Chromecast and ESPN3/WatchESPN | The Boneyard

Chromecast and ESPN3/WatchESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just received my Chromecast today. Can anyone help me figure out how to view ESPN3/WatchESPN on it? I have an iPhone 4S and we connect through U-Verse.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
What I can I tell you from my limited experience/one attempt is that you will not be able to open up up a full screen on your TV from your phone like you could if you were using Netflix. If you've used chrome cast with netflix You'll notice that on your viewing screen you have your chronicles icon that looks like a wifi icon tilted toward the right. That doesn't appear on the espn three viewing screen. On my laptop I got chromecast app for the chrome browser so while I can see the espn 3 page on my TV once I open up a game on my laptop I see it on the computer but not the TV. I have only made one attempt and have no idea if espn three has been made chronicler compatible since.

Reaction Score
What I can I tell you from my limited experience/one attempt is that you will not be able to open up up a full screen on your TV from your phone like you could if you were using Netflix. If you've used chrome cast with netflix You'll notice that on your viewing screen you have your chronicles icon that looks like a wifi icon tilted toward the right. That doesn't appear on the espn three viewing screen. On my laptop I got chromecast app for the chrome browser so while I can see the espn 3 page on my TV once I open up a game on my laptop I see it on the computer but not the TV. I have only made one attempt and have no idea if espn three has been made chronicler compatible since.

The only two options that come up on the iPhone Chromecast app for viewing are YouTube and Netflix. Do I have to do anything in particular to enable me to stream ESPN3 or WatchESPN to the Chromecast from my phone?

The first video I streamed to the TV? Obviously...

Reaction Score
I was trying to type from my phone earlier which is always an adventure with auto correct. Long story short I tried using chrome cast and espn 3, with my laptop, and while I could view the espn 3 web page on both my lap top and tv when I clicked on a game it would only show on my laptop and there was no way for me to see the game on the tv. The two are not compatible yet. Youtube is owned by google I believe, and they cut a deal with netflix. I do not know of any other video viewing apps that are yet compatible though I admittedly I haven't tried amazon prime or any other. Espn3 Chromecast may = SOL for now. I also opened up my Watch Espn app on my droid to see if there was an option to stream via chrome cast and didn't see it. Checked for an update also and I don't see one.

If you use google chrome on a laptop there is a download or app available for the browser to make it compatible with chrome cast and that is what I used, but like I said it was useless to try and re watch the actual towson replay i was trying to watch.

Reaction Score
The only thing I'll add is that you have an xbox 360, with xbox live, it is the absolute best way to use Espn 3. I freaking love switching back and forth to obscure games like Temple/Fordham that you wouldn't normally get to see.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Low tech but I just run an HDMI cable from my laptop to my tv. Works great and my only investment was the cable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I just gave it a shot and it doesn't work. You're limited to Netflix, YouTube and casting a browser tab which is almost perfectly useless.

The irony is that when you launch the player on ESPN3, it shows you an ad for Chromecast.

I used to use a mini-computer hooked up to the television to watch ESPN3, but they released an app for the Apple TV a few weeks back and that much more convenient.

Reaction Score
Just received my Chromecast today. Can anyone help me figure out how to view ESPN3/WatchESPN on it? I have an iPhone 4S and we connect through U-Verse.

Thanks in advance.
Not sure you'll see this anytime soon. It would be like biting the hand that feeds you... ESPN is where they are because of cable tv.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure you'll see this anytime soon. It would be like biting the hand that feeds you... ESPN is where they are because of cable tv.

There is no reason why they wouldn't do it - they have an WatchESPN out for smartphones, tablets and they're now on AppleTV. Getting those streams to work requires an authentication using your cable subscription.

Problem right now is that Chromecast is a) very new and b) rather limited - it needs another device to be of any use.

Reaction Score
There is no reason why they wouldn't do it - they have an WatchESPN out for smartphones, tablets and they're now on AppleTV. Getting those streams to work requires an authentication using your cable subscription.

Problem right now is that Chromecast is a) very new and b) rather limited - it needs another device to be of any use.
My point was that if you just had an internet connection, with NO cable tv, I think ESPN would be reluctant to provide you with free programming. To my understanding, that's pretty much what ESPN programming on Chromecast would be. Unless of course, you paid ESPN directly for viewing whatever game you wanted.

Reaction Score
Cast your PC chrome tab to your chromecast. Fiddle around with the settings, it'll work with some experimenting.

I know people who watch NFL Sunday Ticket using it.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

You can't log in to these apps without a cable subscription user name, so they really aren't biting anything. Just giving existing customers more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom