OT - Cotto vs Alvarez | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Cotto vs Alvarez

Who you got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Conventional wisdom and logic agree with you. Is he ready for the big stage? He has fought one Hall of Fame opponent and was taken to school. Canelo should win, but gun to my head is would take Cotto.

Everyone gets taken to school by Floyd, that's not an indictment on Canelo.

Did you watch the Canelo-Kirkland fight? Kirkland landed some real good shots and in fact he hurt Canelo. Kirkland is a brawler not a boxer only way he was going to win the fight was by K.O Canelo weather the storm and when Kirkland blew all his steam is when Canelo did his work.

Do you know who holds the majority of the belts in Boxing? do you even know who the P4P is?
There's about a dozen hispanic fighters with a far more impressive record then Floyd. Chavez was 89-0 before his first loss.

Mike Tyson described Chavez as " watching a sculpturer chisel out his masterpiece ".

For the record Canelo and Cotto are boxer-punchers not brawlers, oh though Cotto is the better boxer IMO.

Canelo was never seriously hurt in the Kirkland fight. He took a few of Kirk's best shots and was never in any serious danger.

JCC Sr wasn't really a technical boxer, he was more of a pressure fighter who had a great chin and stamina and really impressive body work.

You are correct that Cotto is a better technical boxer in that he has better footwork, but Canelo's boxing ability in putting together combinations is very underrated. Cotto's slight advantage in movement doesn't make up for the power/size/youth/chin advantages that Canelo enjoys.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
It's a good fight, but in the end, one guy is younger, faster, stronger and just plain bigger.

Canelo by late knockout.
TKO maybe, pure knockout unlikely.
If Margaritto couldn't KO Cotto with loaded gloves, don't think Canelo will

Having said that, I'm taking Canelo by decision. Youth will win out in the end, along with a reach advantage. I'm still unsure whether Canelo's hand speed (or lackthereof) will open himself up to Cotto counters, which could turn the fight quick

Reaction Score
Canelo has the power edge over Cotto? Have you seen Cotto fight?

Thats what I'm saying. If Canelo walks around 175 and had to dehydrate himself to make 155 so if there was any edge in favor of Canelo it's out the window.

Reaction Score
Thats what I'm saying. If Canelo walks around 175 and had to dehydrate himself to make 155 so if there was any edge in favor of Canelo it's out the window.

Canelo does that for every fight. That's fairly common in boxing in general, the only reason guys like Cotto and Pacquiao don't gain 8-10 lbs between the weigh in and the fight is because they're small for their divisions.

Canelo has the power edge over Cotto? Have you seen Cotto fight?

I understand that Cotto is probably one of the 3 or 4 guys you have actually seen fight, but if you actually know boxing you know that Cotto's last few fights have been very safe hand-picked choices and that his power was questionable at 154, let alone 160.

Reaction Score
Well fight was what I thought it would be, I had Canelo winning a 115-113 or 116-112 but the scores were definitely wide. Cotto did a great job of sticking and moving but it was clear everything Canelo landed was solid and Cotto couldn't really damage him whatsoever. If Canelo had come with a bit more aggressiveness he probably could have stopped Cotto.

Also Cotto's wife has awesome t.its.

Reaction Score
Good call picking Canelo guys.... hope Cotto drops back down he's just to small for that division.

Didnt really think Canelo was that huge can't wait to see him fight GGG.

Cotto at 147 could have huge fights.

Reaction Score
Well fight was what I thought it would be, I had Canelo winning a 115-113 or 116-112 but the scores were definitely wide. Cotto did a great job of sticking and moving but it was clear everything Canelo landed was solid and Cotto couldn't really damage him whatsoever. If Canelo had come with a bit more aggressiveness he probably could have stopped Cotto.

Also Cotto's wife has awesome t.its.

Never remember seeing Canelo showboating likethat before.

Cotto's wife looks like had one to many surgeries, Canelo's girl though.

Reaction Score
Good call picking Canelo guys.... hope Cotto drops back down he's just to small for that division.

Didnt really think Canelo was that huge can't wait to see him fight GGG.

Cotto at 147 could have huge fights.
I think its way too late in the game for Cotto to make 147, he'll probably stay at junior middleweight

Reaction Score
Don't really think there was anything for Cotto to do to win this fight since I wasn't really high on his last 3 wins and felt Canelo was the better fighter, but Freddie Roach was out of his mind thinking going into this fight that Cotto would be able to back down a much bigger fighter and harder puncher(at that weight).

Reaction Score
Never remember seeing Canelo showboating likethat before.

Cotto's wife looks like had one to many surgeries, Canelo's girl though.

Canelo was weird all night. It was clear Cotto couldn't really hurt him yet Canelo fought like he was afraid of his power all night.

Cotto's wife has a chubby face but that rack is immaculate.

Also, I think GGG eats either one of these guys alive, the difference is Canelo will actually fight him, had Cotto won he'd have completely ducked him.

Reaction Score
Don't really think there was anything for Cotto to do to win this fight since I wasn't really high on his last 3 wins and felt Canelo was the better fighter, but Freddie Roach was out of his mind thinking going into this fight that Cotto would be able to back down a much bigger fighter and harder puncher(at that weight).

These were my thoughts. And honestly, Cotto fought about the best he could have tonight and Canelo brought his B-game. Like I said the scores were definitely wide, but Canelo still won. I really hope we get the GGG Canelo fight.

Reaction Score
And to be clear, I thought Cotto fought a GREAT fight. He's just physically limited at 160 and fought a solid, legit middleweight that has a very good chin and heavy hands.

Reaction Score
First off - Big Mamasita Cotto.

Second - Canelo was physically superior. Not much doubt in this. Wasn't much about him getting hurt, but there was little doubt in terms of him imposing his will...

Reaction Score
And to be clear, I thought Cotto fought a GREAT fight. He's just physically limited at 160 and fought a solid, legit middleweight that has a very good chin and heavy hands.
I thought Cotto would win by decision as i expected him to box all night on his toes and canelo with a history of stamina issues would tire down the stretch. The problem was physically Canelo was much bigger then i expected and that was the difference. Cotto is a blown up WW while Canelo is a legit MW and thats what the fight came down to. Cotto looked more skilled and versatile but just too small to hurt canelo and a lot of his punches were absorbed by canelo on his arms.

That being said it was disappointing that Canelo could not finish or even hurt a much smaller fighter with a history of chin issues. Theres talk of Canelo/GGG and im of the opinion before the fight and now even more so that Canelo should stay as far from GGG as possible for as long as possible which appears to be his promotions plan even though he would fight GGG. GGG wins by stoppage, no doubt about it.

Reaction Score
I thought Cotto would win by decision as i expected him to box all night on his toes and canelo with a history of stamina issues would tire down the stretch. The problem was physically Canelo was much bigger then i expected and that was the difference. Cotto is a blown up WW while Canelo is a legit MW and thats what the fight came down to. Cotto looked more skilled and versatile but just too small to hurt canelo and a lot of his punches were absorbed by canelo on his arms.

That being said it was disappointing that Canelo could not finish or even hurt a much smaller fighter with a history of chin issues. Theres talk of Canelo/GGG and im of the opinion before the fight and now even more so that Canelo should stay as far from GGG as possible for as long as possible which appears to be his promotions plan even though he would fight GGG. GGG wins by stoppage, no doubt about it.

I was disappointed by Canelo's lack of aggressiveness for sure, he fought like he thought Cotto could seriously hurt him with 1 shot when that clearly wasn't the case. He did an effective job of landing to Cotto's body and wearing him down, and you could see that Cotto would flinch on some of the shots Canelo landed. I'm not sure if that's on Canelo or his trainer, but his game plan wasn't great for that fight. As far as Canelo fighting GGG, I think that fight does come off, and GGG definitely wins, yet I wouldn't be surprised if Canelo survived 12 with him or even got in some stiff shots of his own. I think GGG either gets Canelo at 160 or Ward at 168 by next summer, I'd personally love to see GGG Ward come off and I think that's a true 50/50 kind of fight.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
..... As far as Canelo fighting GGG, I think that fight does come off, and GGG definitely wins, yet I wouldn't be surprised if Canelo survived 12 with him or even got in some stiff shots of his own. I think GGG either gets Canelo at 160 or Ward at 168 by next summer, I'd personally love to see GGG Ward come off and I think that's a true 50/50 kind of fight.

I definately want to see Canelo take the challenge and fight GGG. I am a big GGG fan, and really want to see him fight a popular opponent like Canelo. I hope it happens. They have talked about a catch weight of 154 or possibly 157, but GGG wants to remain at 160. Eventually GGG will move up to 168 once he completely cleans out the middle weight division.

Ward will not fight GGG as he is moving up to 175 and signed with HBO for several fight contract to conclude with a blockbuster showdown with Kovalev for light heavy towards end of next year. But, that will be a great matchup.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Apparently Golovkin sparred with Canelo several years ago. See the size difference between them here .

Reaction Score
Who the hell is GGG please?

The best boxer pound for pound in the sport. Mentioned him 3 years ago on here and got some slack then after that fight people were like ok maybe he legit.

No one can touch him right now. His punching power is unmatched. He has fantastic balance and ring awareness. Cuts of the ring phenomenally and is always positioned to throw a lethal punch in any position cause of his balance and footwork.

He has never been knocked down in his amateur or professional career. Hails from Kazakhstan.

His one weakness is he seems to get bored some fights and doesn't avoid being hit. It almost seems like he does it in purpose cause he knows they can't hurt him. His defense is good though when he wants

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Who the hell is GGG please?

Golovkin, the guy at the far right in the picture. He is the undefeated middleweight champion with 21 straight knockouts. He has the highest knock out percentage in middle weight history.

He also won 98.5% of his 350 amateur fights.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I definately want to see Canelo take the challenge and fight GGG. I am a big GGG fan, and really want to see him fight a popular opponent like Canelo. I hope it happens. They have talked about a catch weight of 154 or possibly 157, but GGG wants to remain at 160. Eventually GGG will move up to 168 once he completely cleans out the middle weight division.

Ward will not fight GGG as he is moving up to 175 and signed with HBO for several fight contract to conclude with a blockbuster showdown with Kovalev for light heavy towards end of next year. But, that will be a great matchup.

I think GGG moves up to 168 and looks for Ward immediately if it turns out the Canelo fight cannot be made. I think HBO makes it worth Ward's while financially to fight one more time at 168 to make that matchup happen. Kovalev at 175 isn't going anywhere for awhile, and his preference is probably still to track Stevenson down and explore any and all possibilities of that fight being made. IMO that's the most interesting fight in boxing that can currently be made.

Reaction Score
The best boxer pound for pound in the sport. Mentioned him 3 years ago on here and got some slack then after that fight people were like ok maybe he legit.

No one can touch him right now. His punching power is unmatched. He has fantastic balance and ring awareness. Cuts of the ring phenomenally and is always positioned to throw a lethal punch in any position cause of his balance and footwork.

He has never been knocked down in his amateur or professional career. Hails from Kazakhstan.

His one weakness is he seems to get bored some fights and doesn't avoid being hit. It almost seems like he does it in purpose cause he knows they can't hurt him. His defense is good though when he wants

The power and technical offensive ability are both legit, but he's not avoiding being hit because he's "bored", he's just not quick enough defensively or has good enough head/foot/body movement to be considered a good defensive fighter. Also, while clearly not his fault, GGG hasn't fought an A, or even B+ level fighter yet. It's one thing to look like a stud against the likes of Geale and Rubio, but how great will he look when in against a legitimate top fighter?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I think GGG moves up to 168 and looks for Ward immediately if it turns out the Canelo fight cannot be made. I think HBO makes it worth Ward's while financially to fight one more time at 168 to make that matchup happen. Kovalev at 175 isn't going anywhere for awhile, and his preference is probably still to track Stevenson down and explore any and all possibilities of that fight being made. IMO that's the most interesting fight in boxing that can currently be made.

Golovkin has said he wants to first take all the middle weight belts. He doesn't want to fight lower than 160 pounds unless Mayweather comes calling. So we will see what happens with Canelo and weight. I do think GGG will move up to 168 in the future.

The contract Ward signed with HBO requires him to fight Kovalev next year. It will happen. Kovalev has given up on seeking Adonis (he was calling him out on social media for a while). Adonis is on Showtime and wants nothing to do with Kovalev.

Reaction Score
Golovkin has said he wants to first take all the middle weight belts. He doesn't want to fight lower than 160 pounds unless Mayweather comes calling. So we will see what happens with Canelo and weight. I do think GGG will move up to 168 in the future.

The contract Ward signed with HBO requires him to fight Kovalev next year. It will happen. Kovalev has given up on seeking Adonis (he was calling him out on social media for a while). Adonis is on Showtime and wants nothing to do with Kovalev.

The same reason you just gave about Stevenson having been/continuing to be able to duck Krusher is the reason GGG isn't really staying at 160 "to win all the belts and clean out the division". Neither Jacobs nor Quillin are ever fighting GGG.

HBO's first preference if Canelo/GGG falls through would be to make GGG/Ward, keeping Kovalev busy would be a secondary concern. Contracts don't mean anything in boxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom