OT - Cards Braves Playoff Game | The Boneyard

OT - Cards Braves Playoff Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Did you just see one of the worst calls ever? Just wow. It sort of hurt the Braves, but it also hurt the Cardinals.

If there was no infield fly rule call, I think the guy catches it. He backs off as the umpire calls (thinking his outfielder was calling him off?) But if it was called early like it supposed to be, the runners retreat to their bases and have no chance to advance. It's very likely he catches it if he the ump wasn't there and nobody advances. Bad call that hurts both teams in a way. Weird.

Reaction Score
Did you just see one of the worst calls ever? Just wow. It sort of hurt the Braves, but it also hurt the Cardinals.

If there was no infield fly rule call, I think the guy catches it. He backs off as the umpire calls (thinking his outfielder was calling him off?) But if it was called early like it supposed to be, the runners retreat to their bases and have no chance to advance. It's very likely he catches it if he the ump wasn't there and nobody advances. Bad call that hurts both teams in a way. Weird.

He ducked away from catching before the umpire called. Pure screwjob for the Braves (who I'm a fan of). This on top of the friggin' errors, this really couldn't have gone much worse.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
He ducked away from catching before the umpire called. Pure screwjob for the Braves (who I'm a fan of). This on top of the friggin' errors, this really couldn't have gone much worse.

The call was simply made way to late in the play. While I agree that it was a bad call , that is only because it was nearly on the ground before the ump ruled in an infield fly. If that call was made as the infielder is backpedaling, I'd have no problem with it.

That said, I don't think the call impacted the way the Cards played it in any way.

Reaction Score
I hope this helps MLB realize what an awful idea this play in game is. I have many reasons for disliking it, but what is apparent in this circumstance is that ANYTHING can decide one game. Teams that make it to playoffs deserve a series of game to prove themselves; even if it means having less teams in the playoffs. It was fine the way it was.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I hope this helps MLB realize what an awful idea this play in game is. I have many reasons for disliking it, but what is apparent in this circumstance is that ANYTHING can decide one game. Teams that make it to playoffs deserve a series of game to prove themselves; even if it means having less teams in the playoffs. It was fine the way it was.
I'm a Cardinal fan and couldn't be more please we get a real series going forward, but I totally agree with you, a one game playoff is completely ridiculous. It's a shame that Atlanta who finished way in front of the Cardinals are going home because of one game. I don't think the call really made a difference in the game - the errors were way more impactful. You can't have two teams play a 3 or 5 game series with travel while the other 3 teams rest - that wouldn't work. So you either have to have 4 teams or you have to go to 8 teams. Perhaps you could have 7 teams with the top team getting a long rest and the other six playing off three game series to get to 4 teams, but that would just extend the season into ice wars which is never good. Bottom line, 4 teams worked fine - win your division or be the next best team and everyone else can go figure out where to golf.

OK this was way too long. Bottom line: a 1 game playoff is stupid and hurts the team that should be rewarded.

That being said 'Go Cards!'

Reaction Score
The call was simply made way to late in the play. While I agree that it was a bad call , that is only because it was nearly on the ground before the ump ruled in an infield fly. If that call was made as the infielder is backpedaling, I'd have no problem with it.

That said, I don't think the call impacted the way the Cards played it in any way.

Not the fact that it was, you know, way into the friggin' outfield?

zcXlT.png

Reaction Score
Root for the Braves when they aren't playing the Yanks. Total screwjob, however almost as shocking was chipper's error plus the short stop making two boneheaded plays. So while that play was one of the worst I have ever seen, the Braves left a ton of players on base and had those mishaps after being the best defensive team in the NL all year. Congrats to St. Loogie. One game playoffs should maybe require a review period on everything but balls and strikes after that.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Not the fact that it was, you know, way into the friggin' outfield?

zcXlT.png

You might think so, but no. There's nothing in the rule about where the ball actually is on the field, as long as it's in fair territory and being played by a player stationed in the infield (including the catcher). The rule also states that it is to be called immediately.

If the ump made that call as the shortstop, who waved off the outfielder, starts to track the ball down from his position, then it is actually the correct call.

Reaction Score

If the call wasn't made it is likely that the runner gets thrown out at the plate anyway. At the very least the runner gets thrown out at 3B because the ball was so shallow. The runner on 2B wasn't quite halfway on the play and probably didn't hear the call.
The umpire can legitimately make the infield fly call if the ball is in the outfield but that ball was way too deep and the fielder wasn't set long enough under the ball to make that call. Pretty bad.

Reaction Score
You might think so, but no. There's nothing in the rule about where the ball actually is on the field, as long as it's in fair territory and being played by a player stationed in the infield (including the catcher). The rule also states that it is to be called immediately.

If the ump made that call as the shortstop, who waved off the outfielder, starts to track the ball down from his position, then it is actually the correct call.
The first thing the umpire has to determine is if the ball qualifies as an infield fly BEFORE he makes the call. Then the call needs to made as quickly as possible. If the ball is near the line the call gets made like this: : "Infield fly, batter is out if fair" In this case it was the wrong call.

Reaction Score
Absolutely the wrong call and Torre has no balls at all. The ball was clearly in the outfield and the LF called the ss off the call was too late and the bases should have been loaded. That being said the Braves more than likely would not have scored. Look at the stats with runners in scoring position. I am a big Braves fan, but the stats don't bare that they would have scored. Tough loss. I believe they were doomed when Freddie called for Simmons to bunt with the pitcher up next.

Reaction Score
It was the right call. The SS could have caught it with no extraordinary effort and the ump made the call as soon as that became apparent. The rule is to prevent what the fielders weren't quick witted enough to do. Marty Barrett would have got under it, let it drop and made a double play (if it had been to right field, of course).

Reaction Score
It was the right call. The SS could have caught it with no extraordinary effort and the ump made the call as soon as that became apparent. The rule is to prevent what the fielders weren't quick witted enough to do. Marty Barrett would have got under it, let it drop and made a double play (if it had been to right field, of course).
No it wasn't the right call and it wasn't made correctly. The ball was too deep and the fielder was never set under the ball. The rule is pretty fuzzy and it comes down to judgement of the umpire but he made the call way too late. The runners were playing it half way when the ball hit the ground so the runners never heard the call.
The extraordinary effort really applies to balls that are in the infield and not to balls that are questionable in the outfield.This is why it is called the infield fly rule. When the ball is hit to the outfield more restrained judgement is supposed to apply. It was not a terrible call as some have said because it is purely umpire judgement. In this case the umpire's judgement was wrong.

Reaction Score
If the runners were halfway and the call wasn't made, there was going to be a double play whether it was caught or not, if the fielders had used their heads. That's what the rule is designed to prevent and that's why it was called.

Reaction Score
When the ball if 40 feet past the infield and is being potentially caught by the left fielder why make that call?

I understand the literal interpretation of the rule, but a lousy call and to call it so late.

Reaction Score
It makes no difference how far past the infield the ball is. In fact, in this case the left fielder could have made the trick double play even easier than the shortstop. If you're going to consider how far past the infield the ball is, then you would have to factor in how high the ball is hit, making the whole discussion even more complicated and meaningless. The ump made exactly the call the rule is designed for.

Reaction Score
I agree with the suggestion that adding the extra umps in the OF resulted in the call. No way a 4 team crew calls that and the rule says the call must be made immediately, it wasn't. Terrible call.

It makes no difference how far past the infield the ball is. In fact, in this case the left fielder could have made the trick double play even easier than the shortstop. If you're going to consider how far past the infield the ball is, then you would have to factor in how high the ball is hit, making the whole discussion even more complicated and meaningless. The ump made exactly the call the rule is designed for.

Reaction Score
Actually all those are factors the umpire has to consider in a few seconds.It is more complicated and difficult than you are making it. The fact that the left fielder was involved at all makes the infield fly call suspect. The rule was designed to stop infielders from intentionally dropping a fly balls with more than 1 runner on in a force situation and less than 2 outs. The call is only made when it is obvious, not questionable and that is why I believe it was the wrong call, not an incorrect call.The fact that he made the call late complicated matters.

Reaction Score
I never meant to say it was an easy or simple call. Far from it. Not only was it a difficult interpretation, but we've had a whole day to watch and analyze. My hat's off to the ump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom