OT: EDD Playing Tough With Sky Mgt. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: EDD Playing Tough With Sky Mgt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
EDD should be careful. Other WNBA holdouts have had their overseas basketball salaries as their primary sources of income. I'm sure the WNBA isn't EDD's primary source of income per se, with Nike, Gatorade, etc. But, since she doesn't play overseas, she does depend on the WNBA for the exposure and stardom which allows her those more lucrative commercial opportunities. If she sits out too long, she will become irrelevant.

Reaction Score
who has the value to trade for EDD other than Washington with Meesseman and Dolson...could see this turning into a three way deal involving another team...no matter how it works out Chicago losses again

Reaction Score
As a Sun fan, I have a lot of sympathy for the Sky fans. Still haven't gotten over the Tina ultimatum. For Chicago, this is two now... Syl and EDD. That really sucks. Its the kind of thing that can bring a franchise down. At the same time, it is easy to see the player's position. They don't get rich from their W salaries and the travel is not 5-star... why not play where they want to play? Syl gets a championship, Tina and EDD get to play closer to friends and family. The teams have no leverage on the star players and it appears that this is how it will be in the W. Sometimes fans maintain this delusion that we are important in these players lives, but it isn't so... Tina, Syl and EDD will just exchange one group of adoring fans for another. Probably looks and sounds about the same from the court.

Washington usually has few fans at their home games. I was easily able to get a courtside season ticket seat the season before last.

But the Delaware contingent is usually in attendance whenever Elena plays there.

PS: EDD, Meesemen, Dolson & Hartley...

spells WNBA Champion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like her game. I like the fact that women now have power in sport. I may disagree with her tactics but I have to wonder would I feel the same if LeBron or Curry did the same? Just thinking out loud.
I have no doubt ---you'd feel the same. However, I agree with her tactic--in business, and the WNBA is nothing if it isn't business,\ All is fair in getting what you want--sometimes the payoff isn't what one expects. A star of her current stature-has power of her own, use it..

Reaction Score
Washington usually has few fans at their home games. I was easily able to get a courtside season ticket seat the season before last.

But the Delaware contingent is usually in attendance whenever Elena plays there.
.spells WNBA Champion.

that sounds great but they will have to give up Meessemen and at least one other starter to trade for EDD...still Dolson and Hartley and EDD is not a bad trio...thinking that seeing Chicago really got nothing for Big Syl they won't let that happen again...doubt if Chicago will want draft picks either...no game changers graduate this year...like Washington but afraid that they will have to give up Cooper and Hill in a trade with Meessemen to get EDD...which is fine but would kill the Mystics depth...just a thought

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Trade DT and Phoenix's first round draft pick to Chicago for EDD. Would love to see BG and EDD team up.

Reaction Score
I bet she goes to Washington in exchange for Dolson +
that sounds great but they will have to give up Meessemen and at least one other starter to trade for EDD...still Dolson and Hartley and EDD is not a bad trio...thinking that seeing Chicago really got nothing for Big Syl they won't let that happen again...doubt if Chicago will want draft picks either...no game changers graduate this year...like Washington but afraid that they will have to give up Cooper and Hill in a trade with Meessemen to get EDD...which is fine but would kill the Mystics depth...just a thought

Reaction Score
Chicago needs a center like Mars Needs Women. Washington has twice as many decent bigs as they do. If I had an opinion on this, but I don't, but if I did I'd say that it's the lack of a good big that got this whole thing started.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

spells WNBA Champion

:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't get the tone of some of these comments, which seems to imply that EDD is doing something ethically questionable by saying, "Trade me to the Mystics or I will sit out the season."

After all, it is her labor that is being discussed, and she is perfectly entitled to offer or withhold it on any terms that suit her.

I think it is a small compensation for the relatively meager level of pay in the WNBA that athletes do not feel shackled by golden handcuffs, and are free to say no. More power to them!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's not unprecedented for a star player to leave the Chicago team. Sylvia Fowles forced a trade to Minneapolis.

Also Prince, Dupree, Toliver...at this point, there is not precedent for a star player to *stay* in Chicago.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Interesting twitter post (and comments to the post from Vandersloot, Prince, Cash)

We'll see how it plays out but...looking very doubtful that I'll renew my Sky season tickets. Hard to support a team that has seen three all-star players leave in two years.

Something is rotten organizationally, and I'll bet it starts at the very top.

Reaction Score

spells WNBA Champion.
Hartley is coming back after having a baby and it took two yrs for Hill to regain form. Who does Washington gave in a trade for EDD

Reaction Score
Interesting twitter post (and comments to the post from Vandersloot, Prince, Cash)

We'll see how it plays out but...looking very doubtful that I'll renew my Sky season tickets. Hard to support a team that has seen three all-star players leave in two years.

Something is rotten organizationally, and I'll bet it starts at the very top.

I think it's just ...

Chicago itself...

Reaction Score
Hartley is coming back after having a baby and it took two yrs for Hill to regain form. Who does Washington gave in a trade for EDD

Hartley will be back...trust me.

They should figure something out.

Reaction Score
Total guess. Washington refuses to deal Meesseman. EDD gets traded for Dolson, the 2nd overall pick, and one of Hill/Copper. Dolson then gets flipped to another team with a need at the position. Who knows maybe to Seattle for some deal involving Langhorne? Would be fun to see Stewie and Stef playing together again.

Reaction Score
Total guess. Washington refuses to deal Meesseman. EDD gets traded for Dolson, the 2nd overall pick, and one of Hill/Copper. Dolson then gets flipped to another team with a need at the position. Who knows maybe to Seattle for some deal involving Langhorne? Would be fun to see Stewie and Stef playing together again.

Washington will trade Meesseman in a heartbeat to get EDD. Since Holdslaw the Mystic has been void of a superstar player. You get EDD and build around her. Also, Mike Thibault is one of the top coaches in the WNBA. He took two very mediocre teams to the playoffs. Since there are only 12 teams with 12 players each, there should be enough quality players around to fill the roster. Also, just like Lebron, Curry and other superstars, the Mystics will eventually attract other very good player to surround EDD with.

Reaction Score
But it Washington know EDD is refusing to play anywhere but Washington then why cave in and give Meesseman? Chicago will cave eventually.

Now if the Loberty are also an option EDD gives then Chicago could get some value. But if it's Washington only then Chicago will struggle.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think it's just ...

Chicago itself...

Don't think so

upload_2016-12-19_9-11-43.png

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I don't see why you would need Meesseman if you have EDD. To me, they're pretty much redundant.

If Chicago get Dolson, I don't see them flipping her. Yes, Chicago has Boyette who had a decent rookie year but they could still use another good big - Dolson would be a massive upgrade on Dos Santos and De Souza.

Reaction Score
Why do you even care. She skipped out on UConn, now she wants to skip out on another.

Reaction Score
that would make since too..i don't think that the Mystics would deal Meesseman for EDD either...love EDD's game but her health issues will always be a concern long term...hope not but it has to be factored in the equation

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
On a lighter note:
My Conspiracy theory is that After EDD finally played for Coach Auriemma in the past Olympics and tasted how beautiful basketball is supposed to be played, she has lost all interest in her current team and coach.. Sadly she will not find another coach who can replicate the maestro... She might as well just retire.. :)

All the best to EDD, no matter where she ends up next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom