OT - Coombs-McDaniel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Coombs-McDaniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
never impressed with coombs-mcdouche. always saw him as a good mid major player best case scenario.

Reaction Score
He has fulfilled his potential. A good game against PC and a lucky rebound.
He also set a screen against Pitt for Kemba during the last possession of the game in the BET.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but no one from that national championship team can do wrong in my eyes. That includes Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and AO.

While I respect yours and others perspective niner, I don't even remember either of them and wherever they are I sincerely hope they prove to be as selfish as they were here. .......and of little impact!!

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
The 2011 national championship was one of the thrills of my life as a sports fan, especially since it was so unexpected. Eleven wins in a row - as amazing now as it was then! I am forever grateful to all the players on that team, including Coombs-McDaniel. If he is selfish or has screwed up his life, that's sad. But it doesn't take away my appreciation for his part in the 2011 championship.

Reaction Score
Without the rebound/timeout, there is no cardiac kemba.

Without Cardiac Kemba, there is no NC.

You are technically correct but this is like saying a .210 hitter is a key part of a baseball team after he hits a walk-off homerun. If the .210 hitter was a .280 hitter, maybe the walk-off homerun isn't even needed. You need people to contribute, in a positive way, every minute of every game. The less heros a team needs, the better. You need players that are clutch all of the time so they don't NEED to be clutch at the end of every game.

Similarly, the guy that strikes out in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded and his team down by 1 run is not at fault for the loss. A great team hardly ever puts their players in that situation. Every player should not just be willing to take the last shot or bat the last at bat but they should be willing to fail. Those are the great players who also end up succeeding in those situations because they realize that their last shot or last swing isn't what really determined the outcome of the game and they embrace the opportunity to at least try and save their team from their failure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
. But it doesn't take away my appreciation for his part in the 2011 championship.

Did he play? I can't remember any impact what so ever in the 2011 championships.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Did he play? I can't remember any impact what so ever in the 2011 championships.

Yes, he played in all the games in the Big East tourney and all the games in the NCAA tourney. He didn't contribute a lot, but that's not the point. He was a member of the team, and everyone on the team deserves some of the credit for that incredible postseason run.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget in Maui when Coombs threw up a deep contested 3 point shot and when Calhoun took him out, he had temper tantrum and slammed his seat. Calhoun then had to be help back my Coach Ollie and Miller, and told Coombs to get *uck outta of the gym. Pretty sure everyone in the gym heard. Was never a big fan of how the kid carried himself, but as other have pointed out, he did have one of the most important rebounds in UConn history.

Reaction Score
If memory serves, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was having knee issues forward towards the end of the season. I liked him as a player, outside of Kemba there weren't many offensive weapons and I thought had he returned he would have been good - maybe our 2nd offensive option. Loved his midrange shot where he'd catch the ball at the FT line, elevate & shoot.

Why the hate - he was basically shown the door.

Reaction Score
He was horrible his freshman year but he certainly improved his sophomore year. I think he led the team in scoring in 2 or 3 games. We really could have used him last year. I have no ill feelings towards him but he clearly needs to grow up. At least get the diploma.

Reaction Score
Oddly lacking in court sense. Got the feeling he was always guessing whether to shoot, drive or pass rather than reacting to what was there. Those few games where he scored over 20 seemed like he could have scored 40. Always seemed to be open or near the ball. Then it just stopped. Shows that you can't judge a player on a few games, good or bad.
Moving on is sometimes the answer sometime not, thing you got to remember CM is that you may have gotten away from Calhoun but you still have to live with how you impact/react to others.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's got a bit of the Doug Wiggins thing going on.

Maybe he ends up at Mountain State?

Reaction Score
The only 2 memories i have of Jamal Coombs-McDaniel actually making a contribution to this team are the Providence game when he went off for about 25 points, and the O rebound that made the Kemba buzzer beater possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom