OT-CCSU TO OPEN AT SYRACUSE NEXT YEAR | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-CCSU TO OPEN AT SYRACUSE NEXT YEAR

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Getting back on track here.....does CCSU actually count towards bowl eligibility? Did anyone ever figure that one out? I'd be shocked that they'd get Syracuse calling if it didn't count for anything. If they do count now, why not get them on the schedule. Rather see us play CCSU then Holy Cross.

Reaction Score
I think they now do count for bowl eligibility. Norfolk state did and so did that team BC played a couple of years ago and Wagner who is in Centrals conference did for BC last year. But I don't care if they count. There is zero benefit from playing a team at that level. Holy Cross is low enough. I much prefer the d Yankee Conference level teams.

Reaction Score
Getting back on track here.....does CCSU actually count towards bowl eligibility? Did anyone ever figure that one out? I'd be shocked that they'd get Syracuse calling if it didn't count for anything. If they do count now, why not get them on the schedule. Rather see us play CCSU then Holy Cross.

The NEC now allows up to 45 athletic scholarships for football, plus an additional 18 grants-in-aid for a total of the FCS limit of 63 equivalences, not to be split among more than 85 players. Using this combination, NEC teams can achieve the NCAA required 57.5 equivalences over a 2-year rolling average to be a "bowl counter."

Wagner has been using this combo of scholarships/grants to be bowl eligible for a few seasons now and has been regularly scheduling FBS games including vs. UConn:

Wagner FBS opponents:
2019 - at Connecticut (AAC)
2018 - at Syracuse (ACC)
2017 - at Western Michigan (MAC)
2016 - at Boston College (ACC); at Massachusetts (Ind)
2015 - at Rice (C-USA); at Brigham Young (Ind)
2014 - at Florida International (C-USA)
2013 - at Syracuse (ACC)
2012 - at Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt)

CCSU has already played 1 FBS opponent as a non-counter - a 51-14 loss at Western Michigan on 9/22/2007. Central has 2 more FBS opponents scheduled in the upcoming seasons:

Sep. 2, 2017 - at Syracuse (ACC)
Aug. 30, 2018 - at Ball State (MAC)

I would expect Central will continue to schedule 1 FBS opponent annually, as most FCS teams do, to financially support the football/athletic program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom