OT- Direct TV advice | The Boneyard

OT- Direct TV advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I have it.

Pro: it's awesome. Fantastic sports programming.

Con: it's friggin expensive

I would love to cut the cord completely but for my sports addiction.

Edit: You know what really grinds my gears? The $10 HD monthly charge. Like it's not the damn norm now.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have it.

Pro: it's awesome. Fantastic sports programming.

Con: it's friggin expensive

I would love to cut the cord completely but for my sports addiction.

Edit: You know what really grinds my gears? The $10 HD monthly charge. Like it's not the damn norm now.
Yeah, the sports thing is what's driving me and it's my lifelong Yankees addiction. I have Comcast now and they have dropped YES and both are in a pissing contest, ads and all. But I think I can wind up in the same place I am now cost wise by switching and keeping my other Comcast services if I'm convinced DirectTV is good.

Reaction Score
I saw this coming in November and switched because if you'll remember UCONN early games were not available on Comcast. Let me start by telling everyone how I hate Comcast. It's a deep hate, a hate that's magnified whenever the " special" runs out and I have to renegotiate my deal. Whew. The poison is now out, thanks.
My DirecTv with HBO and sports package is $109. I have 4 receiver boxes thatyou can record on and then watch on any tv. With Comcast I had 1 "good" box. My other boxes were crappola. The picture is amazing and never goes out. The dish is pretty good size. Now for phone I have Vonage now $25/ mo, but got a special for the first year. It's good. My internet is Comcast at the 75 level which costs around $70/mo. Plenty fast for downloading, for $10 more a month you get 150 speed I think which for me is not needed. I bought a Motorola modem online for around $70 so no Comcast $10 a month charge on that and her's the kicker.. My internet runs BETTER than with Comcast's modem. At the very least it's nice to let Comcast know they don't own you for 2 years Directv term but so far I am loving this.

Reaction Score
I was just going to start a thread asking Yankee fans on Comcast what their plan of action is. I'm in Cromwell and we have either Comcast (crap) or Frontier (supercrap). I really do not want to go over to Frontier so I've been exploring my other options.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was just going to start a thread asking Yankee fans on Comcast what their plan of action is. I'm in Cromwell and we have either Comcast (crap) or Frontier (supercrap). I really do not want to go over to Frontier so I've been exploring my other options.
I had uverse and when they sold to Frontier, I put up with their issues for a few months before going to Comcast which had a similar bundle. I priced out the DirectTv packages and I can get what I need for about the same as I pay now. If you want premium movie channels, that's where DirectTV socks you. About a $55/mo extra. But I'm switching if I get enough positive reassurance on DirectTV.

Reaction Score
Boog, you'll still have access to 50 games on Comcast, though not from Yankee broadcasters of course. I'll see if I can dig up the list. YES tried to raise their price 33% and Comcast balked, I think YES is the bigger bad guy here.

Reaction Score
I saw this coming in November and switched because if you'll remember UCONN early games were not available on Comcast. Let me start by telling everyone how I hate Comcast. It's a deep hate, a hate that's magnified whenever the " special" runs out and I have to renegotiate my deal. Whew. The poison is now out, thanks.
My DirecTv with HBO and sports package is $109. I have 4 receiver boxes thatyou can record on and then watch on any tv. With Comcast I had 1 "good" box. My other boxes were crappola. The picture is amazing and never goes out. The dish is pretty good size. Now for phone I have Vonage now $25/ mo, but got a special for the first year. It's good. My internet is Comcast at the 75 level which costs around $70/mo. Plenty fast for downloading, for $10 more a month you get 150 speed I think which for me is not needed. I bought a Motorola modem online for around $70 so no Comcast $10 a month charge on that and her's the kicker.. My internet runs BETTER than with Comcast's modem. At the very least it's nice to let Comcast know they don't own you for 2 years Directv term but so far I am loving this.
I feel your pain man but it's not specific to Comcast. Frontier and others all raise prices significantly after promo periods are up. They're both sensitive about losing video subscribers these days and are more willing to work with you. My advice to people is to call in 45 days or so before the promo period ends and renegotiate. From being in the industry a while now, I've learned the video portion is expensive for the providers, they make significantly higher profits on the Internet and phone portions because they don't have to pay exorbitant fees to anyone like they do with video rights.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Boog, you'll still have access to 50 games on Comcast, though not from Yankee broadcasters of course. I'll see if I can dig up the list. YES tried to raise their price 33% and Comcast balked, I think YES is the bigger bad guy here.
Both bad guys. But I'm more interested in the Yankees than I am Comcast. I would like to see your list. I know between the Red Six series on NESN and their games vs. Mets on SNY there are 20 games plus whatever games might be on national. If the number is big enough, I'd stick with Comcast.

Reaction Score
I just canceled directv actually and got comcast. I was paying 120 a month for TV plus about 75 a month for Internet. Signed a triple play deal with guaranteed rates for 2 years through comcast and I'm saving 50 a month. When I called to cancel directv they didn't even try to retain me. I think after att bought them they haven't been working as well with the customer in trying to get them better deals. I'm not saying comcast is better, but after 2 years I'll go back to directv with the deal they offer to new people.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I feel your pain man but it's not specific to Comcast. Frontier and others all raise prices significantly after promo periods are up. They're both sensitive about losing video subscribers these days and are more willing to work with you. My advice to people is to call in 45 days or so before the promo period ends and renegotiate. From being in the industry a while now, I've learned the video portion is expensive for the providers, they make significantly higher profits on the Internet and phone portions because they don't have to pay exorbitant fees to anyone like they do with video rights.
Comcast plain won't have YES. Not a matter of cost. I asked them what sort of discount they'd give based on the change in service and the answer was zero.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I just canceled directv actually and got comcast. I was paying 120 a month for TV plus about 75 a month for Internet. Signed a triple play deal with guaranteed rates for 2 years through comcast and I'm saving 50 a month. When I called to cancel directv they didn't even try to retain me. I think after att bought them they haven't been working as well with the customer in trying to get them better deals. I'm not saying comcast is better, but after 2 years I'll go back to directv with the deal they offer to new people.
That's great so long as they carry the lineup you want. They did for me until they and YES fell out.

Reaction Score
I don't really care who the bad guy is; they're both shady. I just want to watch the Yankees. If Comcast cannot do that for me, I'll find someone else who can.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I've had DirecTV for about 20 years now and other than the afore mentioned cost, there is nothing bad about it. Tons of channels. Tons of sports. Lots of on demand content (assuming you have a good Internet connection). The picture is solid. I'm currently planning to upgrade to their Genie.

Other than the cost, the only other down side is 'rain fade' where you will lose the picture when you have very heavy rain/snow. It happens to me about 5 minutes a year. so not that big a deal but something you should know because it tends to happen at the worst times - I missed the 64 foot three point shot live.

There have been other threads through the years asking this and my statement is always the same - I don't know how any serious sports fan would have anything else.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I've had DirecTV for about 20 years now and other than the afore mentioned cost, there is nothing bad about it. Tons of channels. Tons of sports. Lots of on demand content (assuming you have a good Internet connection). The picture is solid. I'm currently planning to upgrade to their Genie.

Other than the cost, the only other down side is 'rain fade' where you will lose the picture when you have very heavy rain/snow. It happens to me about 5 minutes a year. so not that big a deal but something you should know because it tends to happen at the worst times - I missed the 64 foot three point shot live.

There have been other threads through the years asking this and my statement is always the same - I don't know how any serious sports fan would have anything else.
Whats the Internet connection issue for on demand. Is their on demand system comparable to the cable networks?

Reaction Score
That's great so long as they carry the lineup you want. They did for me until they and YES fell out.

That's true I guess. I'm a Yankees fan but live in indiana so that wasn't a big deal. I also got all the pay movie channels free for a year. Whole home dvr with 4 total boxes.

I was purely looking at cost, but the channels I get were about the same as what I had with directv. Also my cable won't go out because of rain or snow. Big plus right there.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I have it, with the Genie, along with NBA League Pass and NFL Ticket...so yeah, I spend a decent amount of time in front of the television.

Biggest Pro: Individual Sports Team packages. For the NBA League Pass, you can buy just access to one team for $100 for the season, which we do for the Charlotte Hornets of course. So @cohenzone I would assume you can do it with the Yankees as well, don't know the price though.

Biggest Con: Bad Weather, the signal goes out. I disagree about the 5 min per year though. It happens fairly often with a heavy rain or snow storm. Definitely break out Risk or Monopoly on occasion.

Reaction Score
Both bad guys. But I'm more interested in the Yankees than I am Comcast. I would like to see your list. I know between the Red Six series on NESN and their games vs. Mets on SNY there are 20 games plus whatever games might be on national. If the number is big enough, I'd stick with Comcast.
Here's the list starting tomorrow. I'm not trying to persuade you either way mind you, just sharing info. Appears the 50 included Spring Training, so more like 40 regular season games.

Sun, March 27

Minnesota

1:05pm

MLBN

Tue, March 29

Philly

MLBN

Thurs, March 31

St. Louis

MLBN

Mon, April 4

Houston

ESPN

Sun, April 10

Detroit

8:10pm

ESPN

Fri, April 29

Boston

7:10pm

NESN

Sat, April 30

Boston

MY9/WCTX

Sun, May 1

Boston

8:05pm

ESPN

Fri, May 6

Boston

7:05pm

NESN

Sat, May 7

Boston

NESN

Sun, May 8

Boston

ESPN

Sun, May 15

Chicago

1:00pm

MY9/WCTX

Fri, May 27

Tampa Bay

7:07pm

MY9/WCTX

Sat, May 28

Tampa Bay

4:10pm

MY9/WCTX

Sun, May 29

Tampa Bay

1:10pm

MY9/WCTX

Sat, June 4

Baltimore

7:15pm

FOX

Fri, June 10

Detroit

MY9/WCTX

Sat, June 11

Detroit

7:15pm

FOX

Fri, June 17

Minnesota

MY9/WCTX

Tues, June 21

Colorado

MY9/WCTX

Sat, June 25

Minnesota

MY9/WCTX

Fri, July 15

Boston

7:00pm

MY9/WCTX

Sat, July 16

Boston

4:05pm

FS1

Sun, July 17

Boston

ESPN

Fri, July 22

San Fran

MY9/WCTX

Sat, July 23

San Fran

4:05pm

FS1

Mon, July 25

Houston

8:10pm

MY9/WCTX

Sun, July 31

Tampa Bay

MY9/WCTX

Mon, Aug 1

NY Mets

SNY

Tues, Aug 2

NY Mets

SNY

Wed, Aug 3

NY Mets

SNY

Thurs, Aug 4

NY Mets

MY9/WCTX

Tues, Aug 9

Boston

NESN

Wed, Aug 10

Boston

NESN

Thurs, Aug 11

Boston

NESN

Sat, Aug 20

LA Angels

9:05pm

MY9/WCTX

Fri, Aug 26

Baltimore

MY9/WCTX

Sat, Sept 10

Tampa Bay

FOX

Thurs, Sept 15

Boston

NESN

Fri, Sept 16

Boston

MY9/WCTX

Sat, Sept 17

Boston

FOX

Sun, Sept 18

Boston

1:35pm

NESN

Thurs, Sept 22

Tampa Bay

MY9/WCTX

Sat, Sept 24

Toronto

1:07pm

MY9/WCTX

Tues, Sept 27

Boston

NESN

Wed, Sept 28

Boston

MY9/WCTX

Thurs, Sept 29

Boston

NESN

Reaction Score
Hate comcast can't wait to go back to Direct TV. Pay $265 month for 3 boxes only one with dvr capabilities and all channels. Direct TV was less expensive and offered me more in terms of sports. Never really had issues with satellite reception except for a few times a year in bad storms

They don't have Internet so you get that from another provider. Att Internet that is offered is inferior to comcast Internet

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Whats the Internet connection issue for on demand. Is their on demand system comparable to the cable networks?
It uses your Internet connection to record or play shows on demand. When I had 5Mb DSL, watching on demand live was impossible and it would take half a day to record a movie. When I switched to cable internet (TWC) that time went down to about an hour. I'm not sure how it compares to on demand for cable because I've never used anything else, but it has tons of content. I've binge watched Banshee, Ray Donovan, GOAT, etc. without any issues.

As for the 5 minutes of rain fade, I live in socal, not some god forsaken place where people talk of ice damns and roof rakes.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It uses your Internet connection to record or play shows on demand. When I had 5Mb DSL, watching on demand live was impossible and it would take half a day to record a movie. When I switched to cable internet (TWC) that time went down to about an hour. I'm not sure how it compares to on demand for cable because I've never used anything else, but it has tons of content. I've binge watched Banshee, Ray Donovan, GOAT, etc. without any issues.

As for the 5 minutes of rain fade, I live in socal, not some god forsaken place where people talk of ice damns and roof rakes.
I'm headed your way Weds to visit my son and family in LA. Last time we visited a few months ago, we were there when you were deluged. How was DirectTV then

Reaction Score
What about the Huskies early games later this year, will they be on Comcast? But a question, who wants the angst of whether you will get Yankee games if you are a fan of the team? This dance that they do every year is tiring, Comcast has basically had a monopoly because people don't like to change. It's too much trouble, they don't want the aggravation. But if Comcast loses enough customers they will come up with something to compete and get them back. If better internet at a savings comes to my area I will drop Comcast on that too.

Reaction Score
What about the Huskies early games later this year, will they be on Comcast? But a question, who wants the angst of whether you will get Yankee games if you are a fan of the team? This dance that they do every year is tiring, Comcast has basically had a monopoly because people don't like to change. It's too much trouble, they don't want the aggravation. But if Comcast loses enough customers they will come up with something to compete and get them back. If better internet at a savings comes to my area I will drop Comcast on that too.

Follow up for direct TV people but just need clarification, UConn games on CBSSN, SNY, or ESPNU are all on Direct TV, correct?

Reaction Score
Won't Yankee games on MLBN be blacked out? Same with ESPN Monday/Wednesday night games. I think you'll still get the occasional MY 9 broadcast in addition to the Sox and Met series's

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I am dropping Comcast and will find the best package of Frontier for internet/tel. Comcast has become very arrogant. I got a virus despite having Norton with their internet. Also going to Direct TV.
When I asked Comcast if they could download a malware package they said they would help me for a fee. I got bounced back and forth between Norton and Comcast up three management levels. I finally got disgusted and filed a complaint with the PUC. I got a free Malware program the next day. What really ticked me off were some of the clowns they put on the phone with me. Comcast tried to say that just because they offered free Norton service did not give me a right to demand that they (Comcast the principal) or Norton (the agent) had to protect me from viruses. I said you might think that it was implied since you bragged about the service you were "offering". Anyway the PUC worked.
What further aggravated me was the offers they send me for a small online business I have offering fantastic savings for an introductory two years. When I called them on it they reneged "because I was already a customer". I think I have to begin "playing the game" which means changing provider every two years and taking advantage of the new subscriber offers. Otherwise they just continue to escalate prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom