OT: Coalition to Fire Brian Koontz - We Have Jackets | The Boneyard

OT: Coalition to Fire Brian Koontz - We Have Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That is a hilariously bad article. Among other head scratchers, Koontz actually makes fun of the crowd for cheering for Boat's 1st half buzzer-beater. What were they supposed to do, golf clap?

What is wrong with this guy?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This is his twitter photo.

32405836-883b-415e-99e1-d0a319bff959.png

Add him to the list with Dez Connor and Mike D. of guys who are openly fans of rival schools that cover UConn. Not saying they don't have the right to their opinions or that they're always wrong, just that I find it incredibly strange. Only national comp. I can think of is Thayer Evans covering Okie State, and we saw how that went.

Among the great national guys, you usually have no idea what their alma mater is. Because you can't tell in their writing and even more because they don't openly flaunt it in everyone's face like these three do.

TL;DR - There's a reason you work for a small daily. Stuff like this is one reason why.

Reaction Score
This is my position as well:

You can be snarky Cuse guy. But you can't be a PomPom waving Orange fan writing about the State of Connecticut's biggest Sports Team.

This is the idiot who followed Jake Voskuhl's out to the parking lot to see the SUV he drove. Thinking he had a BIG scoop. (Jakes uncle gave him the new ride). 15+ years of nasty Brian Koonz - just hired by Hearst & now - once again - covering us.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is the idiot who followed Jake Voskuhl's out to the parking lot to see the SUV he drove. Thinking he had a BIG scoop. (Jakes uncle gave him the new ride). 15+ years of nasty Brian Koonz - just hired by Hearst & now - once again - covering us.
Yep. And he was sure quick to float damaging questions about that, too, wasn't he? Funny, I don't remember him printing a mea culpa when his spurious accusations came up empty.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That was an awful article. He's looking for a repeat of the National Championship in December with a team who lost 75% of their rebounding, 65% of their scoring, and Cousy Award winner from an actual NC team. How exactly are expectations higher.

Reminds me of that poster who, before the season, said UConn had a 50/50 chance of repeating (and he didn't mean they either will or won't).

Reaction Score
The worst part of sports writers like him is that the general public takes his opinion to be fact and thus clouds the general consensus of the real fandom.

Reaction Score
What a dope this guy continues to be. If he did this vs Yale he may have had some points because that should never have happened. But do your homework before you embarrass yourself Brian. They were ahead of the unanimous #1 team in the country on their home floor in the 2nd half and lost by 10. This isn't your typical "Ivy League December tune up" you moron.

How do the papers continue to allow this BS to print? It amazes me.

Reaction Score
not much to add here, but this guy clearly doesn't know much about UConn or the landscape of college hoops. Say what you want, but last night's win was completley needed and in my opinion, was impressive. I don't care if it's Columbia - they are actually a legitimate team, who the author neglected to mention gave Kentucky fits. UConn showed outside shooting for the first time all season and has a right to be passionate after hitting a halftime buzzer beater giving them momentum. Silly premise. KO did not have a scowl. He had "a we're going to get this win tonight, no matter what face," with Boat executing on his behalf on the court. Stupid article. Stupid premise. There are plenty of other authors to read. He can get disdik.

Reaction Score
He doesn't tell us the score of the game until the 5th paragraph.
Where did this clown go to journalism school?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
It's all about clicks and talking points.

THIS.
I feel like I could write a better article. He's full of bullsh!t quips and it's just a really poor attempt at controversial editorializing.

Ignore the fool.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Oh Lord. I made the mistake of actually trying to read that piece of drivel. Now I've got a bad taste in my mouth that won't go away. I need to go vomit that load back out or something.

Reaction Score
first article I've ever read from dude and one is enough, best thing to do is to not even give him clicks. someone might want to explain to him how "scholarships" work in the Ivy League, they're not holding open tryouts for roster spots.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
So we get a Syracuse alum writer to replace our best beat guy, and a Syracuse/Eagles fan to replace Emily Noonan. Should've known this would be a down season.

Reaction Score
This is his twitter photo.

32405836-883b-415e-99e1-d0a319bff959.png

Add him to the list with Dez Connor and Mike D. of guys who are openly fans of rival schools that cover UConn. Not saying they don't have the right to their opinions or that they're always wrong, just that I find it incredibly strange. Only national comp. I can think of is Thayer Evans covering Okie State, and we saw how that went.

Among the great national guys, you usually have no idea what their alma mater is. Because you can't tell in their writing and even more because they don't openly flaunt it in everyone's face like these three do.

TL;DR - There's a reason you work for a small daily. Stuff like this is one reason why.

Pete Thamel.

Reaction Score
So we get a Syracuse alum writer to replace our best beat guy, and a Syracuse/Eagles fan to replace Emily Noonan. Should've known this would be a down season.

Where is Emily anyway???

Reaction Score
Without even considering his views, his writing is very amateurish -- there's no continuity in his thoughts, it's so disjointed.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
what an idiot, dude's a

obviously knows very little about Columbia, experience, the scare they threw at UK and even less about competitive basketball

the line "zero scholarship players" shows where his heart is at, it's a hit piece. A bad attempt at one, but one nonetheless

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
what an idiot, dude's a

obviously knows very little about Columbia, experience, the scare they threw at UK and even less about competitive basketball...

He knows exactly what Columbia did against UK, but mentioning it would diminish his point, so it was conveniently left out and replaced by descriptors that undersell the quality of Columbia.

This clown has a history and that alone should have prevented him from landing this job. I won't be caught clicking on that tool's work again.

Reaction Score
Everyone who described this as poorly written wasn't sugar coating it. That's pretty poor stuff for a professional, especially the lemon stuff at the beginning.

It was also hard to believe he mocked the crowd for cheering Boatright's 3. That's simple stuff: UConn player does something good, crowd reacts positively. It's not a sign of something larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom