OT: EDD Playing Tough With Sky Mgt. | The Boneyard

OT: EDD Playing Tough With Sky Mgt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This have anything to do with the coaching change?

Reaction Score
I feel safe saying she wants to play in Washington to be near her family. Very unlikely it has anything to do with Chicago. She's been open in saying she loves the city.

I feel bad when this happens to cities. They get held hostage and get pennies on the dollar for a superstar. But its also not fair to the player that there really is no unrestricted free agency.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
And, let's face it, the WNBA has little financial leverage. The salaries aren't as large as overseas, there's little opportunity for marketing or endorsement deals - the league simply doesn't mean all that much to the top couple of dozen players in the US. Those players do not rely on the WNBA as much as the WNBA relies on them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Syl wanted out of Chicago, now Elena does.

Washington is fairly close to Wilmington, as is New York.

Scratch my suggestion of a few years ago: Erect a statue of Elena and put it next to MJ's. Maybe in another city, such as Newark, DE.

Best wishes to Elena.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
This have anything to do with the coaching change?
There's already speculation on that but what keeps coming back to me is that she's already taken a pass on an all but guaranteed four national championships in a row in order to be closer to home and family. For whatever reason that seems to be important to her...

Reaction Score
I don't really respect this move by EDD.

Why not just play out your contract, and then sign wherever you want as a free agent? That seems like a simple enough solution.

Reaction Score
Why not just play out your contract, and then sign wherever you want as a free agent? That seems like a simple enough solution.

As I said above, WNBA isn't that easy. She will be a restricted FA. WNBA is set up so the biggest stars can never leave a team in free agency. Their team can always match their contract offer. So demanding a trade is only option. It stinks for the team but the league rules are what cause it.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
As I said above, WNBA isn't that easy. She will be a restricted FA. WNBA is set up so the biggest stars can never leave a team in free agency. Their team can always match their contract offer. So demanding a trade is only option. It stinks for the team but the league rules are what cause it.

I don't claim expertise here, but I think I read that while Chicago CAN theoretically retain EDD by matching any other team's offer, her position is a warning to the Sky that if they take that route, she will sit out, and they will get nothing. After that point, she can sign wherever she pleases. Someone please correct me if I have mangled the facts.

Reaction Score
I like her game. I like the fact that women now have power in sport. I may disagree with her tactics but I have to wonder would I feel the same if LeBron or Curry did the same? Just thinking out loud.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This report makes it sound a little less definitive that she want out of Chicago:
WNBA: Elena Delle Donne talks about free agency and her next moves

She is clearly prepared not to play, and I am not sure what exactly she can be looking for 'in a contract' since the structure for contracts is pretty fixed. The only real 'negotiation' would seem to be the 'trade me' one. Maybe there are other aspects - speaking fees, sponsorships, stuff like that are on top of the fixed contract numbers?

Reaction Score
It's not unprecedented for a star player to leave the Chicago team. Sylvia Fowles forced a trade to Minneapolis.

Reaction Score
I don't claim expertise here, but I think I read that while Chicago CAN theoretically retain EDD by matching any other team's offer, her position is a warning to the Sky that if they take that route, she will sit out, and they will get nothing. After that point, she can sign wherever she pleases. Someone please correct me if I have mangled the facts.

I believe you're somewhat correct. She can sit out and Chicago would attain no value in return on the floor but she can't sign wherever she pleases afterwards unless Chicago rescinds their rights to her.

I'm almost certain if she sits out her rights are retained by Chicago. If EDD tries to force a move it'll likely go akin to the Fowles trade. She'll refuse to sign any offer as Chicago would match it anyway so that route is pointless. If she decided to sit out Chicago would indefinitely hold her rights until she decided to return or they traded her (Liz Cambage's rights are still held by the Dallas despite not playing for them for years). She can't leave for nothing unless Chicago allows it because even if she signed a one year deal and became an unrestricted free agent afterwards, Chicago could just Core her which is akin to the NFL franchise tag where she can only negotiate with Chicago and no other team. So EDD's only option if she wants to leave is to hold out and hope for a trade as Chicago will never let her go for nothing. Chicago can trade her or refuse and hold onto her rights indefinitely in the hopes she'll change her mind and return to the team.

If recent history is any indication players asking for a trade ended up getting their wish and end up being traded to a team of their preference.

Reaction Score
I wonder how WNBA fans will feel about this. When big Syl did this, people talked trash about her. Does EDD get the same treatment??

(I'm not talking specifically about this board)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I wonder how WNBA fans will feel about this. When big Syl did this, people talked trash about her. Does EDD get the same treatment??

(I'm not talking specifically about this board)

Yes, they will talk trash. Already saying she's a spoiled, unreliable, injury-prone kid.

Fortunately, nothing like this (playing on one's skills to get a better gig) happens in the "real world."

Reaction Score
Does she have a year of college eligibility left? She could finally put on a UCONN jersey as a one year grad player!

Reaction Score
Everyone is guessing DC, but Wilmington is pretty much equidistant between NY and DC. Can you imagine Tina, Elena, Epiphany, Sugar, Kiah & Zahui B on the same team? They would immediately compete with Minnesota, LA & Phoenix. You know Lambeer is all over this possibility. Can you tell I live in NY?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
As a Sun fan, I have a lot of sympathy for the Sky fans. Still haven't gotten over the Tina ultimatum. For Chicago, this is two now... Syl and EDD. That really sucks. Its the kind of thing that can bring a franchise down. At the same time, it is easy to see the player's position. They don't get rich from their W salaries and the travel is not 5-star... why not play where they want to play? Syl gets a championship, Tina and EDD get to play closer to friends and family. The teams have no leverage on the star players and it appears that this is how it will be in the W. Sometimes fans maintain this delusion that we are important in these players lives, but it isn't so... Tina, Syl and EDD will just exchange one group of adoring fans for another. Probably looks and sounds about the same from the court.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Please save the "Sun ran Tina out of town" posts... still nonsense and not worthy of reply.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sun had to choose. The washed-up coach or the great player in her prime. They did not choose wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom