OT: DeMarcus Cousins makes the Kings nix Chinese NY shirts | The Boneyard

OT: DeMarcus Cousins makes the Kings nix Chinese NY shirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I still can't fathom this one. It is the lunar new year next week. This year is the year of the Monkey. Sacramento/CA has a significant asian population. The Kings wish to pay homage to their asian fans and celebrate the new year with them by creating a new year shirt giveaway.

Cousins took offense to the image of the monkey in the month of February (Black History Month). This might be one of the worst connect-the-dots associations I've ever seen. On a side note, all of the monkeys at the Sacramento zoo were also euthanized to appease Cousins. TIC. Kinda.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...ns-has-kings-remove-year-of-the-monkey-shirts
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...ns-has-kings-remove-year-of-the-monkey-shirts

Reaction Score
Weird. It's like he's calling the Asian fans racist on the basis of the Chinese zodiac.

Reaction Score
Cousins is emotionally unstable and extremely egotistical. Not only judging from his antics, but I've met him. Volatile and arrogant

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Cousins was just the guy to get the ball rolling and the Kings decided organizationally to remove the t-shirts. Not sure the headline "Cousins makes Kings..." is particularly accurate.

I don't think it's that outrageous. Clearly there were no ill-intentions, but it's something black people are sensitive to and if Cousins thought it could be perceived the wrong way, I'm not going to blame him.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Cousins was just the guy to get the ball rolling and the Kings decided organizationally to remove the t-shirts. Not sure the headline "Cousins makes Kings..." is particularly accurate.

I don't think it's that outrageous. Clearly there were no ill-intentions, but it's something black people are sensitive to and if Cousins thought it could be perceived the wrong way, I'm not going to blame him.
Black people are sensitive to pictures of monkeys in February. Yikes, okay.

Keep in mind, this was basically a done deal. The shirts were printed and on the seats. Cousins singlehandedly triggered this.

Reaction Score
Black people are sensitive to pictures of monkeys in February. Yikes, okay.

Keep in mind, this was basically a done deal. The shirts were printed and on the seats. Cousins singlehandedly triggered this.

It was the first day of black history month. Monkeys have been used as a symbol to degrade blacks for years and years. I wouldn't have made the connection, and it would suck to plan all this and have it overturned last minute because of the objections of a small minority.

But the Kings are trying to accommodate a large audience. If DeMarcus Cousins and only DeMarcus Cousins was offended by this, maybe he's the problem. That's not the case, though.

Reaction Score
Not in the states but over in Europe soccer crowds make monkey noises and throw banana peels on the pitch at soccer games to irritate african players . Having said that I think cousins should have just let this go and not demand it be removed ; makes him look petty seeing as there is no ill intent .

Reaction Score
Not in the states but over in Europe soccer crowds make monkey noises and throw banana peels on the pitch at soccer games to irritate african players . Having said that I think cousins should have just let this go and not demand it be removed ; makes him look petty seeing as there is no ill intent .

No one is denying that calling black people monkeys is despicable and that this would have been weird if it was just "have a monkey t-shirt for no reason night," but it seems like he's calling for all future Chinese New Year promotions to be cancelled because one of the animals is a monkey, it's silly.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
It was the first day of black history month. Monkeys have been used as a symbol to degrade blacks for years and years. I wouldn't have made the connection, and it would suck to plan all this and have it overturned last minute because of the objections of a small minority.

But the Kings are trying to accommodate a large audience. If DeMarcus Cousins and only DeMarcus Cousins was offended by this, maybe he's the problem. That's not the case, though.
I understand the connection, it's just ridiculous. The shirt is celebrating chinese new year. If he wants to be offended by shirts celebrating chinese new year, that's his perogative but this is some serious conspiracy kitty stuff.

Reaction Score
No one is denying that calling black people monkeys is despicable and that this would have been weird if it was just "have a monkey t-shirt for no reason night," but it seems like he's calling for all future Chinese New Year promotions to be cancelled because one of the animals is a monkey, it's silly.
Agreed

Reaction Score

Am I allowed to read Curious George to my kid this month? Or would Cousins object to that as well?

Reaction Score
weird story, but it was nice seeing rip weigh in. is it OT if one of the commentators is wearing a UConn t-shirt???

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Well, I guess we know where Chinese cultural heritage lies on the pecking order.

caw

Reaction Score
It was a poorly timed marketing event IMO. Not racist but they should have thought more on it and had the shirts set up for the game closest to the actual lunar New Year date and put something out on the first regarding BHM.

I'm honestly not exactly sure why Cousins was complaining. I mean, was he complaining because it was the start of BHM and he thought that should be celebrated. Or was he complaining because there was a monkey on the shirt? If it's the former, I have zero issue with it. If it's solely the later, that's absurd. If it's a mix, then I see his point.

Reaction Score

So let's see....

The shirt says "Happy Lunar New Year. Year of the Monkey. 2016"

There is a picture of a Monkey holding a lunar symbol. It's also 2016....

huskypantz

Reaction Score
It was a poorly timed marketing event IMO. Not racist but they should have thought more on it and had the shirts set up for the game closest to the actual lunar New Year date and put something out on the first regarding BHM.

I'm honestly not exactly sure why Cousins was complaining. I mean, was he complaining because it was the start of BHM and he thought that should be celebrated. Or was he complaining because there was a monkey on the shirt? If it's the former, I have zero issue with it. If it's solely the later, that's absurd. If it's a mix, then I see his point.
My take is that while I can understand that he would say that it is MORE offensive on the first day of BHM, he's still saying that it's offensive. So I think the date is irrelevant - he just thinks that the shirt is offensive. I have no issue with him being offended by it (people are offended by shirts with swears, religious zealots, Trump, Clinton) but I have an issue with the Kings catering to his concern. Is the ask to ban the likeness of a monkey across the board? Because he's extrapolating a symbol of celebration for a community and a culture as a symbol of racism against the black community. And that is beyond ridiculous. Lunar New Year is usually the biggest or second biggest holiday for Chinese and Vietnamese Americans, and the biggest for those living in Asia.

Also to note - the Kings had games 2/1 and 2/3 and then don't play at home again until 2/19. So really it was one of two dates. I have not heard that they rescheduled it to today, but all of the news outlets are using the word "cancelled". That tells me that Cousins made the statement that the shirts should not be given away in February or maybe at all.

Reaction Score
but it's something black people are sensitive to
Any black person who is "sensitive" to the portrayal of an image of a monkey during February, when said image in unrelated to black people, is a thin-skinned moron who should be told to shut the duck up and learn to be more tolerant of others.

caw

Reaction Score
My take is that while I can understand that he would say that it is MORE offensive on the first day of BHM, he's still saying that it's offensive. So I think the date is irrelevant - he just thinks that the shirt is offensive. I have no issue with him being offended by it (people are offended by shirts with swears, religious zealots, Trump, Clinton) but I have an issue with the Kings catering to his concern. Is the ask to ban the likeness of a monkey across the board? Because he's extrapolating a symbol of celebration for a community and a culture as a symbol of racism against the black community. And that is beyond ridiculous. Lunar New Year is usually the biggest or second biggest holiday for Chinese and Vietnamese Americans, and the biggest for those living in Asia.

Also to note - the Kings had games 2/1 and 2/3 and then don't play at home again until 2/19. So really it was one of two dates. I have not heard that they rescheduled it to today, but all of the news outlets are using the word "cancelled". That tells me that Cousins made the statement that the shirts should not be given away in February or maybe at all.

Well cancelling it is stupid.

Reaction Score
Any black person who is "sensitive" to the portrayal of an image of a monkey during February, when said image in unrelated to black people, is a thin-skinned moron who should be told to shut the duck up and learn to be more tolerant of others.

It's pretty interesting that you can demand he be more tolerant of others and call him a thin-skinned moron in the same post.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There was probably an opportunity in there for a teachable moment, but the Kings opted out of it.

I don't know anything about Cousins - I suspect he's well-meaning, but his ignorance of another culture probably should have been addressed instead of appeased.

As for the timing...the lunar New Year is Monday and the Kings are about to go on an extended road trip carrying them through most of next week.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cousins, due to his own antics, has no place to demand anything
He is a foul mouthed prejudiced immature dolt who should have been evicted from the league
Why any coach or team would put up with him, no matter how good someone may think he is, is beyond my comprehension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom