OT: Connecticut to Brooklyn question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut to Brooklyn question

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
If parking is the main consideration then I'll probably drive as NYU-Poly has sent us confirmation giving us options on places to park for free. Cost isn't really the issue, though, as much as convenience and the aggravation factor.

Free parking? Rolling out the red carpet for ya, huh? Given that, and the fact you are traveling from the Hartford area (I assume) driving is probably the better option. And on a Saturday, traffic is not the usual concern so I would just go with google directions,but try to find out if there are any construction issues, especially in NYC.

Reaction Score
Free parking? Rolling out the red carpet for ya, huh? Given that, and the fact you are traveling from the Hartford area (I assume) driving is probably the better option. And on a Saturday, traffic is not the usual concern so I would just go with google directions,but try to find out if there are any construction issues, especially in NYC.
I agree, driving will be best and fastest. You're not really driving in the city, mostly on the highways. Borrow a GPS for peace of mind in case, as said in Deliverance, "You done taken a wrong turn".

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Oh! I forgot to mention, in the same line as the poster above, as a former New Yorker (born and living in the city for decades) PLEASE remember to lock you car doors immediately upon beginning your trip into NYC. The reason for this is that when you have to stop for a red light and you have, for example, CT plates, you are inviting trouble from unwanted folks with squeegees, etc.

Reaction Score
Man, I wonder if we could market the terrific public transportation tour guide in this thread. Fascinating to me even as somebody who lived in the City for several years.

Just don't ask the board for stock market tips. Any strategic consensus among these clowns would be really scary.

I am still deducting losses from a soaking taken 8 years ago.

Reaction Score
Nan,

If you take the train & subway,
you can either take #4 from Grand Central to Brooklyn's Borough Hall and Wakk a few blocks to Poly,
or take #4 from Grand Central, transfer to #6 (same platform) at 14th street-Union-Square, for one stop to Bleeker Street, transfer to F Train and get out at Jay Street - Metro Tech right at the corner of Poly.
F-A-C train not only closer but also more comfortable than #4 (IRT Trains).

If you drive (which I would):
There is a parking lot right across Jay street from Poly main entry (the main entry used to be 333 Jay Street before the metro tech).
Off-Street parking, if you can't find any space around the metro tech, then you may try areas around Borough Hall/Brooklyn Heights.

From CT:
84->684->Hutchinson River Pkway->278->Third Ave Bridge->Harlem River Drive->FDR Drive->Manhattan Bridge/Brooklyn Bridge
Or Hutch->Cross County->I-87S -. Thrid Ave Bridge then same as above.

If you don't mind paying for the bridge tolls (6.50 each way):
You can take Tri-borough Bridge from either I-278 (Bruckner X'way) or I-87. After the bridge, take I-278 all the way to Brooklyn. Traffic maybe heavy between LI Expressway and Williamsburg Bridge.

As the other poster mentioned that you can Whitestoen Bridge->Van Wyck->Iner-Borough Parkway. The proble is after Inter-Borough, you have to drive in the streets of Brooklyn quiet extensively, and it may not be as a pleasent drive as in Manhattan/Queens.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. The Boneyard is usually the first place I go when I need info.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
VauConn
Giuliani got rid of the Squeegee's round about 1995.
You're reliving an ancient ritual
C'mon down mun, things have changed
(attempting Jamaican accent)!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
VauConn
very true, I was going to mention that but...!

remember 42nd Street in the early 80's (my teen yrs) holy cow

Reaction Score
VauConn
I was beginning to think that we should have provided Nan with an EPIRB (Emergency radio beacon).:)

Yes, for a long time now NYC has been a great and safe city. The subway is a wonderful way to get around. I can understand how visitors can be intimidated by it's vastness and complexity. But, there is little one can do that is more pleasurable and cost effective than a day spent just walking around the city and taking in it's wonders.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. The Boneyard is usually the first place I go when I need info.
Same here. Or unsolicited advice. :)

Will we get a trip report?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Will we get a trip report?
The trip wasn't bad at all. It was 93 miles and Mapquest told me it would take 2 hrs, 7 minutes but we made it in 1 hr, 45 minutes. We went I-95 to I-278 and basically got off the highway a couple of blocks from NYU-Poly. The Marriott across the street had public parking. No problems at all. The worst part of the trip was going home as there were several stretches of I-95 in Connecticut with construction. Anyone traveling across the shoreline would be better served by using the Merritt, if possible.

I don't think NYU-Poly is for my son, though. NYU is absorbing the Polytechnic Institute and my son would be able to take classes at NYU but it's basically a commuter school with a limited on-campus student population and not much in the way of student life (activities, clubs, etc). Our next trip will probably be to WPI, which I know how to get to, lol.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Just curious - has your son considered Drexel? They have a well respected engineering program.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just curious - has your son considered Drexel? They have a well respected engineering program.
He did take a look at Drexel. His first choice is to stay within 2-3 hours from home so we're looking at WPI, MIT, RPI, UConn and Northeastern right now. If those don't pan out, he'll expand his search down to Philly since there are a lot of great schools in the area. If Cornell weren't out in God's country, he'd be looking at that school hard but given where it is and how far it is from home, he would not thrive there.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Nan
Here you are, an intrepid, educated woman living a mere 90+ miles from New York and you are clearly bit intimidated and clearly unknowledgable regarding travel to the City. And from reading the posts, it seems you are not alone, many of the posters relied on past knowledge, decades out of date.

What difference does this make?

Its just a shame that the unbelievable and unsurpassed riches; cultural events, cuisine, park lands, ambience, and sights that is New York City, now one of the safest cities in the world, is regularly avoided by enormous numbers of folks, many who could most profit from it. Not far from where you were is Juniors, not a great restaurant, but a New York institution, the Heights with its magnificent river walk and BAM, one of the great cultural centers of the World...and that's just one neighborhood in Brooklyn.

I have regularly made the trip out to Hartford (merely long) and Storrs (quite rigorous) because there is a unique brand of sports entertainment available only there.

But New York is a wonder and very welcoming. Please come again.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan
Here you are, an intrepid, educated woman living a mere 90+ miles from New York and you are clearly bit intimidated and clearly unknowledgable regarding travel to the City. And from reading the posts, it seems you are not alone, many of the posters relied on past knowledge, decades out of date.

But New York is a wonder and very welcoming. Please come again.
Clearly intimidated and unknowledgable? Not sure where you get that from.

I go to NYC several times a year, most recently in February when the family went down to the Museum of Natural History and to hang out and have lunch. I have never been to Brooklyn, though, and wasn't sure of the traffic patterns, roads especially of current construction other slowdowns that might make taking the train more advisable. I honestly didn't know which way was most efficient, so I asked.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
He did take a look at Drexel. His first choice is to stay within 2-3 hours from home so we're looking at WPI, MIT, RPI, UConn and Northeastern right now. If those don't pan out, he'll expand his search down to Philly since there are a lot of great schools in the area. If Cornell weren't out in God's country, he'd be looking at that school hard but given where it is and how far it is from home, he would not thrive there.

Nan,

My younger son went to Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh. I know you thought 2-3 hrs was the max..and that's more like 8. But if you want to talk CMU, just let me know. That school also isn't for everyone - location, population, intensity. But if he wants engineering...its a great place.

Alan

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Carnegie Melllon is an awesome education and a tremendous school for numerous reasons.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, well, Cal Tech is also a great school but he's not going there, either. Some kids flourish when they move away from family and friends and some don't. My son wants to stay close to home and there's nothing wrong with that.

The best engineering school in the country, maybe the world, is in Boston, reasonably close to home and in a fabulous city with a great college environment. He has a legit chance of getting in so he's taking a shot at it.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Se o
Yeah, well, Cal Tech is also a great school but he's not going there, either. Some kids flourish when they move away from family and friends and some don't. My son wants to stay close to home and there's nothing wrong with that.

The best engineering school in the country, maybe the world, is in Boston, reasonably close to home and in a fabulous city with a great college environment. He has a legit chance of getting in so he's taking a shot at it.
Second best engineering school in Boston might be Tufts.. At least it was many years ago, when I was there.
But if he gets into MIT, wow, that's a smart and hard working kid.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The trip wasn't bad at all. It was 93 miles and Mapquest told me it would take 2 hrs, 7 minutes but we made it in 1 hr, 45 minutes. We went I-95 to I-278 and basically got off the highway a couple of blocks from NYU-Poly. The Marriott across the street had public parking. No problems at all. The worst part of the trip was going home as there were several stretches of I-95 in Connecticut with construction. Anyone traveling across the shoreline would be better served by using the Merritt, if possible.

I don't think NYU-Poly is for my son, though. NYU is absorbing the Polytechnic Institute and my son would be able to take classes at NYU but it's basically a commuter school with a limited on-campus student population and not much in the way of student life (activities, clubs, etc). Our next trip will probably be to WPI, which I know how to get to, lol.
Thanks for the update. At least there were no NYC transportation nightmares.

I guess your son can narrow his list. Connecticut is fairly close to a number of good options.

Reaction Score

Not much of a women's basketball program though. Have a family member who is an MIT grad and met his wife there. They had a great experience there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom