up in recovery (after 2 dreams) smiling.

No issue with throat at all.
Was there all of 2 hours... found nothing!

The at-home prep for me has gotten a little better over the years. My doc recommends a split dosage, with half in the evening and half in the morning. That's preferred, because forcing down a large volume of liquid in a short period of time is every bit as uncomfortable as the time spent on the john.

As you get older, I recommend the colonoscopy. It's not THAT bad and it can detect potentially serious problems before they get out of control. An alternative is the flexible sigmoidoscopy. I've never had one and have no plans to do so. There are two downsides: (1) It checks only the lower part of the large intestine, so it is not foolproof. (2) It sounds a bit like inserting a golf umbrella, opening it, and then removing it while it is still open. No thanks!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Had both in the fall. Neither procedure was eventful, but the prep for the colonoscopy wasn't fun. Found out I have a hiatal hernia, barret's esophagus, acid reflux, diverticulosis. All I wanted to know is if I had an ulcer or not. Have to get a repeat endoscopy in the fall. Yay.
Best wishes with the Barrett's! My brother had treatment for that, and says it has a 90% success rate, but cancer anywhere is something to address a.s.a.p. I have acid reflux that I am trying to cure before it becomes Barrett's Syndrome.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="

It's actually a pain OUT the ***[/QUOTE]

Nice to see what might have been a delicate and painful thread lightened up by a bit of scatological pleasantry.:p

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After years of nagging I finally got my wife aged 66 to get her first colonoscopy last year. She was given some pills (!) to take the prior evening and the morning of the exam, and voided easily. The entire procedure is much, much, much more tolerable than it was not that many years ago. I urge everyone to take advantage of this lifesaving test if avoided till now.

Reaction Score

The key is to just totally relax. After initial scope for bladder cancer, they found a small piece to remove. Had to have cystos every 3 months first year, 2x/yr for next 2, and 1/yr for next 2. So far all have been fine. I'm even a few years past the last cysto. Colonoscopies are so much nicer than they used to be. The worst one is the partial colonoscopy (where they let you stay awake and "enjoy" it).

Reaction Score
Does Barrett know about this?

Reaction Score
Having had both all at once -- unconscious, so who cares -- the other posters' experiences square with mine. I didn't have a sore throat but am told you can get one. Otherwise, it's a pretty simple procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom