OT- Curry | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Curry

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Shall I dare to say Curry is matching three point skills with Ray Ray? Or better. However, Curry is playing at another level. He reminds me of Napier with his acrobatic layups. Now the shots from downtown, another story.

There's a 50page knock down drag out thread. Consensus is that he is playing at a higher level with greater skills than ray had. Ray's got the longevity, but Currys on another level.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stephen-currys-bombs-are-too-good-to-be-true/

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stephen-curry-is-the-revolution/

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Champs, I like your posts, but this is just plain dumb. Curry is going to go down as the best shooter of all time if he keeps up his pace. And in fact, he's still getting better... somehow. Kid is just ridiculous and there's no guarantee he'll have Ray's longevity, but he's head-and-shoulders the best shooter in the NBA right now, and maybe ever.

Woosh...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He wouldn't last playing for an old-school guy like Bobby Knight. Kid is plenty arrogant to be taking the shots he does with bulldogs like Bogut and Ezeli in the post. And don't even get me started on the hand-check era...guy wouldn't even be able to get a shot against Bruce Bowen.

Needs to work on that handle too.

Reaction Score
The thing with Curry is that he'd be ridiculously good even without the three point line. Guy is shooting 59% on two-point field goals this season.
The three point line skews everything. Because you get 50% more points for a shot behind the line, defenders are forced to over-guard the line, which makes driving past them substantially easier when you shoot like Curry. That, and the tight whistle calling that is now in the league, and you take a guy from "great shooter, maybe the best ever" to "this guy thinks he can be better than Jordan."
Not denying he's a fantastic basketball player - just saying it's a joke that's he believes he's in the conversation with Jordan and LBJ, both of whom are much better basketball players than him.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This thread is unbelievable. You can't compare Curry and Ray 3 point shooting. Curry is a better shooter, Ray just has longevity on him. Also people who are saying that Steph would be average in another era how are you even comparing that? This era of basketball is completely different than say the 90s... its almost as if it's a different game. Coaches couldn't imagine having teams that play like the Warriors let alone having a playing who is as good a shooter as Steph is. Please stop acting like everything new is bad and everything old is amazing, they are purely just different.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The jungle curry at jeera is pretty damn fiery. Love that stuff. I'm a green curry by default at unknown places, but love em all too

Figures you'd prefer green curry. Phillistines.

Everybody knows it's red that puts @sses in the seats.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Everything I can't stand about Curry can be encapsulated in his one ret@rded comment that, "I want to be better than Michael Jordan."

The thought that this clown, who can barely defend one position on the court, is arrogant enough to compare himself to Jordan,

God forbid the kid aspires to be great. The nerve.

You do realize they had a 3ot line in Jordan's era too?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where Curry is underrated is in his creation of shots. Curry is a very good shooter but shots have limitations. They simply go in or they don't. With really good shooters, shots will go in almost effortlessly time after time with a good look. The key is getting an open shot. That is what makes you a great player rather than a shooter. I was a good shooter, but I couldn't get a shot off against an NBA defense. Curry is great because he effortlessly creates opportunities to use his shooting ability.

The biggest thing I see that creates a difference between generations in the NBA is hand checking. Those of us in our 30's and 40's grew up playing high school basketball in the era where your coach yelled "keep a hand on him". Now, it is much easier to score.

My son plays at a large high school with good, big players. I am amazed how easy it is to score on these kids the couple times I've messed around playing with them. I realized the reason very quickly, they don't touch you much. When I was in high school defenders were much more physical. These guys don't make contact unless it is incidental. They definitely don't put their hand on the other guys waist like we did.

Reaction Score
The best three point shooters in NBA history were catch and shoot players. Curry has the best combination of handle, passing and shooting ability than anyone I have seen in the NBA hands down.

Better shooter than Jordan-yes
Better handle than Jordan-yes
Better passer than Jordan-yes

The only thing Jordan has on this kid is his highlight dunks, more game winning shots and 5 more titles.

Give the kid 10 years and we will compare.

Reaction Score
I believe many are missing sarcasm and those who aren't sarcastic are whacked then. Love our Ray to death but this kid is out of control good and easily the best shooter we've seen in our days. He's just crazy good.

Reaction Score
I believe many are missing sarcasm and those who aren't sarcastic are whacked then. Love our Ray to death but this kid is out of control good and easily the best shooter we've seen in our days. He's just crazy good.
TasteofUConn is definitely not being sarcastic and that's scary.

Reaction Score
TasteofUConn is definitely not being sarcastic and that's scary.
His NBA opinions have been bizarre dating back to the Finals last year, and they're only getting weirder.

Not being a Curry fan is fine, but you have to be a miserable human being to hate the guy (excluding fans of rival teams).

Reaction Score
It seems borderline impossible to actually watch GSW play and conclude that Curry is a beneficiary of a "gimmick" or a product of his era. So it's not difficult to surmise that Frank doesn't actually watch the kid or know what he's talking about, he's just going to tell you how it is. In that sense it's not unlike a lot of the stuff he posts.

Reaction Score
My Duke fan brother in law was trying to tell me Kyrie is better than Curry.....

I could not believe the run Curry made with Davidson, you know all those teams were keying on stopping him. Game after game he puts 30+ up against top talent when he is the target if their gimmick d's. I followed his nba career ever since.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I love RA but Curry is so much more than what RA was - all around
You can hate the guy but the guy can flat out score. Yeah the defenses are weaker due to rules but a scorer will score no mateer what is in front of him/her.
Having Green is a luxury but that doesn't mean that Pippen, Rodman and Paxton were thorns in MJ's side - does it?
Ray had a sweet deadly shot - Curry has a quick deadly shot from almost anywhere on the floor.
He has improved his ballhandling skills as well as his passing and court awareness.
I'm not sure if he is the best or even the MVP BUT in a pick-up game - I'm choosing him 1st.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The best three point shooters in NBA history were catch and shoot players. Curry has the best combination of handle, passing and shooting ability than anyone I have seen in the NBA hands down.

Better shooter than Jordan-yes
Better handle than Jordan-yes
Better passer than Jordan-yes

The only thing Jordan has on this kid is his highlight dunks, more game winning shots and 5 more titles.

Uh what? Jordan was literally unstoppable. Best clutch scorer (outside of Horry haha).

And Jordan was far more complete, as he was a much, much better defender. Until Curry becomes 9x all defensive team and DPOY, he doesn't compare.

Reaction Score
Better shooter than Jordan-yes, Better handle than Jordan-yes, Better passer than Jordan-yes,

This asinine post is exactly the reason I don't like Curry. The "ONLY" thing Jordan has on this kid is dunks and game winning shots. My God. I'm not even a Jordan fan and that stands out as an incredibly shallow assessment.

Jordan could score from everywhere, and didn't need a no-touching set of rules and a 3 point line crutch to do so. His defense was off the charts, and he could defend a broad range of players. He didn't need to be streaky to take over a game.

I can't believe I just spent a minute defending Jordan.

Curry. The only thing Jordan has on his is flashy dunking. Jesus.

Reaction Score
This asinine post is exactly the reason I don't like Curry. The "ONLY" thing Jordan has on this kid is dunks and game winning shots. My God. I'm not even a Jordan fan and that stands out as an incredibly shallow assessment.

Jordan could score from everywhere, and didn't need a no-touching set of rules and a 3 point line crutch to do so. His defense was off the charts, and he could defend a broad range of players. He didn't need to be streaky to take over a game.

It's crazy but no less crazy than what you said about Curry.

Reaction Score

Disliking Curry because a BY poster made a ridiculous comment is some of the weirdest logic I've ever heard.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There's a 50page knock down drag out thread. Consensus is that he is playing at a higher level with greater skills than ray had. Ray's got the longevity, but Currys on another level.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stephen-currys-bombs-are-too-good-to-be-true/

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stephen-curry-is-the-revolution/

I love Ray, but Curry is on an entirely different level than Ray was even in his prime. It's not even close. Curry's handle is much, much tighter, and despite his lack of size and low release point he's somehow better than Ray at getting his shot off.

Reaction Score
The thing with Curry is that he'd be ridiculously good even without the three point line. Guy is shooting 59% on two-point field goals this season.
To be fair, I'd argue that his 2pt% is as high as it is because of how closely he must be guarded on the perimeter. It allows for easier penetration.

Dude is really good everywhere on the court, though.

Reaction Score
would be interesting to see a prime ray allen playing in this era....it is alot easier to get your shot off nowadays....and defenders are alot less physical....look how easy it is for curry to move around screens. I still think curry is an amazing talent, and would be great in any era. But ray in todays game could potentially be a 30ppg scorer. Also besides jimmy butler and klay thompson, I don't see any shooting guard in todays game that could matchup with ray in his prime.

Reactions: caw

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My Duke fan brother in law was trying to tell me Kyrie is better than Curry.....

I could not believe the run Curry made with Davidson, you know all those teams were keying on stopping him. Game after game he puts 30+ up against top talent when he is the target if their gimmick d's. I followed his nba career ever since.

My completely wrong predictions regarding Curry's NBA future disabused me of any fantasy that I could be an NBA GM/scout. Watching him at Davidson, I had no idea he could actually play PG in the NBA (he played mostly off the ball, next to a pass-first PG) and his release point was (and is) really low. I just didn't see him being a star.

I also thought the Bulls should take Beasley over Rose.

Let it be known I'm a man who can admit his mistakes.

Reaction Score
Prime Ray Allen would take him in a dunk contest, but Curry surpasses him as a shooter easily if he keeps it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom