OT - Cotto vs Alvarez | The Boneyard

OT - Cotto vs Alvarez

Who you got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like both fighters a lot but I have to go with Cotto on this one.
Cotto has better footwork, good combos to set up the left hook.
Canelo has trouble with mobile fighters (flat footed?) that being said
the guy is a beast can take it as well as he dishes.
I think Cotto's dance and use of the ring is going frustrate Canelo
and he's going over commit and start eating Cotto's jab and eventually
land that left hook to the liver.

Reaction Score
I'm going with Canelo by decision on this one, I'm not really sold on this so-called resurgence of Cotto w/ Roach. Cotto's 3 wins with Roach are over a through hell and back Delvin Rodrigues who was only a C+ fighter at his peak, Sergio Martinez on one leg who had no business even being cleared for that fight, and a weight drained Daniel Geale a who was also another C+/B- fighter at his peak. I still think Cotto is closer to the fighter that got washed up by Austin Trout.

Reaction Score
18 months ago I would have bet the house on Cotto. 12 months ago I would have bet two month's pay on Cotto. Now, at age 35...I am not willing to bet at all. He is the more skilled fighter, but 35 years old is 35 years old. He may beat Canelo but lose to Father Time. Canelo is younger and naturally much bigger.

But sitting the fence is for losers, so I will join you in picking Cotto. I am not sold on Canelo's chin. I think Cotto can hurt him early and out box him down the stretch.

Reaction Score
I'm not much of a boxing fan and I've never heard of either of these guys until earlier this week. Cotto by decision....all day

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
It's an interesting matchup that will hopefully (should) provide some entertainment value for the PPV bucks. I am not sure if Cotto is fully over the beating he absorbed from Margarito. If Cotto starts to get hit by Canelo's power shots, I think that will make him retreat. I am picking Canelo by decision.

Reaction Score
My heart is with Cotto; but have to go with Canelo. I'm not paying those prices. Will watch for free next week but this has the makings of a great fight. These are some tough a** dudes. They will both bring all they have.

Reaction Score
Tough to pick a winner and I want Cotto, but with a gun to my head.....Canelo by decision.

Reaction Score
18 months ago I would have bet the house on Cotto. 12 months ago I would have bet two month's pay on Cotto. Now, at age 35...I am not willing to bet at all. He is the more skilled fighter, but 35 years old is 35 years old. He may beat Canelo but lose to Father Time. Canelo is younger and naturally much bigger.

But sitting the fence is for losers, so I will join you in picking Cotto. I am not sold on Canelo's chin. I think Cotto can hurt him early and out box him down the stretch.

Of all the weaknesses in Canelo's game, how can you count his chin as one of them? I've never seen him even be seriously damaged on his feet before, much less gone down.

And to OP, yes Canelo does theoretically have trouble with mobile fighters, however he did beat Trout when Trout was still good, and Cotto isn't anyone's idea of a slick mobile boxer. At most he's somewhat slick for a fighter of Hispanic heritage, who are usually unskilled brawlers.

Reaction Score
Of all the weaknesses in Canelo's game, how can you count his chin as one of them? I've never seen him even be seriously damaged on his feet before, much less gone down.

And to OP, yes Canelo does theoretically have trouble with mobile fighters, however he did beat Trout when Trout was still good, and Cotto isn't anyone's idea of a slick mobile boxer. At most he's somewhat slick fve
or a fighter of Hispanic heritage, who are usually unskilled brawlers.

You also have never seen him take a good round of shots from a Class-A puncher. I didn't say he didn't have a good chin...just no proof that he does.

Reaction Score
You also have never seen him take a good round of shots from a Class-A puncher. I didn't say he didn't have a good chin...just no proof that he does.

Sounds like you didn't see the Kirkland fight. Cant fight a much bigger puncher around 54-60 than that.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Alvarez by decision, Cotto has a jaw.

Just realized Alvarez is another Under Armour athlete.... quite the sponsorship team they've got... Brady, Harper, Curry, Spieth, Canelo, vonn all arguably the best in their respective sports.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you didn't see the Kirkland fight. Cant fight a much bigger puncher around 54-60 than that.

Sounds like you don't know what Class -A means. Kirkland hits like a truck, but he is very predictable and easily hit. That's why he got crushed. But if i grant you Kirkland that is one fight. Again, not saying he doesn't have a good beard...just untested.

Reaction Score
It's a good fight, but in the end, one guy is younger, faster, stronger and just plain bigger.

Canelo by late knockout.

Conventional wisdom and logic agree with you. Is he ready for the big stage? He has fought one Hall of Fame opponent and was taken to school. Canelo should win, but gun to my head is would take Cotto.

Reaction Score

Did you watch the Canelo-Kirkland fight? Kirkland landed some real good shots and in fact he hurt Canelo. Kirkland is a brawler not a boxer only way he was going to win the fight was by K.O Canelo weather the storm and when Kirkland blew all his steam is when Canelo did his work.

he's somewhat slick for a fighter of Hispanic heritage, who are usually unskilled brawlers.

Do you know who holds the majority of the belts in Boxing? do you even know who the P4P is?
There's about a dozen hispanic fighters with a far more impressive record then Floyd. Chavez was 89-0 before his first loss.

Mike Tyson described Chavez as " watching a sculpturer chisel out his masterpiece ".

For the record Canelo and Cotto are boxer-punchers not brawlers, oh though Cotto is the better boxer IMO.

Here I'm going quote and article from Boxing News...

"Most American boxers have an athletic finesse to their style and although admirable for the virtue of athleticism, when it comes to an actual ‘fighting match’ the fights could be rather boring with very little drama and action. The main difference is that Mexican fighters tent to take risks in the ring that American fighters are not willing to take. For instance, an American fighter will completely move his head, shoulder, and waist to avoid a punch while a Mexican fighter will take a step back to avoid the punch or roll the head with the punch cushioning the punch. The American fighter might appear to have the better defense by virtue of getting hit less, but that’s not the point— The point is that while the Mexican fighter is getting tagged from time to time, the American fighter is using all his energy constantly moving his body avoiding punches and wasting energy. The American fighter will use speed while the Mexican fighter will use timing.

In most fights where a Mexican fighter defeats his opponent, the fights tent to look like this: The Mexican fighter typically will start of slow getting tagged for the first couple of rounds, his opponent will look flashy getting hit mostly only by body shots. Eventually, the Mexican fighter has figured out his opponents timing, getting closer in range and continuing to work the body. By the 7th or 8th round his opponent has significantly slowed down getting caught more frequently with power shots.

I think that the biggest misconception is that Mexican fighters fight with a ‘brawler’ style. Again, most Mexican fighters are considered boxer-punchers and even then the only true statement that could be said about boxing fighters is that they can take a punch well and fight with great determination.

For example, second to Mayweather it is common knowledge that the best technical fighter of this era is Juan Manuel Marquez, perhaps the most unorthodox fighters at least in my opinion are Miguel Vasquez and Carlos Molina both Mexican fighters
"

Reaction Score
It's a good fight, but in the end, one guy is younger, faster, stronger and just plain bigger.

Canelo by late knockout.

As much as my Puerto Rican blood doesn't allow me to root against cotto..... I gotta go with fishy on this one.

Reaction Score
Cotto will counter puch the sheet out of Canelo the 2nd half of this fight.

Reaction Score
I am a HARDCORE boxing fan and I think Canelo by decision, but I just cant tell who will win. If your not into boxing, this will be good fight to watch. Should be alot of fireworks.

Reaction Score
Oh and for the guys arguing above,as Calhoun would say, both of these guys are tough as nails. If its gonna end in knockout,its gonna take one hell of a punch from either guy. For me in the end. A bloodied Cotto loses in decision.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Uggh! Went to post Cotto by KO on my mobile and it jumped when I tried to submit and ended up as Canelo by decision. This poll has a 10% margin for error now.....

Reaction Score
Sounds like you don't know what Class -A means. Kirkland hits like a truck, but he is very predictable and easily hit. That's why he got crushed. But if i grant you Kirkland that is one fight. Again, not saying he doesn't have a good beard...just untested.

You said class A puncher. Kirkland has much more power at 154 than Cotto does at 160, that's pretty common knowledge. Cotto's only chance to win this fight is to dance and clinch and make it boring. If they trade Canelo will get the better of it and probably knock him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom