OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the typical usage of 'volume shooter' is someone who averages a lot of points for their team (typically leads the team) but does so because the are shooting a disproportionate number of the teams shots and are not hitting those shots at a high percentage. Specific to DD here are some numbers from freshman and sophomore years:
UNC 2013-14: DD took 582 shots - 220 more than her nearest teammate and 24.3% of the teams shots while playing 13.5% of the minutes. She scored 18.0 points per game for 22.8% of the teams points and 4.1 more ppg than anyone else on the team. Her shooting percentages were: .426/.279 - while the team as a whole shot .444/.322. The other three players who scored in double figures were shooting: .481/.418, .472/.412, and .523/___ (Mavunga, their center) while taking 362, 301, and 308 shots. UNC as a team was scoring 1.11 points pre shot when DD shot, and 1.26 points when anyone else took the shot.

TN 2015-16: DD took 499 shots - 182 more shots than her nearest teammate and 22.7% of the teams shots while playing 13.3 % of the minutes. She scored 14.3 points per game for 21.8 % of the teams points and 4.0 more ppg than anyone else on the team. Her shooting percentages were: .391/.248 - while the team as a whole shot .408/.254. TN was offensively challenged as a whole and scored only minimally more points when someone other than DD shot, mostly because the second highest shooter was freshman Te'a Cooper who was shooting at .369/.260 worse than Diamond from two and only marginally better from three.

As an interesting comparison Maya Moore 'carried' her team as a senior and dominated the shooting but here are her stats:
Uconn 2010-11: MM took 636 shots - 253 more than her nearest teammate and 29.0% of the teams shots while playing 16.5% of the minutes. She scored 22.8 points per game for 29.8% of the teams points and 9.1 ppg more than anyone else on the team. Her shooting percentages were: .524/.384 - while the team as a whole shot .494/.357. The other three double figure scorers were shooting .436/.349, .468/.392, and .616/___ (Stef) while taking 383, 370, and 263 shots. Uconn as a team scored 1.36 points per shot when Maya shot and 1.31 points when anyone else shot.

So ... we speak of DD as a volume shooter because she dominated the team's shots and the scoring for her team, while being less efficient at scoring than the rest of the team, and we don't typically speak of MM as a volume shooter because while she too dominated the shooting and scoring for her senior year team, she did so with greater accuracy and more efficiently than the rest of the team.

My point for the exercise was twofold. Since I have my own version of Volume shooter that deviates little from your.
One of my points you made nicely in the Final paragraph---in that a Volume shooter shoots a lot of shots. It is good when they make most, are needed mostly by their team and then it is desired.

If they take a large amount of shots and miss most and the coach is not visually challenged they could end up not taking "volumes" of shot--i.e. sitting a lot. \

Angel McC at Louisville was called a Volume shooter--without data--it would appear she missed
more than her fair share--but to her credit she made shots that had impacts on the out comes of many games. I would say she followed that up in this year's Olympics.

My other point is of a personal nature--and within the Boneyard mystique. You satisfied both.
Thank you. I was however hoping the original poster would respond. We'll see.

Reaction Score
I think the typical usage of 'volume shooter' is someone who averages a lot of points for their team (typically leads the team) but does so because the are shooting a disproportionate number of the teams shots and are not hitting those shots at a high percentage. Specific to DD here are some numbers from freshman and sophomore years:
UNC 2013-14: DD took 582 shots - 220 more than her nearest teammate and 24.3% of the teams shots while playing 13.5% of the minutes. She scored 18.0 points per game for 22.8% of the teams points and 4.1 more ppg than anyone else on the team. Her shooting percentages were: .426/.279 - while the team as a whole shot .444/.322. The other three players who scored in double figures were shooting: .481/.418, .472/.412, and .523/___ (Mavunga, their center) while taking 362, 301, and 308 shots. UNC as a team was scoring 1.11 points pre shot when DD shot, and 1.26 points when anyone else took the shot.

TN 2015-16: DD took 499 shots - 182 more shots than her nearest teammate and 22.7% of the teams shots while playing 13.3 % of the minutes. She scored 14.3 points per game for 21.8 % of the teams points and 4.0 more ppg than anyone else on the team. Her shooting percentages were: .391/.248 - while the team as a whole shot .408/.254. TN was offensively challenged as a whole and scored only minimally more points when someone other than DD shot, mostly because the second highest shooter was freshman Te'a Cooper who was shooting at .369/.260 worse than Diamond from two and only marginally better from three.

As an interesting comparison Maya Moore 'carried' her team as a senior and dominated the shooting but here are her stats:
Uconn 2010-11: MM took 636 shots - 253 more than her nearest teammate and 29.0% of the teams shots while playing 16.5% of the minutes. She scored 22.8 points per game for 29.8% of the teams points and 9.1 ppg more than anyone else on the team. Her shooting percentages were: .524/.384 - while the team as a whole shot .494/.357. The other three double figure scorers were shooting .436/.349, .468/.392, and .616/___ (Stef) while taking 383, 370, and 263 shots. Uconn as a team scored 1.36 points per shot when Maya shot and 1.31 points when anyone else shot.

So ... we speak of DD as a volume shooter because she dominated the team's shots and the scoring for her team, while being less efficient at scoring than the rest of the team, and we don't typically speak of MM as a volume shooter because while she too dominated the shooting and scoring for her senior year team, she did so with greater accuracy and more efficiently than the rest of the team.

Thanks you--You covered my reason for asking the question. Thank you , you can always be counted on as a few others have, in providing specific data.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks you--You covered my reason for asking the question. Thank you , you can always be counted on as a few others have, in providing specific data.
OK. You have pushed me a little further with this and the previous post. I think anyone who scores 20+ points per game can be identified in a strict interpretation of the term as a 'volume shooter' - in order to score that many points you have to be taking more than your 'fair share' of your teams shots. But to use 'volume shooter' as a derogatory term for a player, you do have to look at shooting percentage relative to the team and relative to some standard norms as well. Someone who score that much and shoots less than say 45% overall, and if they shoot lots of threes shoots under say 35% even if that matches their teams performance in those areas are open to being chided for being 'volume shooters' So ... a few samples:

Sims in her senior year 2013-14: 28.5 ppg (34.1% of the teams), 811 shots representing 32.0% of the team total in 16.3% of the minutes - .446/.398 vs. team at .441/.336

Angel senior year 2008-9: 23.1 ppg (32.6%), 753 shots (32.5%), in 15.9% of minutes - .437/.307 vs. team at .427/.329

DT junior year 2002-03: 17.9 ppg (23.9%) 498 shots (23.0%) in 15.5 % of minutes - .476/.350 vs. team at .473/.361

Stewart senior year 2015-16: 19.4 ppg (22.0%) 473 shots (19.3%) in 14.2% of minutes - .579/.426 vs. team .530/.381

Jewell junior year 2014-15: 19.8 ppg ((24.8%) 614 shots (25.9%) in 16.0 % of minutes - .443/.308 vs. .492/.383

Tina NY 2016: 21.4 ppg (25.9%) 477 shots (26.3%) in 15.6% of minutes - .455/.313 vs team .441/.373 (NB 3 point shots represents 6.7% of total shots by Tina (32 shots))

EDD Chi 2015: 23.4 ppg (28.2%) 517 shots (21.6%) in 15.0% of minutes - .460/.313 vs team .446/.327

Maya MN 2014: 23.9 ppg (29.3%) 613 shots (26.8%) in 17.2 % of minutes - .481/.335 vs team .467/.338

DT Phoenix 2009: 20.4 ppg (22.0%) 434 shots (17.9) in 14.1 % of minutes - .461/.407 vs team .460/.386

The level of competition in the WNBA and specifically defense is more consistent than any college season so shooting percentages are likely to be affected. Position played and team style will have significant implications, as well as how many games played are actually competitive - Uconn in general plays fewer competitive games (2003 is an exception) than most college teams.

(That was fun!)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Turban---Envelope--Announcers don't watch games--once in a while they'll tell the score from 2 minutes ago--even when GOLD is the end result--they find things so far out in left field that one wonders where they are and what they are doing? Bob Percosie (sp?) with Megan spoke the game--and pulled Megan back into the game regularly--I can think of no others and it's frustrating. A foul is called --which team? Who? how many? Technical called--her mother sisters friend is going to DC next week--great stuff.

Bob Picozzi, methinks.

Made me grin and agree. Thanks. Nice post. Please also note that at the network level, producers meet with SID staff people before the game to develop "back stories." This part of the game prep is, or should be, merely ornamental. Broadcasters love to over-use this filler stuff; it makes it appear that they have done their homework.

Reaction Score
Bob Picozzi, methinks.

Made me grin and agree. Thanks. Nice post. Please also note that at the network level, producers meet with SID staff people before the game to develop "back stories." This part of the game prep is, or should be, merely ornamental. Broadcasters love to over-use this filler stuff; it makes it appear that they have done their homework.
Thanks for the grin and agreement. I loved Bob _P his style, diction, attention to the game and play by play was the best or among the best. I have little doubt he honed his patter as a radio announcer. I expect to spell some day--but there is no spell check for Picozzi--thank you.

Reaction Score
My point for the exercise was twofold. Since I have my own version of Volume shooter that deviates little from your.
One of my points you made nicely in the Final paragraph---in that a Volume shooter shoots a lot of shots. It is good when they make most, are needed mostly by their team and then it is desired.

If they take a large amount of shots and miss most and the coach is not visually challenged they could end up not taking "volumes" of shot--i.e. sitting a lot. \

Angel McC at Louisville was called a Volume shooter--without data--it would appear she missed
more than her fair share--but to her credit she made shots that had impacts on the out comes of many games. I would say she followed that up in this year's Olympics.

My other point is of a personal nature--and within the Boneyard mystique. You satisfied both.
Since Coco and Uc explained it to you in their post and I agreed with them. I didnt think I needed to respond to you with the same answers they gave. When people feel the need to say Im not looking for an argument. They usually are. I didnt see your post until after they responded. It seems like you knew the answers to your own questions but if you need to hear from me. Let me know Ill type a little slower!

Reaction Score
Since Coco and Uc explained it to you in their post and I agreed with them. I didnt think I needed to respond to you with the same answers they gave. When people feel the need to say Im not looking for an argument. They usually are. I didnt see your post until after they responded. It seems like you knew the answers to your own questions but if you need to hear from me. Let me know Ill type a little slower!

No-no argument. UC and Coco gave excellent answers that is true. Since I was responding to you, isn't it natural to expect you to be the one answering any questions asked?
Yes I had my own version of the answer to what is a Volume Shooter. I had reasons for asking and one of those reasons was very well answered by UCMiami and Coco--aren't they great??
The one thing that is great about the Boneyard--no matter how loudly or damningly someone demands that you respond---you don't have to respond.
Thanks for the response-not the one I expected but thanks anyway.

Reaction Score

I had lousy service at the hospital where I had been a patient since 4:15 Thursday morning.Just went home today and because I slept about 3 hours the whole time there. I am trying to catch up alittle bit. So that is why I didnt respond. Keeping my foot is my top priority right now!

Reaction Score
I had lousy service at the hospital where I had been a patient since 4:15 Thursday morning.Just went home today and because I slept about 3 hours the whole time there. I am trying to catch up alittle bit. So that is why I didnt respond. Keeping my foot is my top priority right now!
Hoping it goes well for you. You are very much in our thoughts....

Reaction Score
Sorry about the foot--body parts are your first priority---I have a hand and a leg---never mind---you take care of yourself --I can assure you nothing I posted to you was intended as an argument or insult and while some responses are nice to have it isn't a requirement. There are some poster I never respond to. Again take care --the Boneyard should be among your least / last priorities!!!!

Reaction Score
Bags, BroadWay and Rocky, Thank You, I appreciate it! Broadway, might hold you to that,LOL.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Turban---Envelope--Announcers don't watch games--once in a while they'll tell the score from 2 minutes ago--even when GOLD is the end result--they find things so far out in left field that one wonders where they are and what they are doing? Bob Percosie (sp?) with Megan spoke the game--and pulled Megan back into the game regularly--I can think of no others and it's frustrating. A foul is called --which team? Who? how many? Technical called--her mother sisters friend is going to DC next week--great stuff.

Broadway, living here (born here) on the west coast in beautiful and sunny "Southern California", has spoiled me rotten. Since the Dodgers moved here from Brooklyn in 1958, Angelinos have had the pleasure of listening to Hall of Fame broadcaster "Vincent Edward "Vin" Scully" call Dodgers games. No one calls a game like Vinnie!! As most of you know, Scully began calling Dodger games with the legendary (and his mentor) "Red Barber" and Connie Desmond back in 1950 in old Ebbetts Field in Brooklyn New York. The late Jerry Doggett was his broadcast partner when they moved here in 1958. Vinny has seen ALL of the greats. He can tell stories while calling the game, and not miss a beat. Scully can go back to the early 50's to tell a story about a player. No baseball broadcaster alive today can go back that far. Scully (who is 88) is in his 67th and final year with the Dodgers. Scully will be missed.

Until his un-timely death in August 5, 2002, We also had the pleasure of listening to the incomparable Hall of Fame broadcaster Francis Dayle Hearn. AKA "Chick Hearn" call Laker basketball games since March of 1961. The Lakers moved here in 1960 from Minneapolis, and play at the Los Angeles Sports Arena, before moving to the Forum ( in Inglewood, just north of the site where the Rams are building their new stadium) in 1967. For decades, we've had some of the best in the business calling sporting events here in the southland. We've been blessed. The Forum was the place to be during the "show-time" era. Most home games were sold out during this time. Needless to say the local scalpers did a brisk business on game nights.

The particular phrases that Chick used during his broadcasts were labeled "Chickisms". Many are staples of basketball. When a book of his memoirs was published in 2004, it included an audio CD with the calls as well as a Chick Hearn Rap-Around rap song created with the samples. Hearn had a very unique wit and sense of humor. Being a huge Laker fan at the time, I fondly remember everyone of these "Chickisms" . :rolleyes:

• 20 foot lay-up: A jump shot by Jamaal Wilkes.
  • Air-ball: An errant shot that fails to touch either the rim or the backboard.
  • (He sent that one back) Air-mail Special!: A strongly blocked shot, often sent high into the stands.
  • Bloooows the layup! : Missed a very easy layup.
  • Boo-birds: Fans who boo their own team when they play badly.
  • (He did the) bunny hop in the pea patch: He was called for traveling.
  • (You could) call it with Braille: An easy call for an official, e.g. a blatant foul.
  • (He got) caught with his hand in the cookie jar: A reaching foul.
  • (The) charity stripe: The free throw line.
  • (That player is in) civilians: The player is not in uniform.
  • (He's got 'em) covered like the rug on your floor: Really good one-on-one defense.
  • (They) couldn't beat the Sisters of Mercy: The team is getting beat badly.
  • (They) couldn't throw a pea into the ocean: The team's shooting is really awful.
  • (It'll) count if it goes ...: A player that is fouled in the act of shooting, or alternatively gets off a shot just before the buzzer sounded. It go-o-o-oes!: The shot is successful.
  • (That shot) didn't draw iron: A shot which misses the rim, but hits the backboard. Sometimes he would add but it drew a lot of flies.
  • Dime store score: A 10 to 5 score.
  • Dribble-drive: A player drives the basket while dribbling.
  • Finger roll: A shot where the ball rolls off the shooter's fingers.
  • (He) fly-swatted (that one): A shot blocked with force and authority.
  • Football score: A score resembling one often seen in a football game (e.g., 21-14).
  • (He threw up a) frozen rope: A shot with a very flat trajectory.
  • (We're) high above the western sideline: Chick's perch at the Forum, from which he called his "word's eye view" of the game.
  • Hippity-hops the dribble: A player dribbling the ball does a little hop step.
  • I'll bet you an ice cream: Hearn and Keith Erickson (his one-time color commentator) often bet ice creams on the outcome of a shot or game.
  • (He's got) ice-water in his veins: When a player hits a clutch free throw.
  • (It's) First and ten: Multiple players are sprawled on the floor after a physical play or diving for the ball.
  • (It's) garbage time: The (often sloppily played) final minutes when reserve players get a chance to play in a game that's out of reach (after it is in the refrigerator).
  • Give and Go: A player passes the ball, makes a quick cut, and receives a return pass.
  • (In & out,) heart-brrrreak!: A shot that appears to go in, but rattles off the rim and misses. Sometimes it went in so far you could read the Commissioner's name from below.
  • He has two chances, slim and none, and slim just left the building: The player has no chance of success with this play.
  • If that goes in, I'm walking home: Similar to a prayer, when the opponent shoots a shot that is a prayer, a streak, or some amazing shot. (Usually on the road)
  • Leapin' Lena: A shot made while the player is in the air and off balance.
When you heard Chick call a game, it was almost like being there. Nobody called a game like Chick. Not before, or since, HE was the best!!! :rolleyes:

BOTH of these gentlemen have streets named after them near the site of each team's venue.

Reaction Score
Broadway, living here (born here) on the west coast in beautiful and sunny "Southern California", has spoiled me rotten. Since the Dodgers moved here from Brooklyn in 1958, Angelinos have had the pleasure of listening to Hall of Fame broadcaster "Vincent Edward "Vin" Scully" call Dodgers games. No one calls a game like Vinnie!! As most of you know, Scully began calling Dodger games with the legendary (and his mentor) "Red Barber" and Connie Desmond back in 1950 in old Ebbetts Field in Brooklyn New York. The late Jerry Doggett was his broadcast partner when they moved here in 1958. Vinny has seen ALL of the greats. He can tell stories while calling the game, and not miss a beat. Scully can go back to the early 50's to tell a story about a player. No baseball broadcaster alive today can go back that far. Scully (who is 88) is in his 67th and final year with the Dodgers. Scully will be missed.

Until his un-timely death in August 5, 2002, We also had the pleasure of listening to the incomparable Hall of Fame broadcaster Francis Dayle Hearn. AKA "Chick Hearn" call Laker basketball games since March of 1961. The Lakers moved here in 1960 from Minneapolis, and play at the Los Angeles Sports Arena, before moving to the Forum ( in Inglewood, just north of the site where the Rams are building their new stadium) in 1967. For decades, we've had some of the best in the business calling sporting events here in the southland. We've been blessed. The Forum was the place to be during the "show-time" era. Most home games were sold out during this time. Needless to say the local scalpers did a brisk business on game nights.

The particular phrases that Chick used during his broadcasts were labeled "Chickisms". Many are staples of basketball. When a book of his memoirs was published in 2004, it included an audio CD with the calls as well as a Chick Hearn Rap-Around rap song created with the samples. Hearn had a very unique wit and sense of humor. Being a huge Laker fan at the time, I fondly remember everyone of these "Chickisms" . :rolleyes:

• 20 foot lay-up: A jump shot by Jamaal Wilkes.
  • Air-ball: An errant shot that fails to touch either the rim or the backboard.
  • (He sent that one back) Air-mail Special!: A strongly blocked shot, often sent high into the stands.
  • Bloooows the layup! : Missed a very easy layup.
  • Boo-birds: Fans who boo their own team when they play badly.
  • (He did the) bunny hop in the pea patch: He was called for traveling.
  • (You could) call it with Braille: An easy call for an official, e.g. a blatant foul.
  • (He got) caught with his hand in the cookie jar: A reaching foul.
  • (The) charity stripe: The free throw line.
  • (That player is in) civilians: The player is not in uniform.
  • (He's got 'em) covered like the rug on your floor: Really good one-on-one defense.
  • (They) couldn't beat the Sisters of Mercy: The team is getting beat badly.
  • (They) couldn't throw a pea into the ocean: The team's shooting is really awful.
  • (It'll) count if it goes ...: A player that is fouled in the act of shooting, or alternatively gets off a shot just before the buzzer sounded. It go-o-o-oes!: The shot is successful.
  • (That shot) didn't draw iron: A shot which misses the rim, but hits the backboard. Sometimes he would add but it drew a lot of flies.
  • Dime store score: A 10 to 5 score.
  • Dribble-drive: A player drives the basket while dribbling.
  • Finger roll: A shot where the ball rolls off the shooter's fingers.
  • (He) fly-swatted (that one): A shot blocked with force and authority.
  • Football score: A score resembling one often seen in a football game (e.g., 21-14).
  • (He threw up a) frozen rope: A shot with a very flat trajectory.
  • (We're) high above the western sideline: Chick's perch at the Forum, from which he called his "word's eye view" of the game.
  • Hippity-hops the dribble: A player dribbling the ball does a little hop step.
  • I'll bet you an ice cream: Hearn and Keith Erickson (his one-time color commentator) often bet ice creams on the outcome of a shot or game.
  • (He's got) ice-water in his veins: When a player hits a clutch free throw.
  • (It's) First and ten: Multiple players are sprawled on the floor after a physical play or diving for the ball.
  • (It's) garbage time: The (often sloppily played) final minutes when reserve players get a chance to play in a game that's out of reach (after it is in the refrigerator).
  • Give and Go: A player passes the ball, makes a quick cut, and receives a return pass.
  • (In & out,) heart-brrrreak!: A shot that appears to go in, but rattles off the rim and misses. Sometimes it went in so far you could read the Commissioner's name from below.
  • He has two chances, slim and none, and slim just left the building: The player has no chance of success with this play.
  • If that goes in, I'm walking home: Similar to a prayer, when the opponent shoots a shot that is a prayer, a streak, or some amazing shot. (Usually on the road)
  • Leapin' Lena: A shot made while the player is in the air and off balance.
When you heard Chick call a game, it was almost like being there. Nobody called a game like Chick. Not before, or since, HE was the best!!! :rolleyes:

BOTH of these gentlemen have streets named after them near the site of each team's venue.
BTV --for the acronym lover--to you Before TV--and when BB meant baseball--even on the east coast there were a few good announcers --I'm sure others have borrowed from your Fav's list of ism's because, thou gh I lived only for a couple of years in the san hosey (San Jose) area--I didn't follow the team once call lovingly "The Bums" or the NY Giant --both were aligned with the New London native Benedict Arnold. But I digress

My comment about Announcers is more current a nd pointed mostly at ESPN, CBS Sn, NBC-Sn who follow Women's and Mens BB (that in this case is Basketball). The rare exception was Bob Picozzi (sp?) who covered Megan Pattyson on CPTV and I loved it, when I could still hear. Now they can mumble and it all sounds the same---but the poor guy writing Captions has to make up his/her own words to fill in the mumbles. At times the best of the shows is the captions--probably no relation to the show at all.

Carnac

Reaction Score
BTV --for the acronym lover--to you Before TV--and when BB meant baseball--even on the east coast there were a few good announcers --I'm sure others have borrowed from your Fav's list of ism's because, thou gh I lived only for a couple of years in the san hosey (San Jose) area--I didn't follow the team once call lovingly "The Bums" or the NY Giant --both were aligned with the New London native Benedict Arnold. But I digress

My comment about Announcers is more current a nd pointed mostly at ESPN, CBS Sn, NBC-Sn who follow Women's and Mens BB (that in this case is Basketball). The rare exception was Bob Picozzi (sp?) who covered Megan Pattyson on CPTV and I loved it, when I could still hear. Now they can mumble and it all sounds the same---but the poor guy writing Captions has to make up his/her own words to fill in the mumbles. At times the best of the shows is the captions--probably no relation to the show at all.

C'mon Broadway, You know when the Dodgers left for the west coast in 1958, there were no other MLB teams west of St. Louis. The Dodgers had to have another team (a partner) move out west with them. An offer was made to the Dodgers and Giants they could not refuse. The mayor of Los Angeles at the time, Norris Poulson (with the blessing of the City Council), gave then Dodger owner Walter O'Malley the land that Dodger Stadium now sets on for $1.00 (One Dollar). (After all, the west coast was fertile unclaimed land available for the taking). Los Angels wanted a team real bad, and saw this as a "win-win". O'Malley built Dodger Stadium with his own money. All of the people that were living in what was then called "Chavez Ravine" (where Dodger Stadium now sets), were forced to move through eminent domain proceedings. They got screwed, but it was just business.

No true sports fan wants to lose their "home team" to another city. We (Los Angeles area) lost the Rams twice. once from Los Angeles, then again from Anaheim (a suburb of L.A. The home of the happiest place on earth, Disneyland). I'll use a phrase here that has become popular when somebody (a player gets cut/or fined, a team moves to another city) gets screwed........"It's just business". :confused: I understood the direction your comment was aimed, but I just felt like writing today, and got carried away. That happens sometimes. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
C'mon Broadway, You know when the Dodgers left for the west coast in 1958, there were no other MLB teams west of St. Louis. The Dodgers had to have another team (a partner) move out west with them. An offer was made to the Dodgers and Giants they could not refuse. The mayor of Los Angeles at the time, Norris Poulson (with the blessing of the City Council), gave then Dodger owner Walter O'Malley the land that Dodger Stadium now sets on for $1.00 (One Dollar). (After all, the west coast was fertile unclaimed land available for the taking). Los Angels wanted a team real bad, and saw this as a "win-win". O'Malley built Dodger Stadium with his own money. All of the people that were living in what was then called "Chavez Ravine" (where Dodger Stadium now sets), were forced to move through eminent domain proceedings. They got screwed, but it was just business.

No true sports fan wants to lose their "home team" to another city. We (Los Angeles area) lost the Rams twice. once from Los Angeles, then again from Anaheim (a suburb of L.A. The home of the happiest place on earth, Disneyland). I'll use a phrase here that has become popular when somebody (a player gets cut/or fined, a team moves to another city) gets screwed..."It's just business". :confused: I understood the direction your comment was aimed, but I just felt like writing today, and got carried away. That happens sometimes. :rolleyes:

You just got to me--and got me going--. I'm a displaced (many times) Connecticut born and bred kid. My wife and family live on the fringe of Brooklyn, where she was born, went to school in Middle Village (home of Christ the King) they are/were dyed in the wool (what ever that means) Bum's fans. The only team other than the Bum's that my wife followed is --UConn and recently UConn WBB. So I got the Traitor argument a lot of times.

Imminent Domain supposedly is used to take property for the "great er good" (supposedly roads, military, etc) not for pet projects or to fill some developers (New London) coffers. I stop this could get nasty..

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
You just got to me--and got me going--. I'm a displaced (many times) Connecticut born and bred kid. My wife and family live on the fringe of Brooklyn, where she was born, went to school in Middle Village (home of Christ the King) they are/were dyed in the wool (what ever that means) Bum's fans. The only team other than the Bum's that my wife followed is --UConn and recently UConn WBB. So I got the Traitor argument a lot of times.

Imminent Domain supposedly is used to take property for the "great er good" (supposedly roads, military, etc) not for pet projects or to fill some developers (New London) coffers. I stop this could get nasty..

This is true!! Poulson was scandalous. But it got worst. He was followed by a bigger crook Sam Yorty, the 37th Mayor of Los Angeles from 1961 to 1973. The colorful “Mayor Sam” earned numerous nicknames from both admirers and detractors, such as Travelin’ Sam, Airplane Sam, Shoot-From-the-Lip Sam, the Maverick Mayor, Mad Sam Yorty, Scrappy Sam, Suitcase Sam, Saigon Sam, and the Reform Republican. Yorty was scandalous, and made little effort to hide it. He had the backing of the powerful/wealthy/business folk, and thus felt untouchable.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few" ~ Mr. Spock (Star Trek). This was obviously Poulson's thought process when offering that deal to O'Malley (for the greater good of the city). Poulson was vilified by many L.A. citizens after that. Most of the people displaced by this deal were poor working folks. Poulson (and his successor, Sam Yorty) were a crooked as Lombard Street in San Francisco. :confused:

Reaction Score
This is true!! Poulson was scandalous. But it got worst. He was followed by a bigger crook Sam Yorty, the 37th Mayor of Los Angeles from 1961 to 1973. The colorful “Mayor Sam” earned numerous nicknames from both admirers and detractors, such as Travelin’ Sam, Airplane Sam, Shoot-From-the-Lip Sam, the Maverick Mayor, Mad Sam Yorty, Scrappy Sam, Suitcase Sam, Saigon Sam, and the Reform Republican. Yorty was scandalous, and made little effort to hide it. He had the backing of the powerful/wealthy/business folk, and thus felt untouchable.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few" ~ Mr. Spock (Star Trek). This was obviously Poulson's thought process when offering that deal to O'Malley (for the greater good of the city). Poulson was vilified by many L.A. citizens after that. Most of the people displaced by this deal were poor working folks. Poulson (and his successor, Sam Yorty) were a crooked as Lombard Street in San Francisco. :confused:

That goes without saying! If they tried to take my property, I'd tie they up in litigation for years. Life for the poor is a bit better in that their access to attorneys willing to support them --on contingency- has increased.
I've been poor and the other way--I worked so much harder before.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I feel a thread relabeling or locking (to end mislabeling strictly that - wax on about DD forever for all I care) is appropriate. My suggestion to keep it open: "Whatever" in honor of Bea Arthur.

Reaction Score
I feel a thread relabeling or locking (to end mislabeling strictly that - wax on about DD forever for all I care) is appropriate. My suggestion to keep it open: "Whatever" in honor of Bea Arthur.
I defer to your comment and apologize to all---got lost in comments is my only excuse. There are few if any WBB
College players that I dis respect --including DD--as I was told last fall---Jeez, she's just a kid.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I defer to your comment and apologize to all---got lost in comments is my only excuse. There are few if any WBB
College players that I dis respect --including DD--as I was told last fall---Jeez, she's just a kid.

Don't apologize to me. My post had nothing to do with your lucid, entertaining in a way post (New London domain farce!) but the fact the thread has (thankfully) abandoned the topic - a bunch of wind 'til she lives up to something.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

No true sports fan wants to lose their "home team" to another city. We (Los Angeles area) lost the Rams twice. once from Los Angeles, then again from Anaheim (a suburb of L.A. The home of the happiest place on earth, Disneyland). I'll use a phrase here that has become popular when somebody (a player gets cut/or fined, a team moves to another city) gets screwed..."It's just business". :confused: I understood the direction your comment was aimed, but I just felt like writing today, and got carried away. That happens sometimes. :rolleyes:
As a born and bred Brooklynite losing the Dodgers to the left was devastating to the entire Brooklyn community which never really recovered. Whenever anyone brings up their betrayal my blood just boils. Yeah, teams move and owners (and players) nowadays show little to no loyalty to communities. But the Dodgers move was never because they were a money losing franchise. On the contrary, they just wanted to make more. O'Malley wanted a new stadium, and when the city seemed to drag its feet and then offered Queens as a site he simply packed his bags. Good riddance. I have a good time now watching the Dodgers lose. I enjoy how they've gotten the Puig and the "come late, leave early" fans they deserve. I especially enjoyed watching the Mets crush them in 5 last year. After all these years I still wish them nothing but the worst. Hold a grudge long? Not me.

Carnac

Reaction Score
As a born and bred Brooklynite losing the Dodgers to the left was devastating to the entire Brooklyn community which never really recovered. Whenever anyone brings up their betrayal my blood just boils. Yeah, teams move and owners (and players) nowadays show little to no loyalty to communities. But the Dodgers move was never because they were a money losing franchise. On the contrary, they just wanted to make more. O'Malley wanted a new stadium, and when the city seemed to drag its feet and then offered Queens as a site he simply packed his bags. Good riddance. I have a good time now watching the Dodgers lose. I enjoy how they've gotten the Puig and the "come late, leave early" fans they deserve. I especially enjoyed watching the Mets crush them in 5 last year. After all these years I still wish them nothing but the worst. Hold a grudge long? Not me.

C'mon Jordy, let it go. It's been 58 years since O'Malley pulled up stakes and headed west. Most the people that were involved with the Dodger organization in 1957 are dead, and none of them are still affiliated with the team. Peter O'Malley sold the Dodgers to Rupert Murdock in 1998. Vin Scully is the only person that was working for the Dodgers in 1957 that's still here. I know you don't hate Vinny, do you?

The Dodgers sucked for many years after coming to L.A. believe me. They broke my heart many-a-time., starting in 1962.All they had to do was win 1 lousy game against the St. Louis Cardinals during the last 3 games (at home) of the year. They lost all 3 forcing a 1 game playoff against the Giants which they lost.

The Dodgers are now owned by a group of business men including former Laker great Magic Johnson. You don't hate Magic do you? He was not even alive when the Dodgers left town in 1957. C'mon Jordy, You're better than that. Let it go. Life is too short too hate and hold grudges. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My In-Laws, wife, and relative if they are any near what the rest of the Brooklyn area (larger than Brooklyn) is common--it is not a subject I now will every approach in their company--this long after...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
C'mon Jordy, let it go. It's been 58 years since O'Malley pulled up stakes and headed west. Most the people that were involved with the Dodger organization in 1957 are dead, and none of them are still affiliated with the team. Peter O'Malley sold the Dodgers to Rupert Murdock in 1998. Vin Scully is the only person that was working for the Dodgers in 1957 that's still here. I know you don't hate Vinny, do you?

The Dodgers sucked for many years after coming to L.A. believe me. They broke my heart many-a-time., starting in 1962.All they had to do was win 1 lousy game against the St. Louis Cardinals during the last 3 games (at home) of the year. They lost all 3 forcing a 1 game playoff against the Giants which they lost.

The Dodgers are now owned by a group of business men including former Laker great Magic Johnson. You don't hate Magic do you? He was not even alive when the Dodgers left town in 1957. C'mon Jordy, You're better than that. Let it go. Life is too short too hate and hold grudges. :)

58 years is a long time to hold a grudge.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32