OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't! | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
For the next person who complains about hijacking a Boneyard Thread, I just like to point out the great enclosed baseball history lessons in a thread that was supposed to be about Diamond DeShields. Carry on!
Yes, BUT Deshield's father played for the Dodgers!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes, BUT Deshield's father played for the Dodgers!

DeShield's entire playing career (per Wikipedia):
DeShields became the regular second baseman for the Montreal Expos in 1990, finishing in second place for the NL Rookie of the Year award. He suffered from a sophomore slump in 1991, but went on to post his two best years in 1992 and 1993, hitting .294 and averaging 45 stolen bases.

On November 19, 1993, DeShields was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers for then-prospect Pedro Martínez. In retrospect, this is considered one of the worst trades in Dodgers history.[2] DeShields hit a mediocre .241 during his three years in Los Angeles, while Martinez went on to win three Cy Young Awards and established himself amongst the greatest pitchers of all time.

In 1996, DeShields signed as a free agent with the St. Louis Cardinals, and later played with the Baltimore Orioles and Chicago Cubs. In 2001, he was the last out in Hideo Nomo's no-hitter against the Baltimore Orioles.

Carnac

Reaction Score
When the Dodgers moved to L.A. after the 1957 season, they were only the second professional sports franchise to to call Los Angeles home at the time.

After winning the 1945 NFL Championship Game, the Cleveland franchise moved to Los Angeles, California, in 1946. The Rams played their home games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (completed in 1932 for the '32 Olympics) for 33 years before moving into a reconstructed Anaheim Stadium (home of the California Angels) in nearby Anaheim in 1979. Oddly enough, they have returned to that same L.A. Coliseum this year for 3 years, until their new stadium is built in Inglewood, right next to the Fabulous Forum, on the site of the old Hollywood Park race track.

The Lakers did not arrive in L.A. from Minneapolis until 1960. They played in the brand new (completed in 1959) "Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena" , until they moved to the "fabulous forum" in 1967.
They moved to their current home, The Staples Center (downtown L.A.) in 1999 along with the Los Angeles Clippers, as well as the NHL's Los Angeles Kings. The WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks joined in 2001.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
When the Dodgers moved to L.A. after the 1957 season, they were only the second professional sports franchise to to call Los Angeles home at the time.

After winning the 1945 NFL Championship Game, the Cleveland franchise moved to Los Angeles, California, in 1946. The Rams played their home games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (completed in 1932 for the '32 Olympics) for 33 years before moving into a reconstructed Anaheim Stadium (home of the California Angels) in nearby Anaheim in 1979. Oddly enough, they have returned to that same L.A. Coliseum this year for 3 years, until their new stadium is built in Inglewood, right next to the Fabulous Forum, on the site of the old Hollywood Park race track.

The Lakers did not arrive in L.A. from Minneapolis until 1960. They played in the brand new (completed in 1959) "Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena" , until they moved to the "fabulous forum" in 1967.
They moved to their current home, The Staples Center (downtown L.A.) in 1999 along with the Los Angeles Clippers, as well as the NHL's Los Angeles Kings. The WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks joined in 2001.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Don't forget the Angels. They played at the old Wrigley Field in Los Angeles in 1961. Then they played in Dodger Stadium for 4 years until their own park was built in Anaheim.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Don't forget the Angels. They played at the old Wrigley Field in Los Angeles in 1961. Then they played in Dodger Stadium for 4 years until their own park was built in Anaheim.

They have, for the most part, been quite forgettable though. Can't even make up their minds about their name: Los Angeles Angels, Anaheim Angels, California Angels, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Just who are those guys?

Carnac

Reaction Score

You are absolutely correct. How could I forget about the Angeles? Leon Wagner (Daddy Wags), Albie Pierson & Ryne Duran. I lived within 2 miles of Wrigley Field in 1961, and attended several games that year. I also got to play in a youth baseball league for two years in Wrigley before it was torn down.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of her answers depend on how she was interviewed. If she was asked a lot of questions with the word "you" in them, then she had to answer with the word: "I."
I know she has shown cockiness in the past, but I would rather have a player on my team like that, instead of one who is more withdrawn and has doubts about herself.
It will be interesting to see what happens.

Nan took me to task--in an aside--over saying Diamond DeShields had a Extreme ego, in that she used sentences with lots of me and not us.
The thing is ---Geno likes ego centric/huge Ego players who can be coached. To mention 2 Svetlana Abrasoma and Diana--who at times had some media words for Geno and who at times failed to do as told. Geno likes player with ego/confidence--Stewie, I won't call ego centric, but she had high degrees of confidence in her shot--
What some see as a negative maybe a big plus on the BB floor, no second guessing yourself, there is a lot to be said for that.
What some see as a negative under the right conditions are a huge positive.
Have you seen a player with more "cockyness " than Tuarazi (DT)????
I suppose it depends on whose oxen is being gored, or whose team that ox is on!!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
There are so many great anecdotes re the wackiness of Dodger faithful. One that has stuck in my mind, but which a search just now on line failed to find, is this. In a crucial game, the manager (can't remember if it was ol' Case or not) sent Babe Phelps up to pinch hit in an early inning with the bases loaded, and Phelps responded with a grand slam. Later in the game, another critical situation arose, and a leather lung in the stands yelled; "Yeah, ya bum, whydja wast Phelps before? NOW is when we need him!"

Reaction Score
Nan took me to task--in an aside--over saying Diamond DeShields had a Extreme ego, in that she used sentences with lots of me and not us.
The thing is ---Geno likes ego centric/huge Ego players who can be coached. To mention 2 Svetlana Abrasoma and Diana--who at times had some media words for Geno and who at times failed to do as told. Geno likes player with ego/confidence--Stewie, I won't call ego centric, but she had high degrees of confidence in her shot--
What some see as a negative maybe a big plus on the BB floor, no second guessing yourself, there is a lot to be said for that.
I suppose it depends on whose oxen is being gored, or whose team that ox is on!!
Svetlana & Diana put their money where their mouths were. What has DD done or won to merit such swagger?

Reaction Score
Svetlana & Diana put their money where their mouths were. What has DD done or won to merit such swagger?

The subject was ---Ego/Confidence--and as such, where in the Book OF Human Personalities and Actions does it say; One must have the assets, talent, and abilities to have Confidence, Ego, self belief. Obviously she had parents and coaches and extended family that told her loudly and often she was special. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT. Th

I'm not saying you don't have the right to your OPINION--you have. Do you have the right to dislike DD. Certainly.
The acceptance of a Kid 17 to 22 who thinks they are pretty good-- isn't a sin and her ego says to me someone did something right. She'll find out soon enough that she is either really good or someone , probably many, will let her know the truth..But a Uconn Fan should not be the first...we respect our opponents.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the previous reply--that I could not edit--
I said; Nothing I wrote was intended to insult or demean you--it was just as your comment was--and OPINION.
You have feelings of DD that I had a year ago--but I have long since changed my views--especially when I think of DT--my goodness was she cocky and had a huge EGO--still has. I have not followed DD at U tenn, for obvious reason. So whether she back up her strut or not--I don't know, nor do I care. I just know Ego isn't a negative thing. I wish I had it at her age, or the talent to back it up..

Reaction Score
In the previous reply--that I could not edit--
I said; Nothing I wrote was intended to insult or demean you--it was just as your comment was--and OPINION.
You have feelings of DD that I had a year ago--but I have long since changed my views--especially when I think of DT--my goodness was she cocky and had a huge EGO--still has. I have not followed DD at U tenn, for obvious reason. So whether she back up her strut or not--I don't know, nor do I care. I just know Ego isn't a negative thing. I wish I had it at her age, or the talent to back it up..

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There are so many great anecdotes re the wackiness of Dodger faithful. One that has stuck in my mind, but which a search just now on line failed to find, is this. In a crucial game, the manager (can't remember if it was ol' Case or not) sent Babe Phelps up to pinch hit in an early inning with the bases loaded, and Phelps responded with a grand slam. Later in the game, another critical situation arose, and a leather lung in the stands yelled; "Yeah, ya bum, whydja wast Phelps before? NOW is when we need him!"
Only, and I say, ONLY in Brooklyn. I once saw someone approach a spawled out, barely concious homeless man and ask him for directions. My home.

Reaction Score
Only, and I say, ONLY in Brooklyn. I once saw someone approach a spawled out, barely concious homeless man and ask him for directions. My home.
Why did a sprawled out homeless man in Brooklyn want with directions to your home?? Was he taking a road trip???

Reaction Score

Having a large ego and tons of self-confidence is quite different from being self-absorbed. Taurasi and Abrosimova were and are filled with self-confidence but they never considered themselves above their teammates or coaches. I've watched a lot of Tenn basketball and DeShields is not only self-absorbed but acts in a superior manner with her team. I've seen several post game pressers after a loss where she sat at the dais with an elbow on the table, her head in her hand and her eyes rolling skyward, looking exactly like an adolescent sitting outside the principal's office with an expression of boredom on her face. Diana and Svet would argue with Geno, even yell. DeShields looks like she couldn't care less about what anyone says to her. Or at least that's what her body language suggests.

Swagger is fine if you back it up. DeShields' swagger is based on her play as a 13 year old and she's been living on that rep since.

Reaction Score
Having a large ego and tons of self-confidence is quite different from being self-absorbed. Taurasi and Abrosimova were and are filled with self-confidence but they never considered themselves above their teammates or coaches. I've watched a lot of Tenn basketball and DeShields is not only self-absorbed but acts in a superior manner with her team. I've seen several post game pressers after a loss where she sat at the dais with an elbow on the table, her head in her hand and her eyes rolling skyward, looking exactly like an adolescent sitting outside the principal's office with an expression of boredom on her face. Diana and Svet would argue with Geno, even yell. DeShields looks like she couldn't care less about what anyone says to her. Or at least that's what her body language suggests.

Swagger is fine if you back it up. DeShields' swagger is based on her play as a 13 year old and she's been living on that rep since.

People express saddness and loss (even the loss by death) differently. Too many people are tried and some convicted because they did not meet the expectations of what others thought was the proper way to grieve. My son died and I giggled--don't know why--stupid-but that was grief.
The highlight portion above--sounds like most of my kids--its what at one time was call the Valley Girl expression. --none.

What is the difference in the definitions of : Ego (any size) and self absorb??

From my experience--most people of any success can be self absorbed and most have high ego. If you have not noticed the USA world of today --is self absorbed people who think of themselves first--if most spoke the truth, all think of them selves first --there are few Mother Theresa's walking the earth, unfortunately

At this point --I shall respectfully disagree --and as always accept that you are entitled to your opinion and I won't dispute that, ever. Since I shall never meet Diamond or have a personal relationship with her, I shall never know of her self absorbed personality--so why should I care??

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Why did a sprawled out homeless man in Brooklyn want with directions to your home?? Was he taking a road trip???
He was crawling out of my home just after a game of truth or dare. Believe it or not I lost.

Reaction Score
He was crawling out of my home just after a game of truth or dare. Believe it or not I lost.
Going back 20 years and then another 30 I walked and traveled Brooklyn, good ethnic eateries--I digress--I don't recall many sprawling on the sidewalks then---other cities (Boroughs) (did you know Naugatuck (was/is a Borough had more--now you can't find one Borough or city without sprawlers...

Reaction Score
Had this random thought the other day. Suppose the Sun win the lottery and get the first pick that now belongs to LA. Now suppose that Diamond declares for the draft and LA picks her. It would like putting two beta fish in the same bowl. Might be entertaining to sit back and watch the fireworks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak