OT Celtics / Heat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Celtics / Heat

Reaction Score
Celtics are the better team gotta get the lead up as much as possible can't put it in the refs hands.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
the warriors play GIF

Reaction Score
Celtics love playing with fire doing everything the hard way and yes they can beat GS, get them in a close game and see how they react.

Reaction Score
Butler should have taken it to the hole for the tie but then again if he knocked down the three I doubt celts recover

Reaction Score
I still don't understand how the over didn't hit, completely and totally bewildering turn of events :mad:

Reaction Score
Celtics are a good team but they caught enormous breaks this playoffs. With Middleton the Bucks would've knocked them off, and the Herro injury was huge. Warriors look to be largely healthy and rested, Celtics will have to earn it against them.

Reaction Score
Refs were awful to Celtics in 2Q and really kind in the beginning of Q3. Celtics back in control.
It was really controlled.

Heat had 22 FTs to Celtics 8 in 1st half. And they were down 4 despite missing a ton of shots and turnovers.

The foul disparity turned around in the second half and it was the Celtics +10. Which resulted in the Celtics building a 10+ lead for most of the half.

The more aggressive team is going to get the calls, and also build leads, so it's not all down to the refs, but when both teams are playing this kind of gritty aggressive ball? The control of the game was really determined by who got to the line.

Reaction Score
Jaylen Brown was the star last night. Didn't really hear him mentioned in the postgame shows.

Reaction Score
Celtics are a good team but they caught enormous breaks this playoffs. With Middleton the Bucks would've knocked them off, and the Herro injury was huge. Warriors look to be largely healthy and rested, Celtics will have to earn it against them.
I get that but remember that Robert Williams has been playing hurt and missed some games. He's a big part of what they do defensively. He was terrible last night so he's obviously still hurting. And Marcus Smart has been hurt and missed a few games. So it's not like the Celtics haven't had their share of injuries also.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I thought they were gacking that one for sure. Thank God for Horford and Smart. I knew that last Butler shot would miss. Had a feeling.

Warriors will be very tough.

Reaction Score
The star last night was the flu.it kept van gundy from talking too much about the bad calls over and over.i was able to listen to the game with the volume up thank you flu and go celts!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I get that but remember that Robert Williams has been playing hurt and missed some games. He's a big part of what they do defensively. He was terrible last night so he's obviously still hurting. And Marcus Smart has been hurt and missed a few games. So it's not like the Celtics haven't had their share of injuries also.
Yeah, I think @superjohn assumes too much. Middleton was a big loss for the Bucks, but Bobby Portis was mostly outstanding early in the series and was the key to the Bucks winning game 1. Game 3 was Boston blowing a game they led throughout. Series shouldn't have even gone 7. There's no way to know who wins if Middleton plays.

For Miami, Herro is arguably less important than Boston missing or having a very limited Rob Williams, given the need to defend Bam. Smart missed games and played on that ankle sprain. Herro is a hell of a shooter, but his defense is not at the level Miami needed in this series.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think @superjohn assumes too much. Middleton was a big loss for the Bucks, but Bobby Portis was mostly outstanding early in the series and was the key to the Bucks winning game 1. Game 3 was Boston blowing a game they led throughout. Series shouldn't have even gone 7. There's no way to know who wins if Middleton plays.

For Miami, Herro is arguably less important than Boston missing or having a very limited Rob Williams, given the need to defend Bam. Smart missed games and played on that ankle sprain. Herro is a hell of a shooter, but his defense is not at the level Miami needed in this series.
My statement shouldn't be controversial, Bucks didn't have by far their second best player for the entire series, Middleton is one of the best closers in the NBA. Take Jaylen Brown off the Celtics for the entire series and they aren't going to fare so well.

Miami struggles to score points, with no Herro it puts the scoring load on Butler.

If they beat a healthy Warriors team they'll have earned it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I don't disagree with that but I'd also point out that, in addition to dealing with (less critical) injuries themselves, the Celtics have thoroughly outplayed their opponents. Yes, they had to win two 7-game series, but they controlled both of those series.

The Celtics deserved some good injury-related luck, too, after the last few seasons.

Reaction Score
This from a Celtics fan from waaaay back when.

I hope they win but I am not optimistic. They are too prone to allowing their opponents to go on scoring runs. They have zero experience in the NBA Finals. The Warriors are hot, experienced, healthy and most of all confident.

Hoping the C’s are not swept.

Reaction Score
Celtics playoff performance has been odd. Not so great in tight games, but got it done in the end. I think the issue is their reliance on threes.... but that's a problem for basically all teams now.

Despite some of the inconsistent play I really like the matchup vs the Warriors. Overall I think that playoffs have not been great. Seems like a lot of blowouts. Hoping Celtics vs Warriors changes that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My statement shouldn't be controversial, Bucks didn't have by far their second best player for the entire series, Middleton is one of the best closers in the NBA. Take Jaylen Brown off the Celtics for the entire series and they aren't going to fare so well.

Miami struggles to score points, with no Herro it puts the scoring load on Butler.

If they beat a healthy Warriors team they'll have earned it.
Only in that you said they wouldn't have won, which we obviously don't know. I agreed Middleton is a big loss, but they played Portis instead, who is in some ways a tougher matchup for Boston. Herro for the Heat, not so much. His D is weak and would likely have limited his minutes anyway. Williams was a bigger loss to Boston than Herro, because when healthy he takes Bam away.

This will be an interesting and very different series. Likely not as physical, and GS will test the defense differently with more outside shooting but less offense at the rim. GS also isn't going to defend at the level Milwaukee and Miami can and did.

Reaction Score
This from a Celtics fan from waaaay back when.

I hope they win but I am not optimistic. They are too prone to allowing their opponents to go on scoring runs. They have zero experience in the NBA Finals. The Warriors are hot, experienced, healthy and most of all confident.

Hoping the C’s are not swept.
I don't think they'll get swept but I have low expectations going into the series. I just don't see the Celtics winning 4 games over the Warriors.

Reaction Score
Only in that you said they wouldn't have won, which we obviously don't know. I agreed Middleton is a big loss, but they played Portis instead, who is in some ways a tougher matchup for Boston.
but the bucks didnt play portis instead of middelton, they played pat connaughton and grayson allen instead of middleton, that's a gigantic drop off in talent

i think it's pretty safe to assume that if the bucks had their second best player they would have won that 7 game series. it is what it is the nba needs to shorten the season or key players are going to keep missing playoff games.

having said that i still think the celtics are worthy and the finals will go the distance with the warriors winning game 7 at home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
edit- the bucks primarily played wes matthews instead of middleton. but the point stands, he only started 14 games all year and then had to start all 12 playoff games.

Reaction Score
I don't think they'll get swept but I have low expectations going into the series. I just don't see the Celtics winning 4 games over the Warriors.

Just out of curiosity, why? An innate Boston fatalism? Golden State is certainly good but this is not the Warriors team of a few year ago and the Celtics match up well with them. There's only one team in the league with a winning record against the Steve Kerr era Warriors, and you can probably guess who that is.

People can minimize this Celtics run by saying they haven't "earned" it, whatever that means, but this is also going to be the best team Golden State has played thus far by a pretty wide margin. I'm not guaranteeing a Celtics win - I think it'll be a good series - but the people talking about "I hope they don't get swept" seem to be basing that on something other than reality.

Reaction Score
Much as i hate the Celts I’ve seen ‘em win too many series over the years to ever count them out. Smart vs Steph and Jayson vs Draymond make for some great matchups.
I’ve got Boston pulling it out in 7 tough games.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, why? An innate Boston fatalism? Golden State is certainly good but this is not the Warriors team of a few year ago and the Celtics match up well with them. There's only one team in the league with a winning record against the Steve Kerr era Warriors, and you can probably guess who that is.

People can minimize this Celtics run by saying they haven't "earned" it, whatever that means, but this is also going to be the best team Golden State has played thus far by a pretty wide margin. I'm not guaranteeing a Celtics win - I think it'll be a good series - but the people talking about "I hope they don't get swept" seem to be basing that on something other than reality.
I really like this particular Celtics team, since January, when they finally embraced what Ime was telling them. I watched them fail against the Heat a few years back, making back shots, too much ISO, lazy D. Then Philly steamrolled them last year. Now, it's a more mature, likeable group of guys who play very tough defense and (mostly) move the ball on offense. Tatum's big change is his passing has been tremendous. You double him and he makes you pay. Rob Williams has really improved in all phases. Smart told people he was a PG and nobody believed him until halfway through this year when Ime finally let him do it. He still shoots too much, but he's averaging 7 assists over his last 10 games. Al is a timeless warrior, always a class act (with an attractive sister as a super Celtics fan). Not sure who would root against him. Brown is mercurial, but plays hard on both ends. Four of those guys were drafted by the Celtics. It's not a rent-a-team like the current Lakers or Nets.

The Warriors are the standard bearers. No doubt. But they mostly haven't faced great defenses so far, and Boston has just played two of the best back to back. Denver was the worst defensive team in the playoffs and the Mavs aren't great. Memphis is legit, but still not as good as Boston, and that series went 6. Thinking this one will be a sweep is silly. The rest is going to help Boston.

Reaction Score
I ran a simulation on what if sports and its got the Celtics winning the series in 5 games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom