OT - David Bowie Is Dead. | The Boneyard

OT - David Bowie Is Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Holy . He just released an album on Friday!!!

Had cancer the last 18 months...was that public knowledge? This came out of nowhere. What an incredible career.

Reaction Score
Quite often 'cancer' is the public word for another disease. Still a big surprise, talented singer making music to the end.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bummer! I always thought his music was under appreciated.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn't like everything he did, but he was certainly one of the most original musicians of his generation.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I didn't like everything he did, but he was certainly one of the most original musicians of his generation.
I agree. I remember when he first came out. His music was ahead of it's time. I am trying to remember the song. I bought the 8 Track. I guess I am dating myself. I really didn't care at that time his music. It didn't fit in the Dance/Disco/Rock Genres. Anyway, it was a couple years later he went along with change, somewhat. I didn't know he had cancer until last evening. RIP DB.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Quite often 'cancer' is the public word for another disease. Still a big surprise, talented singer making music to the end.

Not denying that, but his battle is fairly well publicized.

I agree. I remember when he first came out. His music was ahead of it's time. I am trying to remember the song. I bought the 8 Track. I guess I am dating myself. I really didn't care at that time his music. It didn't fit in the Dance/Disco/Rock Genres. Anyway, it was a couple years later he went along with change, somewhat. I didn't know he had cancer until last evening. RIP DB.

I saw a poll done a number of years ago of 300+ musicians. He was rated as easily the most influential musician on their careers, ahead of acts like the Beatles and hendrix.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Great lyrics and vocal range.

Like many rockers, a bit prophetic too.

Young Americans- "We live for just these 20 years / Do we have to die for the 50 more?"

A decent look at some of his better songs and lyrics.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/01/11/20-best-david-bowie-songs-all-time/78617650/

Innovative in his investing too. He was one of the first to use his music to

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bowie-bond.asp

Bowie bonds, issued in 1997, had an interest rate of 7.9% and a life of 10 years. The Bowie bonds were purchased by Prudential Insurance for $55 million.

Bowie bonds represented one of the first instances of a bond that used intellectual property as the underlying collateral. The value of the bonds began to decline as online music and file sharing grew in popularity, decreasing album sales. This resulted in a downgrade by Moody's in 2004. However, the advent of legal online music retailers renewed interest in these securities in the latter part of the decade.

Reaction Score
My favorite Bowie period was when he was producing songs like rebel rebel, suffragette city , and the Jean genie. There was so much energy in those songs. Truly one of the greats whose style you could hear in many artists after him.

Reaction Score
I liked all his music. Saw him in Hartford in front of 15,000.
A month earlier I caught him at Toad's with Tin Machine and maybe 10 other people on a snowy night.
I don't think the guy can write a bad song.

And yes, his illness was pretty well-known.

Reaction Score
One of the most talented and innovative artists to come around, this really sucks. He will be so missed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The great thing about D Bowie is that his music will never get old because he explored so many genres.
He is the Andy Warhol of the music industry
The good thing about David Bowie is that he lived through his songs the bad thing about David Bowie is that he lived through his songs. He was was an uncontrollable down spiralling plane, he was always on the edge with substance abuse and sexual deviancy (at least to some!). I am quite surprised he lived as long as he did. I read in a London newspaper about 3 months ago when they were talking about his upcoming release that DB suffered at least a half dozen heart attacks!!!
RIP Major Tom

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Cancer is not one disease it is many diseases with many causes (most being unknown), but it is cancer. It is not AIDS or one of the less desirable diseases if that was your implication. HIV does lower your immune system however and make you more susceptible to cancer.

Reaction Score
Sad. Bowie was one of my favorite artists. He had such incredible talent and although I hate to use the word unique, he really was one of a kind as a musician/performer.

I watched The Man Who Fell To Earth and Labyrinth when I was young and loved them.

When my daughter was a baby, I used to sing this to her (she's doing just fine):

Reaction Score
The only time I saw him perform live was when he was a keyboard / singer sideman for Iggy Pop during the 'Idiot' tour of '77 - they wrote all the songs on the album together (except Sister Midnight). It was a great show. Despite a lot of 'bowie' cheers from the audience, he kept a low profile. The Ig was in rare form, however. China Girl was the album hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom