OT - Cookout side dish | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Cookout side dish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@KingOPancakes I have to clarify...I don't do the jalapenos. I use the stuffing and then stuff these small, sweet peppers that come in a bag from Perro.
P1090913.jpg

I call bullsht here. No guy is offering you his special snooty quadruple IPA for a sweet pepper stuffed with cream cheese. Save those for a baby shower

Reaction Score
Agreed. I'm going with that and a corn/bean salsa like the ones @Doheny suggested.

Someone should put together a boneyard potluck because everything on here looks delicious.
You can't ever go wrong with that but make sure you use homemade or at least quality store bought mozzarella, also get some fresh quality heirloom tomatoes.

Reaction Score
When I have to make a side dish to a cookout that I have been invited to, I like to smoke the biggest pork shoulder I can find for a day or so. Rubbed with a nice sweet and slightly spicy rub, smoked with hickory and apple chunks, pulled, with a nice runny sauce and some crusty rolls. You show up with that, in a huge vat or crock pot to keep as low warm as you can get it. Then you take the coleslaw from whomever was silly enough to bring that so people can throw it on top of your pulled pork sammiches. Then, everyone brings their side dishes back home mostly uneaten because you just filled their belly with the truth.

Reaction Score
You have a recipe? That sounds good.
I'll try and get it tonight for you. More or less shred up a rotisserie chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, celery, bleu cheese crumbles and frank's red hot and throw it in a crock pot

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When I have to make a side dish to a cookout that I have been invited to, I like to smoke the biggest pork shoulder I can find for a day or so. Rubbed with a nice sweet and slightly spicy rub, smoked with hickory and apple chunks, pulled, with a nice runny sauce and some crusty rolls. You show up with that, in a huge vat or crock pot to keep as low warm as you can get it. Then you take the coleslaw from whomever was silly enough to bring that so people can throw it on top of your pulled pork sammiches. Then, everyone brings their side dishes back home mostly uneaten because you just filled their belly with the truth.

That's not a side dish. That's a main course competing with the host for your own ego purposes.

You did that at my house, you wouldn't be invited back. In fact you might even get shown the door. It's an (*) move, sport.

Now, if you were specifically requested to bring another entree or that particular dish, then fine.

I knew a jerk that when he'd get invited to cookouts, he'd smoke his own ribs - knowing that ribs were being served - just so he could show up the host. Did that at least 3 times at different houses in my old neighborhood. He - and his entire family - were never invited back to anything. That's just rude.

As to what I'd bring, I'd grill some eggplant, zucchini, shrooms, artichoke and peppers, cube up 2-3 different cheeses, throw some fresh basil on it and maybe include some salumi, and voila, antipasto.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's not a side dish. That's a main course competing with the host for your own ego purposes.

You did that at my house, you wouldn't be invited back. In fact you might even get shown the door. It's an (*) move, sport.

Now, if you were specifically requested to bring another entree or that particular dish, then fine.

I knew a jerk that when he'd get invited to cookouts, he'd smoke his own ribs - knowing that ribs were being served - just so he could show up the host. Did that at least 3 times at different houses in my old neighborhood. He - and his entire family - were never invited back to anything. That's just rude.

As to what I'd bring, I'd grill some eggplant, zucchini, shrooms, artichoke and peppers, cube up 2-3 different cheeses, throw some fresh basil on it and maybe include some salumi, and voila, antipasto.
Take a deep breath, have a little decaf. I was just having some fun.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
my wife makes buffalo chicken dip....there's never any leftovers

A good buffalo chicken dip will always get wiped clean. For me that's more of fall and football app than a summer cookout.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Look long and hard at some newer deviled egg recipes. You can go a lot more creative than the standard many of us are used to seeing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another you can always bring for a summer cookout that a host will appreciate- ICE.

Can't remember the last time a host saw a guest with a bag of ice and thought "Crap what am I going to do with this?". Used for cooling down drinks in coolers, mixed drinks inside the house or putting down bathing suits. It's so versatile.

Reaction Score
I'm charged with bringing a side dish to a cookout this weekend and I don't want to go with one of the old standby's (coleslaw, pasta salad, etc).

Any culinary inclined yarders have any suggestions?

I call it carb free salad for those doing low carb diets

2 lbs crumbled sausage cooked, drained and cooled
1 lb of diced Genoa salami (get slices about 1/2 inch thick)
1 lb of diced pepperoni (sandwich size sliced about 1/2 inch thick)
1 lb of mozzarella shredded
1 lb of diced provolone (get slices about 1/2 inch thick)

Mix it all together in a large bowl. If you like you can add a little Italian Dressing

Good cold or heated.

Reaction Score
You are the antichrist.
That's possible, but I don't think so. I love everyone. I am not evil as far as I know and I would not deceive humanity, unless they are expecting burgers and dogs and I bring pulled pork instead.

Reaction Score
Now, since I have been criticized for my post about pulled pork I will offer a fair answer to the OP. This works good as a side dish to dinner especially in the summer when you don't want to heat up your kitchen with potatoes or rice. It works great when you have at least a day for everything to marinate together for the flavors to blend.
White beans either canned or dried and soaked - canellini or great northern or even navy beans.
Fresh herbs - rosemary, thyme, parsley (or cilantro if you are making as a side dish to Latin food), oregano (or majoram) chopped up together.
Red onion
Lemon (or Lime as a sidekick to Latin dishes)
Red wine vinegar - not too much or you can use white wine vinegar or champagne wine vinegar
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Mix it all together. Add a little more of everything or anything to taste. Don't over Herb it. Let sit. If I'm going to eat the same day I make it or the next day sometimes I throw in some fresh avocado that is still firm (green skin). Leave the avocados out if you are making it for a big crowd and it is going to sit in the sun. The avocados will get mushy.
If you make it the night before it goes great as a side for a week night meal that you don't have to waste time preparing. It is a nice sidekick to grilled swordfish, a ribeye steak, pan seared chicken breast or a grilled pork tenderloin.
It is also fantastic with......pulled pork sammiches.

Reaction Score
Now, since I have been criticized for my post about pulled pork I will offer a fair answer to the OP. This works good as a side dish to dinner especially in the summer when you don't want to heat up your kitchen with potatoes or rice. It works great when you have at least a day for everything to marinate together for the flavors to blend.
White beans either canned or dried and soaked - canellini or great northern or even navy beans.
Fresh herbs - rosemary, thyme, parsley (or cilantro if you are making as a side dish to Latin food), oregano (or majoram) chopped up together.
Red onion
Lemon (or Lime as a sidekick to Latin dishes)
Red wine vinegar - not too much or you can use white wine vinegar or champagne wine vinegar
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Mix it all together. Add a little more of everything or anything to taste. Don't over Herb it. Let sit. If I'm going to eat the same day I make it or the next day sometimes I throw in some fresh avocado that is still firm (green skin). Leave the avocados out if you are making it for a big crowd and it is going to sit in the sun. The avocados will get mushy.
If you make it the night before it goes great as a side for a week night meal that you don't have to waste time preparing. It is a nice sidekick to grilled swordfish, a ribeye steak, pan seared chicken breast or a grilled pork tenderloin.
It is also fantastic with.pulled pork sammiches.
Okay this is a much better suggestion, I guess you aren't all bad.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
You use sweet peppers instead of jalapeños? Why ? Too spicy?
Aren't you the delicate flower.

Cmon dove.
The first time I was all in with the jalapenos but got the too-hot complaints. Converted to the sweet peps with 4 jalapenos thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom